Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2017, 17:18   #1

Any old REAL canvas sails out there in trunks??

Hello All, i would love to find several REAL canvas sails out there to buy....inexpensively that are NOT shredded or totally blackmolded to reuse as part of a living history program . Once the guffaws and snorts have died down....think about older sailors and loft folks. I am 60 now, got started at 3 in a wherry with real camvas sails and have found some like minded mates and ladies who love sharing the finer parts of our youth with new recruits.....we dont need Huge stuff, actually i would love to find at least one sample of a headsail with the old European 6 inch high type panel( i had a Danish 6 meter,1925 vintage LONG time ago) , that had all cotton sails .....the type that folks would kill for in shirts....waaay smooth and tight woven! I know that there must be a few folks out there who couldn't bear to dumpster Pitch nicely hand finished cotton sails when the consignment lofts said no thanks we only want to deal with poly sails... hope you can help! Thanks!
KaLu Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 12:21   #2

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter
Re: Any old REAL canvas sails out there in trunks??

I think you can still buy tanbark dacron sailcloth or cotton sailcloth, which might suit your needs.
Traditional Sails
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 17:33   #3

Thanks for the thought but I am trying to avoid Dacron and poly sails and actually find the real cotton fabric sails....old style stuff! I am familiar with the Oceanus and other material sails that have the basic appearance of cotton! Thanks again!
Old 30-04-2017, 08:44   #4

Boat: Creekmore 34

If I had seen this post about 3 years ago I would have liked to show You an old storm jib I had of natural canvas. Beautiful handwork on that sail. A show piece really. I tried to sell it.
But....
The sail was very heavy and bulky. Was a pain to deal with it aboard a small 34' boat. The natural fibers absorb moisture, so it smelled bad and mildew/mold made it unhealthy.
No wonder why Polyester Dacron took over.
I often wonder about a more environmentally friend sailcloth, but I can find any sensible alternatives.
riggear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 14:23   #5

Gosh just 3 years too late! HaHa.....I still am holding out hope for some oldtimer or sail loft that may have some stuff shoved away!!! Thanks for replying!

Tags
canvas, sail, sails