Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2017, 04:27   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 409
Best digital charts for the Caribbean?

I have both Navioncs and C-Map digital charts for the Bahamas but I am planning to continue south (starting with Puerto Rico).

What brand charts are the best for the Caribbean?

C-Map is known to be the best for Bahamas due to being based on he Explorer charts. Are they also good for the rest of the Caribbean?

Navionics Platinum+ SD 908 Caribbean+Bermuda is $350 on Amazon but I don't want to pull the trigger until I know its a good choice.
2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
epiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 05:21   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Best digital charts for the Caribbean?

We have used the C-Map charts down here for a year. They are not only accurate, but ours include Active Captain data. Our charts also contain Explorer and Wavy line charts so Bahamas and Turks are also covered.

We are happy with them.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 05:34   #3

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiic View Post
I have both Navioncs and C-Map digital charts for the Bahamas but I am planning to continue south (starting with Puerto Rico).

C-Map is known to be the best for Bahamas due to being based on he Explorer charts. Are they also good for the rest of the Caribbean?

Navionics Platinum+ SD 908 Caribbean+Bermuda is $350 on Amazon but I don't want to pull the trigger until I know its a good choice.
===

I have used C-map chart chips from the northern Canadian maritimes all the way south to Grenada and have found them to be very accurate. As always of course, everything should be confirmed with a Mark I eyeball and/or radar.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 06:00   #4

P.S. The C-Map Max-N+ charts are actually cheaper than the ones you listed. Here they are on Defender.
C-MAP MAX-N+ WIDE Electronic Navigation Charts

However.. You need to do your research as the MAX-N+ charts are only compatible with very recent plotter models. If you have an older plotter then you will need to get the MAX-N (notice no +) version. They are even cheaper but don't include extra stuff like Active Captain.
Old 13-05-2017, 08:44   #5

I have a B&G Zeus 2 plotter so the Max-N+ are compatible.

So the consensus seems to be that C-Map is better than Navionics...

It will be interesting to see if ActiveCaptain is included with future C-Map charts since Garmin purchased AC recently.
2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
Old 13-05-2017, 09:02   #6
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

For south of BVI a crew member had NV chart in his ipad. We relied on it from Martinique to the BVI including a night entrance at St Martin. Chart was beautiful, accurate and the app worked very well. Best looking electronic chart i have ever seen.

I have Navionics Platinum+ in New England waters, but i will check out NV charts for all my travel
Old 13-05-2017, 10:48   #7

Quote:
I have a B&G Zeus 2 plotter so the Max-N+ are compatible.

So the consensus seems to be that C-Map is better than Navionics...

It will be interesting to see if ActiveCaptain is included with future C-Map charts since Garmin purchased AC recently.
I can only comment on the C-Map charts against the Navionics app (since I didn't buy a Navionics chip for my Zeus2). The fact is, they are both excellent. However, I like the C-map for 3 reasons.
1. Active Captain
2. Wavy line charts
3. Explorer charts

I think Navionics has one advantage. I beleive that the cards are updatable online for free for a year. Thats a fair advantage over C-Map which requires you to go to a dealer and costs 1/2 the cost of the chart.

If you have to cross the Turks Bank, then I would definately go with C-Map. The wavy line charts are pretty essential for crossing that bank!
Old 13-05-2017, 11:00   #8
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

I used the Navionics app extensively in the Old Bahamas Channel. Chart was good but the app itself is buggy. It would zoom in and out by itself at inopportune times. Freeze. Needs work
Old 13-05-2017, 11:28   #9

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
For south of BVI a crew member had NV chart in his ipad. We relied on it from Martinique to the BVI including a night entrance at St Martin. Chart was beautiful, accurate and the app worked very well. Best looking electronic chart i have ever seen.
I purchased NVCHARTS from Island Water World in St. Maarten. It came as a package of paper and electronic charts with a great app. It can be installed on five devices, I so installed on our laptop, Ipad, Android phone and another tablet and backup laptop. It works great.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 11:37   #10

Boat: offshore 8 meter

Quote:

i use mike quinns nimble navigator navstick, costs about 150 us dollars and has the whole world, turns your laptop into a chart plotter complete with gps.
scallowayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 11:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallowayuk View Post
i use mike quinns nimble navigator navstick, costs about 150 us dollars and has the whole world, turns your laptop into a chart plotter complete with gps.
you need paper charts as well whatever system you use, imray iolaire are the best charts for the caribbean, regards
Old 13-05-2017, 12:11   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallowayuk View Post
Alright this is a whole other conversation, but a little google and I can't figure out the point of that system.

Why would I shell out $100 for a stripped down version of OpenCPN (essentially). Seriously.. Not to mention it uses stolen CM93 charts, that are horrible in parts of the Caribbean. What am I missing? What does this thing provide that isn't already on the market (for free)?

Is it the GPS? Jease, they are little a few dollars on Amazon on Ebay.
Old 13-05-2017, 12:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post

If you have to cross the Turks Bank, then I would definately go with C-Map. The wavy line charts are pretty essential for crossing that bank!
What are these wavy line charts exactly?

Is that the purple line that are recommended routes overlaid on the charts?
Old 13-05-2017, 12:48   #14

Quote:
What are these wavy line charts exactly?

Is that the purple line that are recommended routes overlaid on the charts?
Wavy line charts are competition to Explorer charts. Many will argue they are as or more accurate. The C-Map cards use both Wavy and Explorer in Bahamas and switch to Wavy in areas where Explorer end. The Wavy line charts were the first to accurately chart the T&C bank. You can read about them here.
Charts | Wavey Line Charts

They come highly recommended in many cruising guides and literature. Including Van Sant's Passages South book.

Not only are they excellent on the T&C bank, but also on the north side of DR. Good stuff.
Old 13-05-2017, 18:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Alright this is a whole other conversation, but a little google and I can't figure out the point of that system.

Why would I shell out $100 for a stripped down version of OpenCPN (essentially). Seriously.. Not to mention it uses stolen CM93 charts, that are horrible in parts of the Caribbean. What am I missing? What does this thing provide that isn't already on the market (for free)?

Is it the GPS? Jease, they are little a few dollars on Amazon on Ebay.
YOU ASKED FOR ADVICE. use whatever system you want but open cpn and nimble navigator are fine, no chart plotter can take the place of paper charts, if you rely only on a chart plotter your a fool, my opinion is based on 8 atlantic crossings solo and four seasons in the caribbean the last one in2015 what your missing is if you need everything done for you with a chartplotter perhaps you need a bit more experiance, theres plenty of idiots sailing the caribbean that dont even know how to anchor

Tags
Caribbean, charts, rib