Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2017, 14:17   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Pearson 10 Meter

I'm looking for any information on this boat I can get.

I've check it's PHRF and sailboatdata, but there isn't a whole lot more available.

How was it constructed?

What are the problems most folks see?

How does it sail, etc?

How about the Atomic engine?

Thanks,

Tom
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 14:25   #2

Re: Pearson 10 Meter

Long waterline, plenty of beam, skeg rudder. That stuff sounds good. PEARSON 10M sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
You can probably tell if its a cored hull by looking inside cabinets etc. My guess is not.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 14:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Long waterline, plenty of beam, skeg rudder. That stuff sounds good. PEARSON 10M sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
You can probably tell if its a cored hull by looking inside cabinets etc. My guess is not.
Thanks.

I understand the hull is not cored but may have some chainplate issues.

Plus the one I'm looking at has the old gas Atomic 4 engine whch shouldn't be a problem since I'm 60 plus. (everyone around my age has dealt with old gasoline engines since we were teens)

I'm looking for a bit more waterline (and sail area) so I'm not bouncing around so much and going nowhere in light wind. Plus this boat has a couple spinnakers and I raced for many years singlehanded with a spinnaker on my last beach cat

My Bristol 27 is great when the wind is up but not so much in light air and bouncy seas

And I'd like a bit more pointing and this boat has a near 6' draft
Old 20-09-2017, 14:43   #4

My guess is this is probably a solid fiberglass hull. I am definitely biased, but I have found my Pearson and friends' Pearsons to be very well-constructed boats that sail well. Many good ones can be found at a steal.

I had a C&C 30 with the Atomic 4. The engine is great (quiet, powerful, and very economical). The issue is gasoline. It's far more dangerous than diesel on a boat. You must make sure the engine compartment is well-ventilated and make sure your fuel tank and lines are in good shape. On a boat that old if they haven't been replaced, I'd think about replacing them. A fuel leak on that boat can send you into the next life pretty quick.

Like my boat, the rig is pretty conservative for its displacement.
Old 20-09-2017, 14:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
My guess is this is probably a solid fiberglass hull. I am definitely biased, but I have found my Pearson and friends' Pearsons to be very well-constructed boats that sail well. Many good ones can be found at a steal.

I had a C&C 30 with the Atomic 4. The engine is great (quiet, powerful, and very economical). The issue is gasoline. It's far more dangerous than diesel on a boat. You must make sure the engine compartment is well-ventilated and make sure your fuel tank and lines are in good shape. On a boat that old if they haven't been replaced, I'd think about replacing them. A fuel leak on that boat can send you into the next life pretty quick.

Like my boat, the rig is pretty conservative for its displacement.
I plan to make sure there are zero leaks on the engine and tank.

I have an outboard on my Bristol 27 now and cannot stand any gas leak smell especially since my last 4 sailboats were beach cats without engines that I raced for 15 years in Florida
Old 20-09-2017, 14:53   #6

Cool. My Atomic 4 ran great. I never pushed it too hard and it worked well for me. I was really amazed by how efficient it was for a gas powerplant.

I'm not sure if you're looking at a particular boat for sale, but if you can find one with a diesel for a similar price I think you'll have an easier time selling her when that day comes.
Old 20-09-2017, 14:57   #7

Boat: Pearson 10M

I have a 10M. The hull is solid and thick. The chainplates are not an issue with the later ones, I know there was a fix at some point. My 76 has large steel knees attached to the bulkhead.

The known issue is the mast step. The step and the bottom of mast corrode from sitting in water. Inspect the bottom of the mast. Some have cut off the bottom few inches and made a new step. Somewhere in this site below you will see info on this. Otherwise it is a fast boat for its size. Great in light air with the 150% headsail I have.

P e a r s o n &nbsp&nbsp 1 0 M
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 16:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagablu View Post
I have a 10M. The hull is solid and thick. The chainplates are not an issue with the later ones, I know there was a fix at some point. My 76 has large steel knees attached to the bulkhead.

The known issue is the mast step. The step and the bottom of mast corrode from sitting in water. Inspect the bottom of the mast. Some have cut off the bottom few inches and made a new step. Somewhere in this site below you will see info on this. Otherwise it is a fast boat for its size. Great in light air with the 150% headsail I have.

P e a r s o n &nbsp&nbsp 1 0 M
The keel is totally encapsulated right and not bolted on?
Old 20-09-2017, 16:52   #9

According to that owners website it's a bolt-on external lead ballast.

They did make Pearsons with encapsulated keels, like 365's, 424's...
Old 20-09-2017, 16:54   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
According to that owners website it's a bolt-on external lead ballast.

They did make Pearsons with encapsulated keels, like 365's, 424's...
Okay, thanks.

I missed that.

Tags
pearson