Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2018, 15:57   #1

Abacos or Cuba

Hi, we're looking to do a caribbean bare boat this summer, July or August, either Abacos or Cuba. We are experienced sailors, have owned boats, sailed off shore and have done many charters but not in these waters. We're hoping for any comments, suggestions, warnings, or any helpful information, especially about Cuba. We have some info from our charter company, Dream Yacht Charters, but would appreciate hearing from sailors with first hand experience. I realize weather could be an issue (hurricanes) but would welcome information on provisioning, local attitudes, restaurants ashore, desirable anchorages and any local knowledge that me be beneficial to sailors new to these areas. Our charter will be 7 to 10 days.

If we sail Cuba we will sail out of Cienfuegos, if Abacos, Marsh Harbor.

I appreciate any information you may have.
sailor65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 16:22   #2

Boat: Grand Banks 49
Re: Abacos or Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor65 View Post
Hi, we're looking to do a caribbean bare boat this summer, July or August, either Abacos or Cuba. We are experienced sailors, have owned boats, sailed off shore and have done many charters but not in these waters. We're hoping for any comments, suggestions, warnings, or any helpful information, especially about Cuba. We have some info from our charter company, Dream Yacht Charters, but would appreciate hearing from sailors with first hand experience. I realize weather could be an issue (hurricanes) but would welcome information on provisioning, local attitudes, restaurants ashore, desirable anchorages and any local knowledge that me be beneficial to sailors new to these areas. Our charter will be 7 to 10 days.

If we sail Cuba we will sail out of Cienfuegos, if Abacos, Marsh Harbor.

I appreciate any information you may have.
===

As first timers I'd be inclined to recommend the Abacos. Charts and services are very robust and there are minimal chances of getting caught up in a bureaucratic SNAFU of some sort. Additionally, the Abacos have a lot to offer and it's all well documented in cruising guides, etc. Just my 2 cents worth.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 15:07   #3

Boat: Oyster 55

I have sailed to Cuba twice.
Cienfuegos is an interesting town mostly for it's architecture. The harbor is very large and well protected but rather boring. For your time allotment I could only suggest the islands around Cayo Largo and for a place to stop (weather permitting) would be Guano del este. It is rather desolate but a staging area on your way to Cayo Largo. There you will find beautiful deserted beaches and some of the most prolific reefs I have ever seen. We anchored at several islands around that area and had a great time. By the way the locals seem to eat a lot of Barracuda but that would be your decision. There is Ciguatera in Cuba. Also there is a nice accommodating marina on Cayo Largo. Be sure and stay off the Jaguar Bank on your way to Cayo Largo.
One of my concerns on chartering in Cuba would be provisioning unless you can live on Rum, sugar cane, mangos, cigars and lobster. But maybe the charter companies have special concessions, that I don't know. We sailed over from the Cayman's on both occasions where you can get anything you want therefore arrived well provisioned.
If you have adventure in your blood then Cuba is a fantastic place but maybe better under different circumstances like in your own boat with more time but hey I would not try to talk you out of it.
As far as the Abacos go they offer more of a packaged type vacation with relatively a lot of amenities. I have been there many times usually traveling through on heading south from the states and it has always been a welcoming site as long as the weather will allow you to get through the reefs on entering. That should not be a factor in the summer. Once inside it is not really my type of sailing because of the channels between the islands and shallow spots...in my opinion sort of like driving on a road but don't want to offend anyone on this forum who love the Abacos. Everyone is different and it does have beauty and charm.
FWIW the Exumas are much better than the Abacos but that's not what you asked.
I wish you well and I am sure you will have many fond memories wherever you choose.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:25   #4

Thanks Caradow
I appreciate your input. How would you compare the Abacos to the Exumas?
Sailor65
Old 03-02-2018, 13:19   #5

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor65 View Post
Thanks Caradow
I appreciate your input. How would you compare the Abacos to the Exumas?
Sailor65
===

Generally speaking, the Exuma's have more varied and interesting terrain. They are also farther south and tend to have warmer weather during the winter months. The Abacos offer better access to supplies however, and of course, are much closer to Florida.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 13:43   #6

Don't know anything about Cuba except hearsay about documentation and red tape and restrictions on movements.

Abacos really suits a 7 - 10 day charter because it starts off centrally in Marsh Harbour and in that time you can explore east north and west , stay in fabulous anchorages, or stay on moorings and sample the local restaurants and night life. Negotiating Marsh Harbour is straight forward (for catamarans, (it is shallow)) Marsh Harbour also has a decent grocery store and a couple of good liquor stores within walking distance of the Marina or dinghy dock. Best time would be March - June, maybe early July before Hurricanes. Get the book by Steve Dodge - Cruising Guide to the Abacos - explains everything you need to know. Expensive things are beer and diesel = 2 times USA
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 14:23   #7

Boat: Oyster 55

agree with wayne.b
I have found supplies in the Exumas adequate but certainly not in abundance. I kept my boat there durning winters for two seasons and had a wonderful time.
Several stores on Grand Exuma and Staniel Cay plus a few more places and enough to get by. You will not starve. I think the restaurant on Staniel Cay a bit of a rip off certainly for the old lobster they served me one night. Non-the- less a cool place to visit for other reasons. They do have a nice bar and burgers are probably fine.
You can do a lot of sailing in the Exumas especially if you get out east to places like Conception which is an absolute paradise. Yet isolated but that has its appeal to many. If you are the type that want a bar or eatery every night then the Exumas are not necessarily for you. But if you are looking to do some sailing, visit beautiful isolated beaches and anchorages that are drop dead beautiful then this is the spot. It's what the Caribbean should look like without being in the Caribbean. In fact the closest place I have found that looks a lot like the Exumas is Los Roques Venezuela and that is probably not the place you want to go right now. Also we have caught some nice Mahi when sailing east of the Exuma chain.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 15:38   #8

Thanks to you all. I appreciate and find all your comments helpful.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:44   #9

Boat: Nash 26

hi, just finished at trip from cayo largo to marina Hemingway. I thought the trip was a fantastic experience in a island that is unique in the Caribbean. I would do this trip again

some highlights;
great beaches, cayo largo cayo lavesta
great diving maria la gorda
limited internet or cell service, makes it a treat when there is
good winds, build during the day and calm down usually in the evening
fresh lobster and fish from the local fisherman
friendly, honest people and reasonably safe, unbelievable work ethic
some remote areas

challenges
need to check in/out at EACH marina with the national guard, points of entry/exit can be at different locations.
Very limited infrastructure at the marinas, most shallow draft, good dingy requiered
Supplies very limited and can be hard to source
Spanish language skills extremely helpful
LOTS of shallow water, good navigation equipment essential.
sunshineslacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco, Cuba