Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2019, 01:39   #1

Stiff Rudder and No Rudder Stop

Turning the tiller on my Newport 27 has always been quite stiff. Does the rudder stock and tube interface need lubricated? What lubricant is best and how is it applied? The laminated tube extends all the way up from the hull to the cockpit floor and I don't see any zerk type fitting in which to insert lubricant, the only thing I can figure is just squirting some down in the stock/tube interface at the top of the stock where it connects to the tiller. Also, I'm not seeing any upper bearing, perhaps it is missing or do Newport 27's not have upper rudder bearings? The stock is hollow aluminum until about 12" down inside the stock where suddenly there is a rusted hard surface, perhaps the hollow aluminum was filled with another metal for extra strength and that has begun to rust? Lastly, there appears to be no rudder stops as I can turn it over 90 degrees till the rudder is totally sideways, anybody else have this experience. I'm not sure if or how the rudder stop is integrated into the rudder system and how to fix it... Sorry so many questions, I hull out of the water in a few weeks and I haven't been able to find any information on the Newport 27 spade rudder stock and post construction, or others like it, to address these concerns, any info or shared experience helps! Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5181.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	434.0 KB
ID:	198590   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5185.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	198591  

makeurself145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 18:01   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Stiff Rudder and No Rudder Stop

There may have been something between the stock and the tube at some point, but it’s been worn away. We noticed some sloppiness in our steering and slipped a small sheet of HD plastic (teflon-like) into the gap between the stock and tube on our boat. (NOT a Newport 27) We leaned on the rudder to open the gap enough to get the sheet started in; it was pretty tight. Makes things much smoother for us. Other Newport owners may have better insight & suggestions.
Our rudder stops use the quadrant butting up against a block fiberglassed to the hull/transom. Your setup would depend upon where your stock is and what there is down there.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 18:05   #3

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Stiff Rudder and No Rudder Stop

Is there a Newport ownets group online that you can ask?
Either way, I'd drop the rudder when you haul and see what you've got. You can drill a small hole near the bottom of the rudder and see how much water drains out. You can pretty easily get delrin(or similar) bushing made up at a machine shop for replacements.

Tags
rudder