Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2020, 10:42   #1
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
New anchor swivel and shackle

After 15 years of flawless service, I decided to replace these with shiny new ones. Of course I replaced with the same type

This is a Crosby 3/4” shackle and a Chicago hardware 3/4” swivel. They attach a 3/8” G7 chain to my Bruce 176 lb anchor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBDF2D3E-5ACF-42C6-9D1F-AD84FEF50B06.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	207230  
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 10:54   #2

Re: New anchor swivel and shackle

Very nice. Care to enlighten us as to which end connects to the anchor and which to the chain?

I'm sure someone would ask, and I have to dig out my Calder's Cruisers Handbook to find out the answer!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 23:05   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The shackle goes to the anchor but with the pin to the swivel, like so:
Old 26-01-2020, 00:06   #4

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The shackle goes to the anchor but with the pin to the swivel, like so:

We currently have a Spade anchor connected via two shackles to 1/2” chain. We use 16mm tested shackles that nicely match work loads with the chain and the pins just fit the chain link. Originally we had the bow of the shackle through the a lot on the anchor shank.

However, we noticed several times recently after lots of circling that the anchor would come up with the first shackle sideways in the anchor shank and the second shackle. Very not good!

So, it’s pin through the shank and bow to bow for the two shackles. No chance of turning sideways now.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 00:08   #5

Quote:
After 15 years of flawless service, I decided to replace these with shiny new ones. Of course I replaced with the same type

This is a Crosby 3/4” shackle and a Chicago hardware 3/4” swivel. They attach a 3/8” G7 chain to my Bruce 176 lb anchor.

Where do you buy the Chicago hardware 3/4” swivel? Looks like a very good replacement for the SS WASI Powerball swivel we’re using now. Thanks.
Old 26-01-2020, 07:10   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
We currently have a Spade anchor connected via two shackles to 1/2” chain. We use 16mm tested shackles that nicely match work loads with the chain and the pins just fit the chain link. Originally we had the bow of the shackle through the a lot on the anchor shank.

However, we noticed several times recently after lots of circling that the anchor would come up with the first shackle sideways in the anchor shank and the second shackle. Very not good!

So, it’s pin through the shank and bow to bow for the two shackles. No chance of turning sideways now.
I like the bow to the shank as it prevents angled pulls on the pins. What you describe is what I get when I replace the swivel with a shackle. Also, after a season of use the chain becomes twisted in the chain locker. After untwisting and putting the swivel back in, I never looked back as it’s a flawless operation.

I was about to order shackle and swivel direct from Crosby but was put off by their shipping charge so I went for Defender instead, who did have the Crosby shackle but the Chicago Hardware swivel instead of the Crosby. I believe my old one is Chicago Hardware as well and I have no complaints
Old 26-01-2020, 18:00   #7

Quote:
I like the bow to the shank as it prevents angled pulls on the pins. What you describe is what I get when I replace the swivel with a shackle. Also, after a season of use the chain becomes twisted in the chain locker. After untwisting and putting the swivel back in, I never looked back as it’s a flawless operation.

I was about to order shackle and swivel direct from Crosby but was put off by their shipping charge so I went for Defender instead, who did have the Crosby shackle but the Chicago Hardware swivel instead of the Crosby. I believe my old one is Chicago Hardware as well and I have no complaints

OK, I’ll look at the Defender site. I’m in NA for the next week so if they have fast shipping I can carry it back to NZ.

My two shackles from anchor to chain connect 6 links, then the WASI Powerball. So there is a swivel in our system, but the first shackle in the slot of the shank does flip sideways when we mount it bow to the shank. Now it’s pin to the shank and no problems. Two bow shackles bow to bow at 90 degrees provide full range of movement so the chain never binds the shank and the swivel only takes tension loads along its axis.

Tags
anchor