Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2016, 08:00   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 409
Best long range WiFi/Cellular Antenna

A friend of mine recommended that I purchase The Wirie pro to boost WiFi and cellular signals.

I just want to make sure its the best option before I spend over $800 for it.

The Wirie pro Marine WiFi & xG System – The Wirie
2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
epiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 11:38   #2

Re: Best long range WiFi/Cellular Antenna

Please delete this thread.

On paper, this model does everything I am looking for. I ended up ordering one this afternoon.
2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
Old 28-09-2016, 17:30   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiic View Post
A friend of mine recommended that I purchase The Wirie pro to boost WiFi and cellular signals.

I just want to make sure its the best option before I spend over $800 for it.

The Wirie pro Marine WiFi & xG System – The Wirie
this won't boost cell phone signals if that is what you were hoping for. it's a cell router. you'd need a sim card and pay a monthly fee and it becomes an on board cell data hotspot.

it will have no effect on your phones.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 06:09   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
this won't boost cell phone signals if that is what you were hoping for. it's a cell router. you'd need a sim card and pay a monthly fee and it becomes an on board cell data hotspot.

it will have no effect on your phones.
Yes, I am aware of that. The antenna is for WiFi boosting only.

There is no all-in-one solution that boost both at the same time.
Old 29-09-2016, 09:16   #5

Boat: Gozzard Cutter 31'

Practical Sailor just posted a review of this product. Overall, they were positive, but expressed some concerns about the price. If all you need is to boost your WiFi then get the Wirie AP instead.
Old 29-09-2016, 09:47   #6

Boat: Freedom 32

I am so pleased with service , price and operation of my "Island Time" WI_FI... definitely check them out...
CaptPFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 10:00   #7

Boat: Leopard 43

Also be aware that the standard Wirie Pro does not work with LTE cellular signals. It only works with 3G/4G. You have to order the LTE option or add it with an upgrade kit. In addition, the Wirie LTE antenna does not currently work with T-Mobile. They say that they are working with T-Mobile to get this fixed (for several months now). I use T-Mobile and have found this to be a big limitation. On the East coast, T-Mobile often has only an LTE signal available and not 3G/4G. Also be aware that Verizon and Sprint do not use SIM cards so the Wirie Pro is not compatible with them. Basically, in the US the system is only fully functional with AT&T. In pricing comparison, I find AT&T to be 50% more expensive than T-Mobile. For now, I am tethering to my phone (instead of using the Wirie Pro that I have) and hoping that they are able to fix the technical issues with T-Mobile LTE.
tedowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 10:02   #8

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

I'm so sorry you pulled the trigger so quickly.

Islandtimpc.com has a much less expensive solution; I've been using it for over 10 years, and, in fact, am sending this from it.

I have no interest in the company other than as a massively satisfied customer; our rig is one of three shown for examples of ways to skin a cat (or mono)...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 11:01   #9

This is the most current survey of phone carriers from Tom's Guide, whom I have found to be very reliable.
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 11:31   #10

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

For Cell, I like my Wilson 3G Booster.. https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/med...solution-kits/
Old 29-09-2016, 13:17   #11

Boat: Endeavour, 1983 Sloop, 38 Ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPFD View Post
I am so pleased with service , price and operation of my "Island Time" WI_FI... definitely check them out...
I also swear by IslandTime. I have two wifi systems from IslandTime... 1 for cruising on the boat, the other for remote WiFi at home. I have had almost no problems but when I did, and called Bob at IslandTime, he always helped me with a smile
Bob is the best. I will always use IslandTime
SecondWind90814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 14:17   #12

Boat: Taswell 43

You must also be careful about which area you want the cell and WiFi(via a MiFi/Sim Card/Cell Tower system vs picking up somebodys "free" system) to work in, and what frequencies they work on in that area. The SIM card-driven, (MiFi) dedicated WiFi comes off a cell tower, and uses the same freqs that your cell phone uses. We're in the Caribb, and while PR and the USVIs are on one frequency set(800/1900MHz and others), the rest of the Caribb Isl are on different freqs(900/1800MHz and others). Some are the same, and some are different. Most all the amplifiers I've looked at work on either the "US" freq set, or on the Europe/Asia/Caribb freq set....but not on both! And almost all the amps will boost only 2 (or a few 3) freqs, and not all of them that may be used for 2G, 3G, 4G, and/or LTE-depending in the area. To me, it gets really messy, and you really need to know what you need and what you're buying. If, on the other hand, you are convinced that you can find and pick up an unlocked WiFi from a bar, etc, I think they mostly all use the same or similar freq (2.4GHz). But...you need to find an unlocked WiFi, or get the password, to be able to make it work. One size does NOT fit all!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 14:48   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedowens View Post
Also be aware that Verizon and Sprint do not use SIM cards so the Wirie Pro is not compatible with them.
Can't comment about compatibility with the Wirie but Verizon does now use SIMS. Have one in my Verizon Samsung Galaxy that I've had for a couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedowens View Post
In pricing comparison, I find AT&T to be 50% more expensive than T-Mobile.
Haven't compared prices since my cell is a work phone and free to me, but I have ATT for my home land line and internet and can guarantee they have absolutely the worst customer service of anyone. Almost impossible to get someone on the phone and the automated phone support system is awful. They did some kind of security upgrade a year ago that has blocked emails from several sources including one of my biggest overseas suppliers and will do NOTHING to fix it, even after a dozen or more calls and complaints. As soon as I can organize it I'm canceling everything ATT.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 16:32   #14

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

Ditto for Island Time.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 04:30   #15
cruiser

strange. islandtimpc.com website down.
QuarkElec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags