Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2016, 19:58   #1

Boat: Grand Soleil 52
Bedding hardware on teak decks

I am about to start bedding a set of load bearing pad eyes (for halyard blocks) onto a teak deck. The construction of the deck from top down is:

- teak (bedded not screwed)
- polyester GRP (6mm approx)
- plywood (14mm approx)
- polyester GRP (6mm approx)

THese are heavy duty pad eyes with 4 x 8mm bolts around the plate and 2 x 10mm bolts on the main load bearing eye.

The most critical seal is at the top GRP layer. Without the teak I would normally countersink the holes at this layer to get a good ring of sealant around the bolts. The presence of the teak layer makes this very difficult.

What is the best way of doing this job to ensure that there is good long term seal in a highly stressed deck area?
Streetcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 04:13   #2

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38
Re: Bedding hardware on teak decks

Make sure you have a substantial SS back plate on the overhead. If you are worried about the teak deck/FRP interface leaking you will have to address that the Mainsail way Re-Bedding Deck Hardware With Bed-It Butyl Tape Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

I have used butyl rubber on mine.

Tags
bed, deck, hardware, teak, teak deck