Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2019, 16:38   #1

Boat: Allweather 26
Mooring Hook

What do you think of these? It is made by Wichard. Do you use one? There are other types. I am mostly inquiring about the hook itself, strength and reliability wise, and not the attachment to the boathook, though that would be a plus. My boat is a small trawler about 5000 lbs and I am installing a mooring. An easy way to connect would be great.

fritzdfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 17:46   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Mooring Hook

They work great. It takes a bit of practice but you'll quickly get the hang of it.

The problem is removing it when you're done. You have to be able to reach it to release it. Not easy if you have high freeboard, and you'll probably be up on the bow where it's the highest. In calm weather with minimal current you may be able to pull the mooring ball up high enough with a boat hook, but that'll be dicey in wind or current, especially if the mooring chain is weighed down by marine growth.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 18:17   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
They work great. It takes a bit of practice but you'll quickly get the hang of it.

The problem is removing it when you're done. You have to be able to reach it to release it. Not easy if you have high freeboard, and you'll probably be up on the bow where it's the highest. In calm weather with minimal current you may be able to pull the mooring ball up high enough with a boat hook, but that'll be dicey in wind or current, especially if the mooring chain is weighed down by marine growth.
If I were to use one of these, I'd only consider it temporary. Easy to get your initial hookup... but then via dinghy or otherwise I'd make a more secure attachment and recover the hook back on board.

Another approach is to use a device called a "Happy Hooker" IIRC. This clever thing actually passes a line through an eye on the mooring and allows you to return it to the bow. Never used one myself,but others swear that they actually work! No special hook is needed, and you cast off as normal when leaving.

But learning the skills to reach and engage a mooring without doo-dads is what you really need to develop... just in case you drop your doo-dad overboard someday!

Jim
Old 05-05-2019, 18:39   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

I have a similar doodad (technical term, no doubt ) which I use when grabbing a mooring ring. It’s not exactly the same as the one shown, but close enough. I’ve used it perhaps a dozen or so times over the past decades, and it has always worked well, and makes the job of snagging the ball easier.

As Jim says though, it is only intended as the initial hook. A proper mooring line (or two) then needs to be secured. The doodad just provides the easy first connection so you can then secure the proper lines.
Old 05-05-2019, 19:10   #5

Happy Hooker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Z3AMzZNSsJs
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:16   #6

And another mooring doodad...
"Hook and Moor" by Robship
https://youtu.be/7EAwDS9i9p0
SV Tru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:29   #7

For those who don't like to sit through videos just to see a product:

https://www.amazon.com/HOOK-MOOR-BOA.../dp/B00B8F32JW

https://www.amazon.com/Panther-85-B2.../dp/B00CKFUIY6

Or, if you like to spend several hundred extra to get a solid stainless version:

https://www.amazon.com/Panther-85-B2.../dp/B00CKFULBQ
Old 06-05-2019, 04:35   #8

OK, since we’re sharing, here’s my doodad. Works well. Not exactly essential equipment, but makes snagging a low-lying mooring ball or hook a lot easier.

https://www.amazon.com/C-SHERMAN-JOH.../dp/B000FOYDHC
Old 06-05-2019, 05:06   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I have one of the hooks that you pictured. I sail solo a lot and figure it is good to lead a line from the hook to the bow roller and then lead it aft along the deck to a winch. The idea was to come alongside the mooring ball and hook it, then when drifting back to winch up near the ball so I could fit a proper line. The one time I tried it the hook was not big enough to grab the eye or the line on a large mooring ball. So I went around and did the normal boat hook grab. I still plan on trying it again soon.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:17   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have a hook and moor.
It’s an outstanding, really strong pole, but as I almost never take a ball, I don’t think we have used it for it’s intended purpose more than once.
It does work, and it’s almost like magic to see it work, very clever thing.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:49   #11

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Mooring Hook

I have the Hook and Moor and I recommend it. Many of the better mooring fields such as at Catalina Island have floats and wands attached to the mooring line so you don’t need a hook. But many places such as Newport Beach do not have pick up wands. Some moorings have just the ring on top and the Hook and Moor works great. I pull a thin line through the ring with the Hook and Moor then use that line to pull a heavier line through the ring.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:46   #12

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

So why not just throw your anchor bridle over the mooring ball to hold you in place while you thread the rode into the ring? My chain hook is heavy enough to flip easily over the ball and sink on the far side, that holds us in place in front of the mooring ball while I use the boathook to slip the mooring pennant into the ring. Once that’s done I just release one end of the bridle and pull it onboard.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:48   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
OK, since we’re sharing, here’s my doodad. Works well. Not exactly essential equipment, but makes snagging a low-lying mooring ball or hook a lot easier.

https://www.amazon.com/C-SHERMAN-JOH.../dp/B000FOYDHC
I've seen those, but I have to admit I don't see how the release works. So you pull the ring, and...

Wouldn't that just jam the ring of the mooring buoy against the pivoting closure? Is that closure piece spring-loaded? What keeps it from releasing on its own when the line slacks off?

Old 06-05-2019, 12:22   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I've seen those, but I have to admit I don't see how the release works. So you pull the ring, and...

Wouldn't that just jam the ring of the mooring buoy against the pivoting closure? Is that closure piece spring-loaded? What keeps it from releasing on its own when the line slacks off?

Yes, the closing piece is spring-loaded. The spring is sufficiently stiff to keep the gate closed, but when loaded it swings either way to snap on or snap off. So to release you just pull the white loop away from the closing piece (to the left in this picture). I do this with my boat hook.

It’s quite easy, and has never failed me. Although as I say, I’ve only actually used in perhaps a dozen times. Most of the time I anchor.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:49   #15

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

A second for the Hook and Moor. Incredibly well made and very strong and extend a long way. As well as buoy rings they work on fixed and floppy rings on shore and pontoon. Depending on the orientation of the ring you can operate by pushing or pulling.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring