Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2016, 15:17   #1

Living Aboard in Vancouver

My family and I want to move to Vancouver and live on our boat. Any help with what marina's allow this, and how we go about this whole new idea would be amazing.
LesleySylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 06:52   #2

Re: Living Aboard in Vancouver

Hi, we too are moving down to Vancouver and will be looking for a boat to live aboard until we are ready to set sail south. There are quite a few marinas on Vancouver Island that allow liveaboards, and also I've been in contact with shelter island in Richmond who allow live aboard, they are very reasonable to. I can't offer much information as we don't leave until the beginning of August but I will keep you informed once we are down there. Good luck

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Chriscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 14:41   #3

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35

Can't speak for Vancouver except real estate is through the roof there right now with almost zero vacancy rate for rentals and a teardown house on a tiny city lot starts in 7 figures. I would expect liveaboard marinas to be in very high demand.
Here on Vancouver Island things are a little more civilized and unless you absolutely need to be in Vancouver, may I suggest Victoria has a lot to offer. James Bay is a lovely community where I live and Fisherman's Wharf is a couple minutes walk from downtown and reasonable liveaboard moorage. Not sure how big the waiting list is. Cowichan Bay about 45min north of Victoria is where my boat lives and has reasonable moorage.
wedivebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 15:50   #4

I second this. Wondering just how possible it is to liveaboard / sneakaboard in Vancouver. First, if I got moorage at a marina and I anchored out somewhere for, say, 4 days a week and then stayed aboard at the marina berth the rest of the time does anyone think it would be an issue? i.e., if your boat is absent at the marina for a few days regularly you think people accuse you of being a liveaboard?
What about tenders / dingy's? If I anchored in the Creek where do people tie up their tenders? Just where-ever?
Lastly, what's the deal with anchoring out in English Bay just out of False Creek? If the winds are low it seems like a nice place to stay a few nights here and there?
r4gt4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 14:46   #5

"My family and I want to move to Vancouver and live on our boat." Hmmmm this must be a question googled quite a lot these days

I would consider doing what some SF Bay Area sailors are doing who cannot find live-aboard slips for the same reasons mentioned. Some get a slip and buy a small RV to stay in on the off days or a second boat. Although, some marinas just don't care about the liveaboard rule (particularly where it is not the top choice to live - see boatyard marinas or ones in less desirable areas).
It shows this is your first post so we don't know if you are new to sailing or not. If you are looking to liveaboard for the first time or to look for affordable housing options please, please, please learn how to with regard to the environment and your neighbor.
Good luck out there!
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:40   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, r4gt4g.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 21:25   #7

Definitely expensive here on the left coast. We live on Bowen Island a 20 minute ferry ride from Vancouver. The marinas here may have live aboard space and a lot cheaper and much nicer than the city. Great beaches and slower nicer pace. And closer to the islands.
TimLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 10:46   #8

Boat: Hans Christian - Christina 43

There are two marinas set up for (legal) live a board in Vancover. Both are located on the south side of False Creek, which is a great location.

Heather Civic is run by the city and has legal live a board slips. I have friends there and they love it.

Spruce Harbour is a Co-Op and a great marina too. There are family's with children at both marinas. I have lived a Spruce for over ten years. It is a wonderful place to live.

I am currently selling my boat and will be posting an ad next week. I have just finished my web page and it has some information about Spruce Harbour.

Home | Christina 43

Fair winds, Paul
Christina-Eos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard