Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2017, 06:34   #1

Boat: Leopard 38
Advice on portugal marinas

Hello.
I would like to haul my catamaran leopard 38 out, repair and store it a few months in a portugues marina. Does anyone have recommendations for me?
Thank you in advance.
Alex
ak5609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 06:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice on portugal marinas

Portimao... there are two hardstand operations.. both are good and have chandlers etc close to hand.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 11:40   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Advice on portugal marinas

Check out facilities in the Lagos / Faro area. They are believed to be OK.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 18:46   #4

Location: house is in melbourne australia and Muscade currently in Med.
Boat: fontaine pajot Marquises 56

Iatestore in Amora, lisbon. Felisberto is one of the owners, extremely efficient and helpful. I believe their teavelift iscbig enough for your cat. Very well priced and easy to get to lisbon airport.
karabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 04:31   #5

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

We hauled out in Alges boatyard in Lisbon. Very good work and knowledgeable staff. They allow you stay on board while work is being done. The location is a short walk from the Alges train station, and a short ride into Lisbon proper.

We had some topsides paint repair and a bottom job. Both were very well done. I cannot see the areas where they blended in the paint for the repair. I found the prices inexpensive compared to other places we have had work done.

If you need rigging work done, I would highly recommend Jorge Rainha. He is freelance and has a working relationship with all of the boatyards in the Lisbon area, including Alges.

One item, this is a boatyard, not a marina. There are no slips to stay in. We stayed in Oerias marina a few miles away while waiting to haul out. I recommend them, also.

All the best!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 13:57   #6

Hi Steve and thanks Steve. I will defenately contact them.
As of right now Tagus Yacht Center in Seixal was recommended as well. Their prices are €400 haul out and in and €250 storage per month for a 38 Leopard.
Do you have any prices for me?
I have to redo my hardtop and will probably build one in Germany and carry it over to Portugal later this year.
Additionally I would like to install newsolars but p wm's f I can still find them.i have 1000W NW of these suckers and they work great after 13 years.
Please keep in touch with me.
Are you in Portugal from time to time? I will bring my triumph to Lissabon as well.
Old 28-03-2017, 09:30   #7

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak5609 View Post
Hi Steve and thanks Steve. I will defenately contact them.
As of right now Tagus Yacht Center in Seixal was recommended as well. Their prices are €400 haul out and in and €250 storage per month for a 38 Leopard.
Do you have any prices for me?
I have to redo my hardtop and will probably build one in Germany and carry it over to Portugal later this year.
Additionally I would like to install newsolars but p wm's f I can still find them.i have 1000W NW of these suckers and they work great after 13 years.
Please keep in touch with me.
Are you in Portugal from time to time? I will bring my triumph to Lissabon as well.
When we were deciding where to have our boat work done we visited the folks at Tagus yacht center. I forget his name but he was very nice and seemed knowledgable.

The problem is that the Tagus boatyard is in the middle of nowhere. It is ferry ride and a long way to chandleries (there are several in Lisbon). The Alges boatyard was extremely convenient. After all was said and done, I thought the Alges boatyard prices were very competitive with Tagus. I don't have any prices handy, unfortunately. The manager of the yard is Luis, he speaks very good English and is very knowledgable.

At Alges, feel free to use our name, Steve and Laura on Orontes II. We were in their yard most of 2016 having our mast replaced. Maybe they'll give you a deal, who knows?

I do my own electrical work so I'm afraid I can't help with recommendations for the solar panel installation.

A Triumph??? Bike or auto? I have a TR6 currently for sale in the US!

We are in Italy for the next year or two. We really enjoyed Portugal. The people were very friendly and the country is very interesting. It is also extremely affordable!

All the best!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:42   #8

Could you give me a link please?
Old 10-04-2017, 05:44   #9

At Alges they try to charge €900 !!!! That is ridiculous. Double then anybody else.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by karabil View Post
Iatestore in Amora, lisbon. Felisberto is one of the owners, extremely efficient and helpful. I believe their teavelift iscbig enough for your cat. Very well priced and easy to get to lisbon airport.

Can you provide a link please?
Old 14-04-2017, 03:52   #11

Quote:
Can you provide a link please?
Not sure that targus can lift your cat on travel lift, but fairly sure iatestore can. Iatestore is about 1 klm north of targus, on the same peninsula.
Google iatestore.
Felisberto is one of the owners and does the day to day running. He is a very busy man, with good english, and was extraordinarily helpfull with our 56 ft cat. Very well priced storage over winter.
Old 14-04-2017, 05:39   #12

Thank you for the advice.
Latestore is listed in google maps, but not with a website or email adress. You don't have a receipt of your stay or maybe a mobile phone number to contact Felisberto by whatsapp?

Greetings from St.Kitts and happy easter days.
Alex
Old 15-04-2017, 04:01   #13

Beautiful St Kitts.
Will find the email for you in next few days, will have to dig through papers.
Old 16-04-2017, 09:05   #14

Boat: Moody 36 (1981)

Quote:
Hello.
I would like to haul my catamaran leopard 38 out, repair and store it a few months in a portugues marina. Does anyone have recommendations for me?
Thank you in advance.
Alex
Depends on the time of years and the facilities you need. For storage at a reasonable price and a friendly family run site Porvoa de Varzim is worth a look. It very cheap, friendly and the staff bend over backwards to make you welcome. Security is pretty good with fingerprint pad access to jetties. But facilities are limited and you cannot overwinter afloat here. You would have to check they can handle your boat. If you need a bigger facility with a big boatyard them you will probably need to go up the coast to A' Coruna in Spain or down to Lisbon but this will cost you more fro the privilege. Beware that the west coast (Atlantic) suffers storm surges in winter making many harbours untenable (Hence Porvoa de Vazim hauls all boats out overwinter. This life and relaunch is included in the fee). Check this is still current as it is three years since we were there. The south coast of portugal (Algave) is a holiday area and expensive in comparision. If you do not need to lift but need a safe haven we can recommend Rio Viverio on the N coast of Spain. A small cheap family run marina in a canal at the end of a large inlet (Rio) not far fro A Coruna.
Hope this helps and fair winds,
Kevin & Sandy
SY Tiger Bay
Old 29-03-2018, 13:59   #15

Hi Steve, are you still in Italy?

Alex

Tags
marinas, Portugal