Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2016, 14:54   #76

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Review of a Wharram Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
99,9% of the Wharrams come nowhere near the quality of a yard-built boat (& if it is only because the builder had to cut corners on the equipment to keep costs getting out of hand. my Tangaroa, finished in 81 had cost me 50.000DM (which then was quite a bit of money for a boat built with xterior ply & fir lumber & "equipped" like I never saw a yard-built one) & ~4300 hours. don't misunderstand me: it was an adventure I' wouldn't want to miss for the life of me & the 7 year rtw even more so, particularly in view of our age (then). But I certainly wouldn't recommend a wharram to people of a more "mature" age, much less building one!
I also owned a Wharram once and loved the whole adventure, still hand a soft spot for them BUT I totally agree with the above. Wharram sells a dream.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 16:00   #77

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
99,9% of the Wharrams come nowhere near the quality of a yard-built boat (& if it is only because the builder had to cut corners on the equipment to keep costs getting out of hand. my Tangaroa, finished in 81 had cost me 50.000DM (which then was quite a bit of money for a boat built with xterior ply & fir lumber & "equipped" like I never saw a yard-built one) & ~4300 hours. don't misunderstand me: it was an adventure I' wouldn't want to miss for the life of me & the 7 year rtw even more so, particularly in view of our age (then). But I certainly wouldn't recommend a wharram to people of a more "mature" age, much less building one!
Your comment makes no sense. 99.9% of all Wharrams are yard-built. Usually in the backyard but sometimes in the front.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:39   #78

Boat: no boat any more

another imho very good indicator as to the suitability of a boat for xtended cruising: did they take it around the world more than 1 time?
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 23:48   #79

Boat: Wharram Pahi 42

You choose to build a Wharram for one of two reasons - either you love the idea of the process, you like using your hands, you want to create something beautiful, or you are in love with the idea of cruising and like Wharram's philosophy of simple, elegant boats, and building yourself allows you access to that dream. As has been said, self-building is not cheap, but it does spread the cost out over many years allowing the "ordinary" person the possibility to get a decent, sea-going yacht without taking a big loan. But yes, you will never get your money back in full, so the process and experience better be what you are paying for! I didn't take that route, I bought our Pahi 42 from the original builder when he wanted to retire from sailing. I don't have time to commit to a full-on build, but keeping her in good sailing condition fills my time anyway! ;-)
captnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:18   #80

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnandy View Post
You choose to build a Wharram for one of two reasons - either you love the idea of the process, you like using your hands, you want to create something beautiful, or you are in love with the idea of cruising and like Wharram's philosophy of simple, elegant boats, and building yourself allows you access to that dream. As has been said, self-building is not cheap, but it does spread the cost out over many years allowing the "ordinary" person the possibility to get a decent, sea-going yacht without taking a big loan. But yes, you will never get your money back in full, so the process and experience better be what you are paying for! I didn't take that route, I bought our Pahi 42 from the original builder when he wanted to retire from sailing. I don't have time to commit to a full-on build, but keeping her in good sailing condition fills my time anyway! ;-)
So very true,you nailed it mate,buy yerself a beer.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:23   #81

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Your comment makes no sense. 99.9% of all Wharrams are yard-built. Usually in the backyard but sometimes in the front.
I trust the boat I built 100%.You see I have skin in the game.I built my boat under the porch and later a tree....It may not have the finish of a big production boat,but I know no laminators on 10 bucks an hour with other things on his mind glued my beams together.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 00:48   #82

Boat: Wharram Pahi 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
I trust the boat I built 100%.You see I have skin in the game.I built my boat under the porch and later a tree....It may not have the finish of a big production boat,but I know no laminators on 10 bucks an hour with other things on his mind glued my beams together.
Yes, this is the big difference between production boat and self-built boat - you KNOW what materials went into the build. As stated, I didn't build our boat but I've replaced pretty much everything apart from the basic hulls (one beam, others on the 'to do' list). It also means you can fix everything yourself, and you carry the materials with you. Good on you for building under a tree! Here, with winter temps sometimes going to -30c it's inside or not at all
captnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:03   #83

"I know no laminators on 10 bucks an hour with other things on his mind glued my beams together"
...pride goes before a fall...
Old 06-12-2016, 07:19   #84

Quote:
"I know no laminators on 10 bucks an hour with other things on his mind glued my beams together"
...pride goes before a fall...
Nothing wrong with being proud of a boat that you built yourself. In fact, I know of few things I'd be prouder of.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:25   #85

...our self-built Tangaroa took us rtw (so no need to educate me on pride in one's own achievments, thank you!)- & still I was always on the lookout to catch any mistakes I might have made in time, conscious that she was well & truly "amateur"-built
Old 06-12-2016, 09:01   #86

Quote:
...our self-built Tangaroa took us rtw (so no need to educate me on pride in one's own achievments, thank you!)- & still I was always on the lookout to catch any mistakes I might have made in time, conscious that she was well & truly "amateur"-built
The people who have circumnavigated on a boat they built themselves is an elite club. Well done!
Old 06-12-2016, 13:27   #87

Thank u, scout 30! Of those we met nearly all had bettered our home-build: their boats had been more work & had been more difficult to build. Still, it was an experience we wouldn't want to miss for the world!
Old 06-12-2016, 14:11   #88

Quote:
Thank u, scout 30! Of those we met nearly all had bettered our home-build: their boats had been more work & had been more difficult to build. Still, it was an experience we wouldn't want to miss for the world!
Clearly one of the great things about Wharrams. You don't have to be a master boat builder like Larry Pardey to build a seaworthy cruiser but you still need a lot of determination & commitment. And then to actually sail it around the world is huge & not just a testament to you but also James Wharram who put this kind of accomplishment within reach of people who might never have been able to do it otherwise.
Old 06-12-2016, 23:16   #89

"within reach of people who might never have been able to do it otherwise."
exactly Scout 30! my selfconfidence at 21 would definitely not have been big enough to tackle the building of a "real" "yacht".

(inescapable irony years later though:
"...& why did you decide to build her yourself & not buy a secondhand boat?"
"I wasn't enough boat-savvy to be able to distinguish a good from a "rotten" used one"
"ahh, but you felt yourself enough boat-savvy to build one from scratch..."--I had to laugh ebcause it was true!)
(& thank you very much for your kind words!!!)
Old 07-12-2016, 06:44   #90

Quote:
"within reach of people who might never have been able to do it otherwise."
exactly Scout 30! my selfconfidence at 21 would definitely not have been big enough to tackle the building of a "real" "yacht".

(inescapable irony years later though:
"...& why did you decide to build her yourself & not buy a secondhand boat?"
"I wasn't enough boat-savvy to be able to distinguish a good from a "rotten" used one"
"ahh, but you felt yourself enough boat-savvy to build one from scratch..."--I had to laugh ebcause it was true!)
(& thank you very much for your kind words!!!)

Tags
catamaran, wharram