Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2016, 02:39   #1

Boat: Prout
Could I manage Panama to Australia?

My Husband and I always sailed together until the Atlantic crossing,now I fly out for long stays.The next sail is Panama to Marquesas Isles.I am more than hesitant to cross the Pacific especially with it being just the two of us and with The El Nino.This is breaking my heart as I can't imagine us being apart for almost Year if I don't go.I would greatly appreciate some encouragement from anyone who has sailed this route.Fellow Wives/crew especially!
Debzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 03:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate pacific crossing

Hi..
Do not know if you are mono or cat and I am not a woman.. but will give you an account of my last crossing in a 54ft mono in 2012..
Left the Las Brisas, Panama anchorage in July and motored nearly all the way to the Galapagos.. after that we picked up some wind and when 5* S swung W for the Marquesas..
From there on the winds averaged a F5 just off the stern and we made good time.. sea's were on the stern, stern quarter which induced a roll which was emphasised by the fact this particular boat was top heavy..
No storms, sea's 2-3 metres..
Took 37days non-stop to Nuku Hiva..
You could break it up with a stop at the Galapagos..
Best wishes..
Phil

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 05:09   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Could I manage Panama to Australia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debzz View Post
This is breaking my heart as I can't imagine us being apart for almost Year if I don't go.
Don't worry! There are many beautiful women in French Polynesia, and the Marquesas girls particularly attractive so your husband will be fine.

And I am only half joking. What do you want to do? Stay at home and wait till old age overtakes you? Or live life?

It really gets down to you and how you want to play out your final years. The Pacific is a one and only. Very few do it twice. So its now or never.

The Pacific is an easy run. Wind fully up the bum from Panama to Sydney. Current with you from 500nms before Galapagos until Sydney. Beautiful islands, great snorkeling, wonderful people --- and you want to miss this?

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 05:15   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: pacific crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Took 37days non-stop to Nuku Hiva..
You could break it up with a stop at the Galapagos..
37 days! That boat must have been a lump of lard. Or did you stop for swimming every hour?
Took us 10 days to Galapagos, 20 to Hiva Oa.
Galapagos totally unmissable. Fantastic.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 06:51   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: pacific crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
37 days! That boat must have been a lump of lard. Or did you stop for swimming every hour?

You don't remember him posting about the top heavy tub of jelly motor sailer who's owners refused to pay him for the delivery once it arrived in OZ?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 07:17   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: pacific crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Actually it was 54ft of steel.. not 39ft of plastic teacup with a lid..
A+1 on the S. Pacific... though being a delivery I could not enjoy them as much as MarkJ..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 07:29   #7

Boat: Ohlson 29

Hi debzz,

You're not giving us a lot to go on here but from your previous posts I understand you have a Prout cat and you worry about storms etc.

It's your husband, your marriage and your opportunity to see some of the most amazing places on this planet -- or not. Hence, it's also your decision.

From the little we know, it sounds like your husband knows what he wants to do, and he's doing it -- with or without you. You're free to join him or stay behind and follow when and where you can and want by plane.

Without knowing WHY you don't want to sail with him, there is nothing much to say really ...

* Is he not a good sailor, does he take risks he shouldn't be taking and is that why you don't feel safe on the boat?

* Is he a good sailor, but are you afraid out on the ocean because of what might happen? Do you trust the boat and your husband enough to know you'll be fine even if you do end up in a storm?

* Has something bad happened during your Atlantic crossing that made you afraid to keep sailing? If so, what happened and how did you two deal with it?

* Do you want to travel the world or would you rather stay close to home or just fly out for vacations on well known tourist resorts, and not go "to the less traveled"?

Your husband will be fine - he can sail solo or take on a crew, whatever he wants. And as MarkJ said -- he won't be lonely if he doesn't want to be.

So this is about you, what you want and what is stopping you from simply going back to the boat and your husband and travel together.

The only thing I can say, from personal experience, is that in my opinion sailing with a partner who doesn't really want to be there is a lot worse then sailing without said partner ...
See if you can find a way to sail together and share the dream, or, if there is no way to do this that makes you both happy, set yourselves free so each can do what makes him / her happy. Life is to short to anchor each other down.
Old 16-01-2016, 07:37   #8

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Debzz, I dont know what happened on the Atlantic crossing. But you do sound fearful. So give your fear a name like Bob or Tammy and stomp the crap out of it. When fear raises it's head, address the fear by name. "Oh no you don't foul Tammy, I am in control now!". (My apologies to innocent Tammie everywhere)
Name in the thing that gets in your way is a powerful way to address the problem. It disengage YOU from the thing and gives you more control.
Then, be fully involved in the planning and desicions. Take action instead of being passive in the process. This will give you more knowledge and confidence in yourself.
Don't let this thing rule your desires or dreams. Take as much control and action as you can.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 08:40   #9

Boat: Myra 21 - 1973 - MD2B

When in doubt...
Why not fly to Polynesia, join him there, halfway to Aus, and maybe continue together for the other half ?
Almost all ocean passage stories are exhausting and terrifying experiences, which is great if you're into that, if not: so what? Every passagemaker (except MarkJ here) is glad on landfall: ever heard of someone regretting it's over ??
Don't push yourself on this. If an ocean passage is not your thing: fine, and choose another transport to see all those wonderfull places.
Vronsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 08:49   #10

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vronsky View Post
Almost all ocean passage stories are exhausting and terrifying experiences,

I don't know what movies you're watching or which blogs you are reading, but saying most passages are terrifying is just plain old BS.
Just how much sailing experience are you basing that comment on?
Old 16-01-2016, 09:03   #11

Boat: Saturn 33 Pilothouse

when i had this opportunity to go from Panama to Australia i would chump on it with no regrets. Ok i don't no what put you so much fear in your head on Atlantic crossing. But like lots of people here mentioned the trip across the Pacific is a lifetime achievement. And for all with your husband who has sailed with out big problems (so i guess) over the atlantic i would not have to big problems to go with him. You will enjoy the nice watches in the night, only the sound of the water going by, the great feeling when you see land and for all the exploring of this islands. What a joy i tell you. Look on youtube all the videos on the crossing of the Pacific and look the joy the people have. And for all you and your husband will have a deeper bond. You are not only his wife no you are his companion on a trip he and hopefully you will enjoy and talk until you both are gone form this earth. So don't be fearful take the fear by the horns and jump in in a trip of the biggest proportions. And enjoy
SY. Icebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 09:17   #12

Its called the milk run by long time cruisers. All downhill. With today's nav systems you could do this cruse from your berth. Think you might want to spend more than a year doing it since there are so many island nations along the way that are gorgeous and mysterious at the same time.
You could wait for the El Nino to end but then the La Nina will probably start up. We never did the Milk Run during an El Nino so someone else will have to advise on that issue.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 09:53   #13

I'm a male who sailed from Panama to Tahiti a couple years ago. I'm not sure how much El Nino affects the wind patterns. But the sailing is generally quite easy with some occasional squalls. On a boat that size, you might consider adding an additional crewmate. It would shorten watches and generally make the trip more enjoyable. But to miss the Galapagos, Marquesas and Tuamotus would be a HUGE mistake. They are amazing!
sailguy98245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 09:57   #14

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

It sounds like you are just afraid. There is nothing we can say to make you less afraid. Yes, its a bit scary. Everything worthwhile in life usually is.

You should go. You are lucky to have a great husband and a bluewater cruiser. You have what so many on this forum desire. Please don't waste it.

Live.

Go.

Tell us about it.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 10:55   #15

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I remember the first time I left Panama to cross the South Pacific, we circled through the mooring field to say goodbye. One of our (female) friends said "aren't you afraid"? I said "I'm afraid there's going to be no wind between here and the Galapagos".

The woman was on a boat with her husband which had waited 28 days in Aruba for Herb to say it was safe to sail to Panama, so she was definitely the nervous type. However she safely completed her circumnavigation.

All in all, I'd much rather sail across the South Pacific again than the North Atlantic. That's why it was named the "Pacific".
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, Panama