Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2018, 13:16   #16

Re: Questions for Submariners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
To ALL: Thanks for the answers to my questions.

I still find the pagoda shapes interesting.
I also find them interesting, as an ex ESM operator and instructor. ESM systems detect virtually the entire electromagnetic spectrum. The difficulty with that being that the antennae required for the lower frequencies used to be huge. They've now managed to make the antennae much, much smaller yet still capable of covering the majority of radar and comms bands with very, very good gain. They also have satcomm antennae in there, so they can catch message traffic and a GPS fix with only a small portion of the mast exposed.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 13:26   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

As a Warrant Officer myself I remember the Naval Warrant that sold the secret as to how the screws were made, among of course much, much more.
https://news.usni.org/2014/09/02/joh...ggest-betrayal
Only “bad” Warrant that I know of.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 13:47   #18

Another note about top speed: it depends on what the CO is willing to do. Meaning the reactor is rated at 50% of it's actual power output. At the CO's discretion, engineering can go into Battle Short and they can go up to 120% of reactor power, or 60% of actual output. This would mean a higher top speed, but...

There are several reasons why he wouldn't want to do that. In no particular order they are:

1. The reactor generates huge amounts of heat in the engineering spaces and any extended period of time near full power, or exceeding that, makes for a very cranky engineering dept. Especially if it's only because the CO just feels like it.

2. Although the reactor makes a lot of power, it's not free power and it costs a lot of money to refuel one. The amount of power used out of the reactor is measured in Equivalent Full Power Hours. At the end of every day, they total up how many hours were spent at whatever power level they were running at and those are converted into full power hours. For example, 4 hrs at half power would equal 2 hours at full power. If the CO spends a lot of time flogging the boat just for giggles, it's going to show up as high EFPH at the next quarterly review, and it could result in the boat getting refueled before it's originally scheduled shipyard date. Not a career enhancing move for any CO.

3. A CO gets his command partially by showing good judgement at all times. As is usually the case, the harder you push things, the more likely something is going to break and nuclear subs are no exception. No CO wants to admit he broke a $2B toy because he was goofing around and just wanted to see what she'd do in Battle Short.
Old 14-08-2018, 14:18   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
As a Warrant Officer myself I remember the Naval Warrant that sold the secret as to how the screws were made, among of course much, much more.
https://news.usni.org/2014/09/02/joh...ggest-betrayal
Only “bad” Warrant that I know of.
I wasn't aware of the extent of his family's damage to our military secrets at the time, but I sure remember how much was changed as a result of his betrayal. They changed the crypto gear, and implemented all kinds of new safeguards to prevent anything like that from ever happening again.

Considering recent episodes of mishandling classified material, it makes me wonder how some people get prosecuted and others don't.
Old 14-08-2018, 15:27   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Another note about top speed: it depends on what the CO is willing to do. Meaning the reactor is rated at 50% of it's actual power output. At the CO's discretion, engineering can go into Battle Short and they can go up to 120% of reactor power, or 60% of actual output. This would mean a higher top speed, but...
Obvious you weren't a nuc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 23-01-2022, 13:39   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

New question: Why do some modern nuclear subs have the diving planes on the hull (near the bow), while others have them on the sail?

It appears that some American subs have the diving planes on the sail, while others have them on the hull. I am not sure if this is determined by the class of sub, with missile subs having them on the sail, while attack subs on the bow or not. ???

The Russian subs I have seen in photos have them on the hull.

What advantage to either location? What disadvantages?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine