Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2017, 16:32   #1

Boat: fountaine pajot athena 38
Fountaine pajot athena

I'm having a FP Athena surveyed. Other than the usual issues to look for, is there anything peculiar to an Athena to check. Thanks in advance.
FSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 03:36   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II
Re: Fountaine pajot athena

Weve had our 2002 one for 7 years. I think it's a great and very underrated boat. They are well built with hand layup and therefore do not have the problems from Lavezzi onwards with osmosis etc.
Most of the problems that can arise are common to all boats whether half boats (mono) or whole boats (cat).
Specific to Athena:
  • Gelcoat cracking at the top of transom steps, not serious
  • Corrosion of aluminium fuel and water tanks if they have been allowed to stand in saltwater from blocked drain in locker or deck leaks for water tanks
  • Gas stowage does not meet any regs. Mine had bottles in stern locker which while it drains overboard also can drain into both stern cabins, via battery compt on stbd side. Some boats have moved them into anchor locker which is very close to hob and oven but it can be salty wet there. I put a separate gas tight box in stern locker draining overboard.
  • Yanmar SD20 saildrives can leak seawater past seals. Check oil is not milky. Fix usually new seals and do not overfill oil. Could require new output shafts if scored.
  • Rigging is pretty chunky and hence expensive to replace.
  • Deck gear is Amiot as standard which is not great quality and main traveller car often does not travel easily. New Torlon balls help. Toggles on traveller seize and break.
  • Escape hatches prone to seizing and leaking
As I said, not a great deal of problems and most gear related
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 05:14   #3

Thanks Rapanui. Doesn't sound bad but you would think they could figure out the gas locker by 2002.
Old 20-12-2017, 05:47   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSmith View Post
Thanks Rapanui. Doesn't sound bad but you would think they could figure out the gas locker by 2002.
Its a common issue in that era of FP...and even some newer Euro boats. They dont, and are not obligated to, follow ABYC standards re propane systems...most are much more casual.

Ive run a number of Athenas...good little boats. As posted, I cant think of problems specific to the Athena, but just problems common on many boats. I do know they hold up well in charter, the decks are layed up thin in some spots, but Ive never known that to become an issue.

Access to front of engine, like other FPs of that area, is very poor because it is mounted very close to a bulkhead.

Big problem with bi-metal corossion in stancion bases...also common on other FPs from that era...good news is that the stancions will never accidently come off!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 06:15   #5

I forgot the stanchion bases. Ours looked fine until one day one of the yard labourers pulled a bit hard and it just fell apart, corroded from inside. I am changing them all out for round 3 bolt stainlesspacked to get stanchion at the right angle and sealed with Marineflex. None of the other stanchion bases I have taken off were affected.
The other thing was that the motoring nav lights seemed to use the masthead tri-colour and the halfway up the mast steaming light. I do not think that's legal and I am in process of putting LED port stbd and stern lights more conventionally placed.
Old 20-12-2017, 08:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
I forgot the stanchion bases. Ours looked fine until one day one of the yard labourers pulled a bit hard and it just fell apart, corroded from inside. I am changing them all out for round 3 bolt stainlesspacked to get stanchion at the right angle and sealed with Marineflex. None of the other stanchion bases I have taken off were affected.
The other thing was that the motoring nav lights seemed to use the masthead tri-colour and the halfway up the mast steaming light. I do not think that's legal and I am in process of putting LED port stbd and stern lights more conventionally placed.
Wow, never actually seen them fail, but makes sense...bad design.

Tri-color is for under sail only so if you just have tri-color and steaming then not officially valid. Steaming is for use w deck level nav lights. Though....Ive seen some goofy lighting on the water and never heard of the COLREGS Policy giving any one a ticket for that. At least they are lit! [emoji6]
Old 20-12-2017, 12:34   #7

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

We have lived on ours hull #29 full time for 3 years now. Most of what's been said is fairly accurate. We've never had a stanchion base or water tank problem yet. We did have to I stall a new fuel tank, replace rudder bearing housings (easy job), replacing standing rigging now. The diamonds were original. Just replaced the salon windows, the bottoms became unadhered the tops however needed damn near a chainsaw for removal. We replaced with a double uv coated lexan. They look great. Cost less then $400.00 to do both. We've heavily modified ours, 3 ft transom extensions, hard top, arch, 750 watts of solar, and aluminum walkway across the back between the hulls. Feathering flexo fold props,
Our boat is fairly heavily loaded but below the 5000lb rating and still sails fantastic. Great boats, not perfect. More Lightly built then say a leopard but strong where they need to be.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 13:16   #8

Our saloon windows did exactly the same, became unbonded at the base but well adhered elsewhere. in addition, the breakdown of the bond caused black streaking when you washed the boat down. I am pretty sure that was caused by the sun UV attacking the adhesive on the double sided foam. (The black paint that covers the joint on the outside protects from the UV to some extent but wears off over the years.
I cheated and fixed it in situ, as the perspex is still in fair shape. Cleaned where it de-bonded, primed both surfaces and then injected Marineflex (1 part polyurathane adhesive sealer similar to Sikaflex) from the inside. That seems successful after 1 season. Still figuring out how to do the same from the outside. We did the cockpit to the saloon window the same way but on the outside this time about 5 years ago and that has lasted well.
Old 20-12-2017, 16:32   #9

Thanks guys for all the input. I would think new curved windows will be very expensive
Old 20-12-2017, 16:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSmith View Post
Thanks guys for all the input. I would think new curved windows will be very expensive
Acylic/Lexan, the most likely materials you would use, have a fair amount of flex in larger not too thick sheets. I suspect the windows in the Athena could be replaced without pre-thermoformed plastic.
Old 20-12-2017, 17:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Acylic/Lexan, the most likely materials you would use, have a fair amount of flex in larger not too thick sheets. I suspect the windows in the Athena could be replaced without pre-thermoformed plastic.
We did ours in UV treated Lexan, we traced out one of ours and they were identical for the opposite side. We were able to make 2 Windows from 1 4'x8' sheet of lexan/polycarbonate. It flexed enough to make the bends easily without heating. I used 4 tubes of Dow 795 per side
Old 20-12-2017, 17:13   #12

Good info. Thanks dulcesuenos
Old 22-12-2017, 05:39   #13

How did the survey go?
Old 23-12-2017, 05:15   #14

No survey yet. I'm checking her out this weekend
Old 25-12-2017, 09:57   #15

Does the port engine need to be running for the windlass to be operational?

Tags
fountaine pajot