Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 09:13   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36 CC
Help my B&G AP is on strike

I have a 18 year old B&G AP that refuses to obey and then just turns itself off. Prior to which, it used to perform unwanted zig zigs and perform harrowing 360's at a whim. In short it breathes but just barely. Does anyone have any good advice that could keep me out of the bank and new unit?
Salva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:08   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Help my B&G AP is on strike

Look for loose connections. If no joy then suspect the compass.
Old 10-09-2018, 18:08   #3

Ya we had same thing and it still sometimes acts up and have to put on stand by and turn on again. It’s a b&g network autopilot problem was compas connection and make sure you have not thrown something metal over compas as ours is under one of the beds and sometimes gets computer thrown over it.....can not buy parts for it anymore will have to upgrade I think it was like 2k when I looked.
PLANET EXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 19:11   #4

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I build free software autopilot electronics which are cheaper but also have more features than existing autopilots.

I also have controllers for hydraulic rams as well as wheel and tiller pilots.

See pypilot - open source marine autopilot
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 19:59   #5

Boat: Freedom 38

I love my B&G AP but recently added a new display and whacked out the calibration settings (just before a long ocean passages of all things to whack out). Have you tried resetting and doing a field recalibration? Also, might want to try a new fluxgate compass and see how that works. The old ones are, well, old technology, and they can break. The new ones are actually fairly "intelligent," and when they work right, they're amazing....
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 00:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANET EXPRESS View Post
Ya we had same thing and it still sometimes acts up and have to put on stand by and turn on again. It’s a b&g network autopilot problem was compas connection and make sure you have not thrown something metal over compas as ours is under one of the beds and sometimes gets computer thrown over it.....can not buy parts for it anymore will have to upgrade I think it was like 2k when I looked.
Thanks for the advice. I also have it under the bed, but the nearest metal is a pump to my heater that is placed about 30 centimeters away on a straight line. Is that too near?
Old 11-09-2018, 00:52   #7

The central unit seems to respond and turn the tiller at correct angles. I suspect the compass unit, but can I buy a new compass and put it right in with the old system?
Old 11-09-2018, 00:53   #8

Do you have replacement compass to my old unit?
Old 11-09-2018, 00:59   #9

Yes have tried field calibration several times with same results. At that time the unit was not steering on a straight course, rather yawing from port to starbord. The whole business began after a passage from Spain to Norway, thought it may have something to do with deviation, althought this is mentioned in the hand book there is no way I know of correcting the compass. So ya a new one may help. But where to buy?
Old 11-09-2018, 03:24   #10

If it’s a b&g Network pilot then you have to replace whole autopilot system they do not make compas that will work with the old system least that’s what they told me when I called. You may be able to find used one but it may have same problem. If pump has been placed there recently the motor may be screwing with it you could try moving pump further away it may have magnets in it messing up compas?
PLANET EXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:22   #11

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salva View Post
I have a 18 year old B&G AP that refuses to obey and then just turns itself off. Prior to which, it used to perform unwanted zig zigs and perform harrowing 360's at a whim. In short it breathes but just barely. Does anyone have any good advice that could keep me out of the bank and new unit?
If you can't get your AP to work you should seriously look at the Pypilot. We are currently running Sean's newer unit to control a very large below deck hydraulic pump. We have the ability to steer by compass, wind (apparent or true), or GPS.

So far, so good and it didn't break the bank. We'll be doing more extensive testing once Florence leaves the east coast.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:17   #12

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANET EXPRESS View Post
If it’s a b&g Network pilot then you have to replace whole autopilot system they do not make compas that will work with the old system least that’s what they told me when I called. You may be able to find used one but it may have same problem. If pump has been placed there recently the motor may be screwing with it you could try moving pump further away it may have magnets in it messing up compas?

Or look for a used compass on eBay.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:47   #13

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salva View Post
Thanks for the advice. I also have it under the bed, but the nearest metal is a pump to my heater that is placed about 30 centimeters away on a straight line. Is that too near?
30 centimeters?!? I'd definitely try moving this first and see what happens. My old compass was extremely sensitive to anything. My son once placed his backpack with laptop nearby (maybe a little closer than 30 cm) and the AP took off wildly like it had a crazy mind of its own. Took us a few minutes to figure it out.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau