Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2015, 11:04   #1

Boat: Crowther Bucaneer 33, Trevor Banks 44 trimaran
Performance Cruising Trimaran - Trevor Banks 44

With a heavy heart I must offer our beloved trimaran "Hot Sauce" for sale. We bought her in Vancouver, three years ago with dreams of the south pacific. Since then we have done an extensive re-fit and sailed her as far south as Bahia de Carquez, Ecuador. She is currently on the hard in Marina Chiapas near Tapachula Mexico at the southern most point in Mexico. After sailing her down the Pacific coast to San Francisco, hauling her out in Napa Valley Marina for paint and many upgrades, we sailed to Mexico for the next winter and down to Ecuador for the next year. We found out we had our first grandchild on the way and that we would not see much of him growing up if we were off in the south pacific. We built a house in the mountains of southern Ecuador and were planning to do the snow bird thing and cruise the winter months and live in the mountains for the others. With the coming of or grandson a couple of weeks ago, we realized we don't have time for three different lifestyles and the expense of wandering back and forth between them. We offer her for sale in hopes that someone shares our dream and wants to fulfill Hot Sauces destiny of fast comfortable cruising.

Hot Sauce was build in 1980 by Trevor Banks for the Vic Maui race, sailed and raced for a few years and sold to a second owner who kept her in Vancouver and cruised the northwest in the summers(August) until we bought her.
She is laid out with cockpit over the aft aka, engine aft of cockpit accessible though deck hatch or access from after berth. Pull out double birth in salon, with single on starboard side. Double birth under the cockpit behind the entry stair.
Galley forward, walk through to head and forward v birth.
The accommodations are cozy, but well laid out, similar to the space on a modern 32-34 mono.

Original equipment we still use include:
Yanmar 3jh2 39 hp diesel with sail drive. we had the injector pump rebuilt in mexico and a new head gasket to de-carbon the top end less than 100 hours ago.
Lewmar Anchor windlass.
CQR 45
A couple of older spinnakers, one asymmetrical.
Normal expected safety and sailing equipment.

Upgrades include;
Electric halyard winch, new self tailing primary winches.
New raymarine instruments including radar, chart plotter GPS, wind speed and direction, knot log, depth sounder, all integrated with Sea Talk.
New Pineapple Sails main and genoa made of Hydra net still look near perfect after two years.
Lazy Jacks, reef lines led to cockpit.
Spectra 150 watermaker.
2 120 watt solar panels on articulating mounts off the stern for clear light most of the day.
Mppt charge regulator.
2kw inverter.
Isotherm refrigerator.
Composting toilet.
Full width dodger with removable front and cast lexan windows.
Manson Supreme 45.
Composting toilet.
New cushions in saloon.
Force 10 3 burner propane range with oven/broiler.
New dagger board Vacuum bagged CNC cut NACA 022 foil.

Pros:
Well equipped for circumnavigation, most equipment less than 2 years old.
Located in excellent jumping off point for the south pacific, south america, or the panama canal.
Safe inexpensive marina to have work done prior to launching.
USCG Documented vessel, Changing ownership to an American is a simple bill of sale transaction.

Cons:
Paint is faded and some is peeling along the water line.
Hot Sauce has been in Marina Chiapas since June 2014, and will probably need some spiffing up from sitting in the yard.

We had intended have the topsides painted prior to launching. but now realize international orange may not be everyone's favorite color. She is a fast sea kindly boat. We regularly made easy passages reaching at wind speed to about 12 knots with a max speed around 21 knots. Usually we slowed down to about 10 or 12 at night to quiet the boat down enough for the off watch to sleep.

Asking $65000 as is where is. I would not hesitate to sail this boat anywhere, and may consider delivery for the right offer. Pm me for more info or pictures.
AntiqueTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 13:39   #2

Re: Performance Cruising Trimaran - Trevor Banks 44

Greetings & congratulations!! This must be the happiest of new years for you both!! I'm sure on this front it is with regrets for HOT SAUCE. Anyway..I am excited to have run across your ad here!! Please forward any and all photos of her that you can.

Best regards

Michael Burke

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jonnyquestiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 04:52   #3

She is beutiful... PM sent
Wavehungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 18:15   #4

Boat: L~3 - Day-Sail Cat - 60'

Hi again,,

Overlook'd providing you with my email address in the previous email,,

h.lee_3rd@yahoo.com

Am look'n forward to your photo's,, then we'll see about get'n down there,,

Lee
h.lee_3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 03:06   #5

Re: Performance Cruising Trimaran - Trevor Banks 44 Price Drop

Now offered for $4800 obo. I thought I had a partner to help with the expenses, but it didn't work out as agreed. It went well until actual cash flow was required. I can no longer sustain the $250 or so monthly yard bill. The marina manager would very much like someone to sail Hot Sauce away without their involvement and will facilitate in any way possible.

There are a couple of soft spots in the plywood decks. and probably some mildew inside. The headliner in the forward v-berth needs to be replaced. this is simple painted plywood veneer with trim boards. Good repair workers are readily available at very reasonable rates.

We installed vinyl covers to shelter the boat from the elements when this was discovered. The main structure is wood, plywood cabin sides and decks are very easy to repair.

The marina manager has estimated the cost of an LPU paint job at about 2000-2200 dollars. An excellent opportunity to choose a different color if international orange is not for you.

Hot Sauce is USCG documented, so no Mexican involvement in transfer of title if sold to US citizen. Thanks for looking.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/attachm...6/img_0078.jpg
Old 26-10-2016, 04:56   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

4,800 or 48,000 ?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 05:42   #7

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
4,800 or 48,000 ?
I caught that too; made me wonder just how much mildew was discovered??
Old 26-10-2016, 15:37   #8

Hey, if it's $4,800, I'll take it.
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 03:43   #9

Damn! I don't know why I don't have an edit button on these posts, but you are right, not $4800. That wouldn't cover slip fees and airfare to sell it.
So of course $48,000 is the price.
It appears that I can only edit posts which have not been replied to. annoying...
Old 27-10-2016, 11:52   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiqueTri View Post
Damn! I don't know why I don't have an edit button on these posts, but you are right, not $4800. That wouldn't cover slip fees and airfare to sell it.
So of course $48,000 is the price.
It appears that I can only edit posts which have not been replied to. annoying...
The forum software times out after about 15-30 minutes and will not allow a user to edit post after that. You can write to the Moderators, and I am sure they will fix the error for you. Just ask a mod.

Also, I love the color of the boat and from the few photos I see it looks like an exciting boat to sail. I would love to go for a sail on her.

I suggest posting some more photos of the interior, showing features, and measure headroom etc. show the cockpit. From the helm. Show the head and galley. Show the deck. Stern, motor or engine. Include a photo of her sailing, especially!. She looks hot, show some sizzle!

Hope that helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:43   #11

hi
is this boat still for sale?
soerencarlsen1@yahoo.com
soerencarlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:40   #12

Yes it is still for sale. I will consider any and all offers, but not ones that will cost me money. She has 6+ foot headroom throughout the main saloon.

Close hauled at 10 knots in 9 knots of breeze on San Francisco Bay.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:18   #13

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Great looking boat.
Do you have any pictures of the cockpit? After berth, vee berth?

What is the beam? Weight/displacement?
Draft with board up/down?
Air draft?

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:33   #14

Sorry, no pics of the forepeak or after berth, its kinda dark in there. The forward is about 7 feet long and narrow, tapering from about 4 feet down to about 2 in width. The after berth is under the cockpit, about 6 feet long by about 5 feet wide. Being in the tropics, it was always cooler in the saloon. The cockpit is short but wide with opposed seating about 4 feet long each. I spread out with my legs over the main sheet track and have lots of space. Normally, we sail with a couple of the folding foam chairs for comfort.
She is supposed to weigh 7600# empty, never got to weigh her. She is 28 feet wide x 44 feet long x 3' draft board up/ 7' board down. Bridge clearance is right at 60 feet.

An early on pic of the cockpit. All the winches and stoppers are led through the dodger to the cockpit. There were 13 winches on the decks when we bought her, now there are 5. The jib sheet winches are mounted outside the aft edge of the cockpit.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:38   #15

Just out of curiosity, how many miles could you average per day on a passage?
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, trimaran