Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 07:28   #1

Boat: Summer Twins 25
Aries Wind Vane on a Catamaran?

I'm researching fitting a Wind Vane self steering system on my Heavenly Twins Catamaran.
I've read the pros and cons but I'm interested in getting some feedback from someone who has actually done this to their Catamaran or who has sailed on one with this system onboard.
I'm looking at the Aries System which has a Pendulum Servo Rudder which would be attached to a wheel drum on the wheel rather than the tiller.
I'm thinking of positioning it on the port stern rather than centre.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
philipmclaren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:37   #2

Re: Aries Wind Vane on a Catamaran?

I've had lots of experience with wind vanes but not on Cats. That said, if your Cat is on the performance side then a vane is not that practical as it operates and steers to the apparent wind. When your Cat accelerates quickly the apparent wind moves forward and the vane tries to follow the original setting which simply doesn't work well. The fast monos have the same issues with windvanes. If you are sailing one of the condo cats which are lower performance you might be happy with the results but best to check with others that have maybe used one on a similar boat to yours.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:48   #3

Boat: Dean 365
Re: Aries Wind Vane on a Catamaran?

I have a Autohelm mechanical wind vane on my Dean 365 catamaran. The vane controls an auxiliary rudder instead of being a servo pendulum type. I moved it from my monohull and it works well, although not quite as effectively as on the monohull. I use it all the time on crossings. It even works down wind when there is wind.

I originally tried to install it on one hull, but could not support it structurally so I installed it in the middle between the hulls.
Meandercp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aries, aries wind vane, catamaran, wind, wind vane