Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2016, 10:57   #1

Beach launching sailboat for Baja?

Hola amigos,
I'm looking for a boat I can launch off the beach in Cabo San Lucas for day sailing and camp sailing in the Sea of Cortez. My sailing experience is having owned a Bullseye in the Virgin Islands that took me all over. I've crewed on a 50' boat and taken some sailing classes to be certified for chartering.
Most interested in a boat to buy or build that I can row, sail and camp in with space for sleeping. It can be an open boat, cutty cabin or tent cabin as long as I can launch off the beach, row by myself and a good sailing boat. Where I'll launch is pretty calm for Cabo as it is behind a coral reef.
On-line I've found the Caladonia Yawl, the Swallow Bay Expedition and the Sea Pearl although I have not been in any of them.
Suggestions are welcome. I could probably build one as I am a gold smith and used to working with my hands although I'd rather just go sailing.
Saludos, Everyman
Everyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 11:43   #2

Boat: PSC Orion 27
Re: Beach launching sailboat for Baja?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyman View Post
Hola amigos,
I'm looking for a boat I can launch off the beach in Cabo San Lucas for day sailing and camp sailing in the Sea of Cortez. My sailing experience is having owned a Bullseye in the Virgin Islands that took me all over. I've crewed on a 50' boat and taken some sailing classes to be certified for chartering.
Most interested in a boat to buy or build that I can row, sail and camp in with space for sleeping. It can be an open boat, cutty cabin or tent cabin as long as I can launch off the beach, row by myself and a good sailing boat. Where I'll launch is pretty calm for Cabo as it is behind a coral reef.
On-line I've found the Caladonia Yawl, the Swallow Bay Expedition and the Sea Pearl although I have not been in any of them.
Suggestions are welcome. I could probably build one as I am a gold smith and used to working with my hands although I'd rather just go sailing.
Saludos, Everyman
Google 'sailboat camp cruising'. It's a fairly popular sport in some parts of the world. Have fun.

7 Ultimate Camping Cruisers: Back to Basics Boating - boats.com

everygoat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 14:39   #3
vjm

Take a look at Wharram cats
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 15:16   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Cats or tris are always nice, definitely, but I think you are asking about something more like a large (20-24') dory with a cuddy cabin, or just a large canvas cover, and maybe a junk rig, like a St. Pierre but scaled down a bit, with a centerboard and a kick-up rudder. (It would be nice to rig lee boards, but I can't think of a stout way to do that off-hand.) That's what I'd get. Actually I have always wondered how they'd sail even without a centerboard since they dig in their rockered chine pretty deeply when heeled. It will need a well for an outboard too since it probably will not sail to weather. You may have to build it though, not very common. If you don't load it too heavy, you should be able to row it pretty well too. Sounds like a really fun and simple way to explore Baja and enjoy pulling up to, and on, your own secluded beach. Dories are well known for their seaworthiness, but you still need to keep an eye out for those chubascos!
Jean Pierre Dory-boatdesign
27' St. Pierre Dory, one of the most seaworthy wood boats ever designed.
Ultra-Pierre: a 26' sail or power trailerable dory power or sail
http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...y-sailing-rigs
http://junkdorybuild.blogspot.com/2012/05/sailing.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 15:39   #5

BTW I know there are tour companies that used to use Drascombe Luggers for commercial tours. I went on one of those trips many years ago and they had a little fleet of them in Magdalena Bay. They sailed us to different beaches to camp for the night, and we sailed out to see the Gray Whales during the day. Pretty cool. But the weather was hot. Oh and BTW, welcome here!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 24-04-2016, 20:16   #6

Muchas gracias todos,
I much appreciate all the replies and have read and explored all the suggestions and links. If you think of anythng more please sent your thoughts along. Since writing I found another row/sail 18' boat called the Row Cruiser. It was designed by Angus Rowboats, the first person to go around the world by his own power either by bicycle or rowboat. Google it as it does both very gracefully. It might be a bit small for taking anyone else out on the boat with me though.
I'll let you know what I end up with and how it works out.
Saludos,
Everyman in Cabo
Old 24-04-2016, 20:54   #7

Boat: Catalina 387

Absolutely crazy suggestion: Macgregor 26. (I've never owned one)

Why? With the centerboard up it's a beachable powerboat. It can sail. It's big for a 26 footer. Sure, it's a poor sailor for a motorboat an a lousy motor for a sailboat. But there's a lot of folks that love em.

Or a hobiecat with camping gear on the tramp.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 21:46   #8

A friend here in Los Cabos who runs several catamarans for day cruises suggested the MacG 26 when I asked him about a fun boat for Cortez. I also ran across it on other forum strings. There's one up the Sea for sale at $14k but I haven't made the trip yet to see it.
I'm more of a beach launch situation so it won't work for me at this time, but a good suggestion. Thanks,
Old 24-04-2016, 21:51   #9

PS. I had a Hobie 18' here but never camped on it. Not very comfortable but do-able. I should have tried it but someone made me an offer and I let it go.
Old 25-04-2016, 08:24   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

There are quite a few launch ramps in the Sea of Cortez, too, including in Cabo. The pangas use them.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 09:06   #11

Boat: Vagabond 14

If i understand what you are trying to do... Hopping from beach to beach.

Mainly considering the beach launch & rigging issues:

Cat (you'll be tenting under the boom) or smallish swing keel monohull with an adequate cabin.

Daggerboard monohull boats are likely to be too small for the camping part to be comfortable.
Fixed keel would be annoying for the beach launch.

Generally something a bit light ( so the trailer doesn't get stuck in the sand) and with a quickly/easily stepped & rigged mast.

That will kind of limit the camping to sheltered coves or parked on the trailer.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 14:41   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to DerekKelsall

<http://kelsall.com/Designs/KSSAK26.htm>
You could build an Amkat 22 with own wheels.
Our current project is powering the hull rotation and the wheels - for any size or use - "I-Land Catamarans". All are KSS build - quickest to build and best. For further info - <derek@kelsall.com>. Simpler than you might think.

Happy boating

Derek.
DerekKelsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 17:10   #13

Boat: Ericson 38

I would look at a montgomery 17 or a 23. They are great to camp in and seaworthy enough to sail across the sea of cortez if you watch your weather. I believe that they have sailed across oceans. When I was in those cruizing grounds 25 years ago, there was a guy who sailed one down from california and lived on it in La Paz.
kenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 17:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenL View Post
. When I was in those cruizing grounds 25 years ago, there was a guy who sailed one down from california and lived on it in La Paz.
Yeah us Californians do some goofy things sometimes. I think I may know who that was! Was his name Rick?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
baja, sail, sailboat