Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2019, 10:13   #1

Boat: 1981 Watkin's 27'
New to Sailboats

It looks like I will be taking title to my uncles 1981 Watkins 27' with the Shaol keel.

From what I've read it could be a dog in light air or going into the wind. But I think it will be a good first boat for me.

I plan on taking some sailing lessons and classes as I haven't been sailing since I was a young teenager.

The main reason I am looking to get into this boat is to dock it in Buffalo, NY near some of all the new attractions and rent it on Airbnb as a fun little side thing. (and a good excuse to get into sailing).

I'd love to hear peoples thoughts on the Watkin's 27 with the 8hp diesel inboard. and the prospect of the airbnb rental for boat camping, definitely an outdoor experience, a step below glamping.

I plan to sail the boat from Henderson Harbor, across ontario and into the welland canal. Further planning may make us have to drop mass and motor through the erie canal if welland is as backed up as I believe it to be currently. And don't worry I will have some experience people sailing and relearning me on the way!

In a separate note a business contact of mine just offered to sign over an earl 70s 27' Catalina to me for use in the Airbnb idea, alternatively I told him my brother was looking to get into a ship to sail. He said the interior will need refinished but other than that it is sail ready. My brother is going to take a surveyor and check it out.

We plan on sailing together some and doing some Great Lakes cruises. and then maybe sometime taking (years from now, I'm almost 28 he is 22 and we have some hard working years a head of us) one of them down the intercostal to the keys or bahamas for an experience.

I believe it was somewhere on this forum I read a post about the ritual needed to rename a boat, I am all ears on people's suggestions there. The GL can become very unforgiving as an In land Sea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Watkins 27.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	193369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Watkins 27_2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	193370  

EZMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:30   #2

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: New to Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMac View Post
I'd love to hear peoples thoughts on the Watkin's 27 with the 8hp diesel inboard. and the prospect of the airbnb rental for boat camping, definitely an outdoor experience, a step below glamping.
On a 27', if it's nice below you can totally call it glamping

The Watkins is a good boat. Been on a few, but say that more by reputation. Solid boat and the shoal draft will make it a great candidate for a cruise down to the Bahamas at some point. It's not going to be as fun to sail as a sailing dinghy, but should still be fun to sail nonetheless, and a great boat for it's purpose.

Can't comment on the logistics of making an airbnb out of it, though I suspect it would be much easier proposition being rented as a docked boat at the marina rather than chartered out by airbnbers.

On the renaming, yeah, do it right. There are a bunch of "official" ceremonies you can find online. All involve invoking at least one or two sea gods and a bottle of champagne. Drinks before and after, while optional, are usually highly recommended.

Have fun!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:53   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mac.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ny-120994.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-name-946.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ons-88033.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...at-148954.html

And more ➥ https://cse.google.com/cse?siteurl=w...ceremony&sa=Go

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
On a 27', if it's nice below you can totally call it glamping

The Watkins is a good boat. Been on a few, but say that more by reputation. Solid boat and the shoal draft will make it a great candidate for a cruise down to the Bahamas at some point. It's not going to be as fun to sail as a sailing dinghy, but should still be fun to sail nonetheless, and a great boat for it's purpose.

On the renaming, yeah, do it right. There are a bunch of "official" ceremonies you can find online. All involve invoking at least one or two sea gods and a bottle of champagne. Drinks before and after, while optional, are usually highly recommended.

Have fun!
the over 6' head room is nice for the idea of glmaping. I believe the inside is in an ok state but I will probably refinish the wood, and all the cushions myself.

I'm excited to have a hand on project, and then the opportunity to sail.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:12   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMac View Post
the over 6' head room is nice ...
"If you want to stand up, go on deck". ~ Uffa Fox

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:18   #6

Talking Re: New to Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
"If you want to stand up, go on deck". ~ Uffa Fox
I plan on being on deck, the guests in my planned airbnb who knows what they will do hahaha
Old 06-06-2019, 13:59   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Insurance will probably be your biggest problem. Bareboat insurance isn't cheap if you let them take the boat out. Don't know how insurance works if it's just going to be a campsite at the dock.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Insurance will probably be your biggest problem. Bareboat insurance isn't cheap if you let them take the boat out. Don't know how insurance works if it's just going to be a campsite at the dock.
Yea,

that is seemingly the only issue I'm running into. The guest wouldn't be able to take the boat off its more or less a floating camp site for them. Airbnb has host/ owner insurance but it doesn't cover the second their stay time ends or before it starts so If someone shows up early or leaves late and get hurt Its on me.

Also normal boat coverage is voided when you have a guest paying a fee. But all the commercial maritime insurers I've spoke to wont under write it. I have a call into Legacy Underwriters, i was recommended to them by LIG.

Tags
boat, great lakes, sail, sailboat, watkins, watkins 27'