Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2018, 14:41   #31

Boat: between boats
Re: Bavaria Nautitech Fly 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
Hey Barra, while you are still "in between boats" wondering what is a good boat there are 1000+ owners of L440 & L450 out there, some of which are sailing long distances, and I am not aware of any of them "go over the side, brake a bone etc ..." more than on any other boat. There is no such thing as a perfect boat, I think you know that, and there is no such thing as a perfect life living on boat either, but sometimes you need to do something
Big difference between the 440 and 450 in terms of mainsail handling there rom which is what my post was about.

I do wonder how many 450 owners would in hindsight have selected in boom furling as a means to mitigate having to deal with the high boom. Plenty have changed to it after market.

Oh and numbers built and owned do not necessarily equate to the best model like in cars. Reason being the biggest sales are charter cats so all it indicates is they are the best charter cats.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 15:09   #32

Quote Barra "I mean just take a look at the pics of the boom on this version flybridge in particular and imagine trying to haul a jammed main down manually in some waves."

That is why we have a Spectra down haul line attached to head of sail, so if it will not come down under its own weight, you can use a power winch in the cockpit and drag it down from safty using a combination of the second reef and the Down haul rope attached to head of sail. This will be able to apply way more downward force on the sail, than me trying to pull the sail down ever would at the mast base.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 15:24   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
Quote Barra "I mean just take a look at the pics of the boom on this version flybridge in particular and imagine trying to haul a jammed main down manually in some waves."

That is why we have a Spectra down haul line attached to head of sail, so if it will not come down under its own weight, you can use a power winch in the cockpit and drag it down from safty using a combination of the second reef and the Down haul rope attached to head of sail. This will be able to apply way more downward force on the sail, than me trying to pull the sail down ever would at the mast base.
Wouldn't work on in mastfurling though.

I'm curious though - would you have gone in boom if it had been an option?
Old 23-01-2018, 22:06   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Wouldn't work on in mastfurling though.

I'm curious though - would you have gone in boom if it had been an option?
I have looked at it but $38K AUD plus was to much for me to justify it. (That was an add on, after market). The only time the high boom becomes a real problem is when trying to pack and zip the sail in the bag once finished with, this we only do once anchored / moored and the addition of hardtop ($22K) means I can just jump up on top and sort it out to zip up if required. As opposed to using a boat hook prior to the hardtop.

The high boom keeps getting people worried about issues which may threaten life and limb. Look at the number of injuries and deaths caused around the world by low booms on yachts connecting with the inexperienced or inattentive persons head. Either rendering them unconscious or flinging them into the water or both.

Friend has Just completed 4 years on L450 from France to Oz and all points in between with in mast furling and he just raves about it. (did not have full length battens though).

Talking to him last night over a sun downer and was commenting on people who scoff at L450 blue water capabilities and speed, crossing the Atlantic, he had a run averaging 215 mile/day for 5 days straight on one tack. While fishing and BBQ on the back, not to shabby for a block of flats. In four years he said he has never felt the boat would not handle the conditions they encountered from Med, to Atlantic to The Pacific.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 04:43   #35

Yep the after market cost once you include the sunk cost of existing main and boom makes it hard to swallow for sure. That's why I don't understand why lagoon and now nautitech don't offer this as an option for their flybridge cats to satisfy the guys that don't want to deal with such a high boom.
Old 24-01-2018, 05:59   #36
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Big difference between the 440 and 450 in terms of mainsail handling there rom which is what my post was about.
I have sailed both and don't see much difference ...

Anyway, this is nautitech thread, and I tend to agree with you that in boom furler seems like a good solution, better also IMO than in mast, and it would be an interesting option on flybridge boats especially, but not only.

A fellow forum member successfully installed one on his L450, I'm looking forward to getting some feedback from him over the months/years of use.

It seems to me that more and more people with limited sailing experience are buying cats so this option really makes sense. Also note that the trend in condomaran is higher roof & boom even without a flybridge.

Is there an explanation somewhere as to why nautitech selected in mast instead of in boom ?
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 04:49   #37
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

After a long decision making process , I ended up buying a fly version to be delivered in June 2018 which will be in our charter fleet from the last week of August 2018 onwards. If anyone is interested in sailing this boat, just send me a PM.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 05:21   #38

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Seriously, the open 40 when run in real boat on boat conditions has been a disappointment, almost everything beat it at Airlie and Hammo Race weeks, it is one of the slower boats in the social fun race fleet in Brisbane. As for "competition beating " 10 knots in 20-30, dont know what competition you are referring to, I know of a few cheaper production cats that will do better than that. In fact most production cats I have sailed of any brand are able to do constant 10s in 25 knots - thats less than half windspeed, Nice boat and everything but I think you are overhyping it a bit.
Agree, the few "races" we have seen from the Nautitech 40 Open, shows it to be slower than the standard Lagoon 380; here results from CatamaransCup 2016.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC16.png
Views:	161
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	166221  
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 08:56   #39
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
After a long decision making process , I ended up buying a fly version to be delivered in June 2018 which will be in our charter fleet from the last week of August 2018 onwards.
Congrats on your new investment ! Quite a surprise though after your previous message in this thread .. can you explain what finally makes you choose this boat over others ?

Does it come with the in mast furling system ??
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 02:34   #40
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
Congrats on your new investment ! Quite a surprise though after your previous message in this thread .. can you explain what finally makes you choose this boat over others ?

Does it come with the in mast furling system ??
I was convinced that charter clients would prefer this boat over other options because of extra spaces and particularly the exceptionally large flybridge that this boat offers. I chose classical mainsail because the fly version has a bit less of sail area compared to open version, on top furling main would further penalise the performance. (well the video of the fly with furling main suggests otherwise but, anyway..)
Moreover, the dealer of Bavaria Nauthitech has offered a very good price to have one of his boats in our charter fleet. (Meanwhile I have to say that Lagoon and FP have increased their prices substantially due to abnormal demand.. Compared to Helia that I had bought 4 years ago, now they quote %20 more in euro term for the same boat..)
Lastly, I have my Catana that I sail which is lightly chartered hence, I won't be sailing much with Nauthitech which wll certainly have more demand for charter.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 06:33   #41

We can see ( 6 min 26 sec) lockers under the bridge from the aft , it is interesting what is that?
Zenit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 07:25   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainmaker View Post
I see you are referring to race weeks -
Race weeks yes, but not race boats. FPs Seawinds and Catanas, Nothing exotic.
Quote:
I am comparing against FP/Lagoon/Catana Bali/Leopards I have had the pleasure to sail over the years
. With all due respect, if a boat cant sail quicker than a Bali, its beacause the mast has fallen over. It was you who used "crazy Ferrari like performance to describe the open 40. Its an okay boat but plenty of mini keel cruising multis are quicker. And windward performance is very disappointing, I have sailed quicker and higher than the 40 in our wednesday afternoon fun race on a number of boats - Seawind 1250s, Seawind 10 metres, Fusion 40s, and a few Schionnings - again I stress I am not dissing the boat, just trying to correct the assertion that it has crazy ferrari like performance. It doesn't.

Quote:
Can you name me a cruising cat with all comforts on board, of 46 feet weighing less than 11 tonnes, that has better performance and a similar price to Lagoon/FP/Bavaria Nautitech ?
There are literally a dozen Schionnings that would meet tha criteria. Oh and its not 46 foot, its 45foot 3 inches.

Quote:
Interested to see your answer
There it is - sorry it took a while.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 02:19   #43

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainmaker View Post

28-30knot winds in a relatively flat sea is not heavy weather.

Similar sized cat production cat
Disp 6000kg
Loaded 7500Kg
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 10:15   #44

Nice boat , but not faster than L46 I think , but much smaller
Zenit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2020, 12:13   #45

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenit12 View Post
Nice boat , but not faster than L46 I think , but much smaller
I hate throw cold water on your passion for the L46 but at 16-22 tonnes is not quick by anybodies wildest imaginations.

The 1295 is a metre shorter. If you want a metre longer there is the 1495.

Check out the gauges 9m:31s and 10m:04s and it is not even that windy.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria