Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2019, 15:13   #1

Pearson 26 - Step 1

Hello All!

In our journey to be liveaboards, we've gotten a Pearson 26 as our first boat, and are starting to get her ready for the summer. We are learning as we go. After a full day aboard, moored in Salem, MA harbor, we need some help!

The head.... To the left of the head are two valves. Long on one side, and short on the other. One valve has choices of Sea/Tank, and the other has choices of Sea/Deck. There is a rubber bladder tank under the dinette, w/ a pump attached. Am I correct that one valve is for choosing if the head discharge goes to tank or sea, and the other is for pumping out the tank to the sea or deck? If so, which way is which? Long end points to where I want it to go? How should I leave these when leaving the boat?

One of the halyards is frayed. Can I replace it without going up the mast? I adjusted all the stays, they are now all tight, with the turnbuckles. How do I keep the turnbuckles from moving?

Finally, keel bolts. All 6 are there. They look solid, but are rusty, and the washers under a couple are pretty bad.... Can/should, I replace just the nuts and washers? Wait to fall and try and replace them when on the hard? Can I just do one at a time, and not remove the keel?

I know I said finally, but I lied. How can I get the boat trailered to my house for the winter?

Thanks all!
medicmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 19:37   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Pearson 26 - Step 1

Hi medicmatt, it's been a while since I was on a Pearson 26 but I did look at one I was considering buying some years back. My boat is very similar so until an owner chimes in here maybe I can offer a few words. One of the through hulls is the water intake (smaller) and the other is the exit (outflow). When the handle is in line with the hose it is open to that hose. Best to close them when leaving the boat. You might want to rethink that head situation though. Porta-potties are pretty good now and the five gallon ones can handle a lot without much water, pumping or chance of leakage, and you can eliminate the through-hulls and bladder and hoses. The 26 doesn't have much room to start with. Just a thought. Dessicating heads are out there too, but knowing your boat I doubt you have the room for it without remodeling.
A frayed halyard can be replaced by attaching a new halyard directly to the end of the old one. I have been successful by taping one to the other (not too much tape!) and SLOWLY pulling it up and through the blocks at the mast head, but I think I was kinda lucky. Better to stitch the ends together with a couple loops of twine (might need a sailmaker's or upholstery needle and a sailmaker's palm for it, but you could probably find a way to do it without it.)
As far as your keel bolts I'll defer to an owner with experience on that one!
Good luck, those are nice little boats!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 05:29   #3

Re: Pearson 26 - Step 1

Thanks!

No, these valves are separate from the through hulls. I found those, one for discharge and one for intake. The intake through hull moves, the discharge appears frozen shut. Hopefully it will make the season before haul out.

I will likely pull out the head this winter, and replace with a porta potty.

Cheers!
medicmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson