Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2017, 14:52   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis
Panama to Marquesas how much diesel? March.

I'm wondering how much time other cruisers plan for when motoring on a passage from Panama to the Marquesas south but not stopping in the Galápagos - March this year.

I have 260Ltr of Diesel which would allow me 120 Hours or 5 days~optimistically, around 800Nm of continuous motoring.

I was wondering if there are are people out there that can say how much Diesel they actually used?

Does 120 Hours sounds a bit meager for the ITC, and therefore a more reliable wind wise approach from Ecuador to Easter Island might be wiser.

We carried a ton of Diesel across the Atlantic that we never used..

Thanks
sailabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 14:54   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Panama to Marquesas how much diesel? March.

No need to motor at all anywhere.
Certainly no need between Galapagos and Marquesas.

Panamá to Galápagos can be slow.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 15:09   #3

The lack of wind around Panama is well known but with a good sailing boat and lots of patience you can sail it. Usually the winds start to fill in 3-400 miles from Panama so if your in a hurry you could motor if needed in that area. As MarkJ mentioned from the Galapagos to the Marquesas is usually steady trade winds and good sailing.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 16:12   #4

You are right about the fact that we cruisers often carry more fuel than is necessary.

Crossing from Panama City to Galapagos we used about 80 litres (including stops in Las Perlas Islands) during late February to early March. From Galapagos to Iles Gambier in March/April we consumed less than 20 litres - entirely for getting clear of the islands, and then at the end of the 3,000-mile passage, to motor to anchor inside the motus at Gambier. The part of the Pacific Puddlejump fleet that went from Galapagos to the Marquesas had less wind than we did (and a less-favorable sailing angle) - we rarely saw less than 20 knots once we were below 7 degrees south.

Cheers, Katherine
Painted Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 16:57   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Panama to Marquesas how much diesel? March.

I'm one that believes the only time you can have too much fuel is if your on fire. I'd take as much as I could without getting ridiculous about it.
Another belief I have is if I have it, I won't need it, I seem to mainly have need of things that I do not have.

I have not made that trip, it's a general comment, but if you have the storage capacity already, why not carry it?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 17:37   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

As Mark said, you will use up most of your motoring range by the time you get to the Galapagos. If you don't want to stop, carry another 100 liters or so in Jerry jugs.

We left Galapagos for Easter Island in 20 knots, and never motored. The next time we left for the Marquesas and the wind filled in by nightfall. We stayed north of 8 South and had a more comfortable trip, with a following current.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 17:49   #7

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailabroad View Post
I'm wondering .......
I have 260Ltr of Diesel which would allow me 120 Hours or 5 days~optimistically, around 800Nm of continuous motoring. .........

Thanks
Hmmmm.... optimistically.........

I always work on worst case... not best case.....

In my situation I burn between 2 and 2.5 litres per hour so always allow 2.5.

Speed... I can poke along quite comforably in flat water at 5+ knots... I use 100 mile days in my calcs.....
Old 21-01-2017, 18:32   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis

Thanks all, it's great to hear others experiences to get a rough idea how much diesel I would be comfortable with.
sailabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 19:38   #9

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailabroad View Post
Thanks all, it's great to hear others experiences to get a rough idea how much diesel I would be comfortable with.

Diesel is cheap in Panama compared to French Polynesia and once your in the pacific you will need jugs on board to fetch fuel in many places. So why not leave with them full on deck. That way you can refill your tanks after motoring through the no wind area around the equator and may not need to purchase any in FP.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 20:02   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

You have more than enough in your tankage. The toughest parts are getting out of Panama and getting out of the Galapagos ( which you are skipping,). If you leave earlier enough in the year you can catch a North wind out of the Perlas and get maybe 2 days of decent sailing.

We motored for maybe 10 hrs near the arrival to the Galapagos. Motored about 10-12hrs getting out of the Galapagos. And 6-8 hrs arriving in Fatu Hiva so we could get in before dark. As mentioned above, fuel will be cheaper in Panama than the Marquesas. We waited till Papaette to fill where you can get a no cost duty-free fuel certificate from customs.
Old 22-01-2017, 11:22   #11

Boat: Boatless

Just wrote a blog post on this entitled "motoring", timely to your question.

I don't have the exact number as to how much we used, carried 200 gallons and filled up in Atuona.

I'm of the "bring all you can" crowd ;-)

www.sailingohana.com
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 11:58   #12

Boat: Boatless

We carry 5 days of motoring. We burned 3 days Panama to the Galapagos, about 1,000nm and 3 days Galapagos to Marquesas, about 3,000nm. A total of 34 days at sea.

Another boat that sailed all the way spent 54 days at sea.

Buying diesel in the out Islands of Galapagos took 10 days just to get permission from the Capital.

Best reason to carry lots of fuel is that when our friends lost their mast 500 nm from Galapagos and they had enough fuel to motor there with 10 gallons to spare.

Carry all the fuel you can.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 12:10   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Panama to Marquesas how much diesel? March.

I went across in June and motored all the way to the Galapagos passing just within spitting distance down the W side of the main island before there was wind enough to sail (54ft steel ketch).. after that we picked up wind that took us down to 5* S.. then along W'wards to Nuku Hiva.. steady 20-25kts breeze all the way from the ESE..
Carry enough extra fuel to half fill your tanks if you need to run the engine for batteries/W'maker etc.. your next stop for the cheapest fuel in the Pacific is American Samoa..
Nuku Hiva the fuel jetty is a concrete dock with heavy swell that will play havoc with your hull.. recommend filling fuel jugs using the dinghy instead.. leave the boat on the hook.
Water at Nuku Hiva is terrible and not potable..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 13:20   #14
Marine Service Provider

Fuel is expensive in French Polynesia, 8 to 10 dollars a gallon. Take all you've got room for.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 14:07   #15

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Ideally, fill 'er up, but use none. But do fill to capacity or near capacity.

Tags
arc, diesel, marquesas, Panama