Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 13:34   #1

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Lightbulb Long Term Cruising Partnership - Not Just Crew

At this point this is merely an idea. It all depends on if we find the "right" people. We started cruising in 1998 and were a family of 5, Grandma, Mom, Dad, Daughter and our dog. Our daughter has flown the coop, Granny and the dog have passed away. We still want to do many more miles, but it seems such a waste with just the two of us. We calculate that the cost of cruising with 4 is slightly more expensive than with 2. The concept is shared costs, for shared boat. Ideally two people in a stable relationship is what we would like to find. We will not just take the first people we stumble upon. As this is a longer term arrangement, starting at a two year horizon, it is imperative that we get along extremely well. This will be subject to scrutiny.
For an idea of who we are and what Gilana is like, please look at our web page (slightly out of date) by googling "GILANA" the first response should be ours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wp02.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	35786  
Old 09-01-2012, 14:09   #2

Re: Long term crusing partnership, not just crew.

Hello Gilana, just for further clarification; are you suggesting a boat partnership where another couple would use Gilana with or without you being present or exclusively with you aboard.
Old 09-01-2012, 14:17   #3

Hi, We are liveaboards. We have no home besides Gilana, so its definitely a shared gig. She is everything to us.
Regards.
Old 09-01-2012, 15:14   #4

Boat: In between boat ownership

sy_gilana

We are very interested in partnering for an extended sail. Coincidentally, we just passed on the purchase of a Trintella 53 in Curacao that we were very serious about...a story for another time. I'm a retired architect, chemical company owner with my wife, fine artist and sometime sailor with Columbia 37 and Catalina 27 ownership experience. My wife has sailed with me and has limited experience but very willing and bright! We have been looking for a well kept Morgan or Catalina Morgan 45 to live aboard and have seen a bunch of them. That's how we very nearly closed on the Curacao T53. I have very little water sailing">blue water sailing experience, mostly sailed on the Chesapeke Bay and some West Coast sailing. I'm 6'2" and a healthy 64 this month and my wife Sarah is 5' and 51. We have four grown kids. We each grew up in military families and I lived mostly in South and Central America before attending U. of Notre Dame then traveled extensively world-wide with my design and construction company where I met Sarah before moving to Phoenix in 1991 and buying GEMTEK, a biobased chemical manufacturing company. Sarah and I love traveling, writing, reading, fine art, exploring, fine foods and wine and I speak Spanish and some Italian as well as English. We are available for a couple of months or six months or more depends as you say on the relationship between us. Please give me some idea of the operating costs that we might share. My cell is 602-315-8368, Best to you and yours:-)

Kim Kristoff
Old 09-01-2012, 15:24   #5

After looking at your web site, it is indeed a fine looking home.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:15   #6

Hi Kim. Thank you for your detailed reply. I wonder if that T53 was "Midnight Stroller" ? I know most of the T53's out there 3 of them are friends. Interesting that Gilana, a Van De Stadt 50' was the design that Trintella stretched by 3' to make their 53. I don't know how wise it was to publish your cell phone number, you might want to edit that post. It would be good to communicate directly, ie out of this forum, perhaps by email and VOIP. Please be so kind as to email me directly sy_gilana at hotmail dot com. Looking forward to speaking with you.
Mike.
Old 27-01-2012, 10:10   #7

Boat: 1977 Cal 34
Re: Long Term Cruising Partnership - Not Just Crew

Hello there, my name is Logan and i am 24. My girlfriends name is Melissa and she is 24 as well.

We are currently backpacking through Brazil along the coast and are looking for a boat that needs a crew. We are a very friendly, fun couple from Canada. Melissa is from Vancouver, and I was born on the east coast on a small island called Prince Edward island.

We are traveling for 4-6 months depending weather or not we can hitch a ride on the water. we are both financially well off for a year, much longer at sea. I am an oilfield driller and have been for 5 years. I am very handy with power tools, diesel engines, hydraulic systems and duct tape and not shy of hard work. Melissa is a dental receptionist who has traveled much of the world. I have owned a boat as well for a few years in Vancouver but it was not a sailboat and it unfortunately burnt down. But it still allowed me to get the love of the ocean.

We hope to hear from you and are willing to commit 100percent to a crew and are willing to fly or bus to where ever necessary. Hopefully catch a ride somewhere in South or Central America to anywhere.

Hope to hear from you.
Logan and Melissa
Old 28-01-2012, 05:16   #8

Hello Logan and Melissa.

Thank you for your detailed and comprehensive reply. While we have no doubts about your love of the ocean, your abilities, honesty and general good-guy status, we do not feel that we would have enough in common with you. Us old crocs will just end up getting envious of your youth and agility. I would enjoy the competition to improve my kite and windsurfing skills, if I was a few years younger.

Good luck in your endeavors.

M&L
Old 14-04-2012, 08:44   #9

Amazing, we thought we would have lots more interest, I guess everyone here already has a problem, um boat...
Old 14-04-2012, 09:39   #10
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Try crew finder websites, Mostly boat owners here. And honestly us owners know how badly those types of things turn out. You should look to your friends, someone you've had a chance to interview for 30 years and put up with all there bullship.,Your always going to view your boat as your boat, it would be hard for anyone to do things your way for any extended time. Seems these situations seldomly work out. Won't you be happier with your privacy?
Old 14-04-2012, 09:56   #11

Hi Rabid, maybe youre right, this is the wrong place, but we were thinking there would be a good group of wannabe cruisers. Hell we were once. Imagine if you were offered six months liveaboard in all its glory underway repairing, enjoying, the whole shebang. Surely at the end of that you would be able to make an informed decision. Sure we like our privacy, but we also like company. Everything is a compromise, its the end result that counts. Thanks for your input on the issue. I think the biggest cause of problems is the perception of exploitation by either party. Its got to be fair. Would be nice to hear some new jokes, taste some new recipes, hear another point of view experience a new spin on old things. Like I said, it is just an idea w were kicking around.
Regards...Mike...
Old 14-04-2012, 10:16   #12
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Like RabidRabbit said. Except that I have seen some VERY good short term relationships work like this. Rather than looking for grouchy old crew,who will hate to be in someone else's space, I would suggest opening your mind to younger couples.

Yes, they might make your creaky bones jealous as they are paddling around with gusto, but on the bright side, they are paddling with gusto, and will quite happily lug a few litres of water or diesel or bananas as they do so. They wil also be much more eager to learn and gain experience than will a ratty old seadog.

Just a thought...
Old 14-04-2012, 10:37   #13

Hey Who you calling "Creaky bone" ? I might just get up and...ouch, wait let me sit down again...

You might be right, but this life keeps you fit. As long as we get along, any age is cool, but the chances improve if you can both relate to Apollo 11, Jackie Mason, Bill Cosby, Bob Newhart, if you know what I mean.

Ah well a busy summer ahead, we will be patient and see what pans out. Thanks for the comment though, glad someone read this...
Old 14-04-2012, 10:50   #14

I think many people know how "close" a boat can be with someone you dont know. Let's face it..... sometimes the new girlfriend/boyfriend doesnt seem so good to live with a year down the road. Takes a long time to figure out compatibility.... OTOH.... if you would take verified cruisers (who "seem" compatible) onboard for a reasonable fee for a month or so.....kinda like chartering.... you might run into the right people.... and not be locked into the wrong ones! Just a thought...

Old 14-04-2012, 10:55   #15

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Good idea. We had good friends live with us for over a year, in a communal household and it worked quite well and broadened my partner's and my life in many of the ways your looking for. Of course, it was a roomy house and not a boat, so experience with sailing would be a big plus at the start. Good luck with your quest. Let us know how things go when you're of a mind. Jon

Tags
crew, partnership