Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2010, 19:46   #31
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Also they depreciate like hell so I would never buy a new one. Late model used is the way to go on a boat like this.
I bought a Hunter 410 in 1998, and sold it for its base price eight years later. Of course, I lost whatever I put into it in terms of extras such as the diesel furnace and radar, but I certainly didn't expect an eight-year-old, black-and-white radar to sell for much compared to what was being sold in 2006.

My wife bought a $23,000 Chrysler in 2000, and eight years later sold it for $800. The car was totally turnkey, and the only maintenance it needed was a new set of brakes. And maybe a new set of wipers.

I keep hearing that boats, especially production boats, depreciate as bad as cars. My experience has proved the exception to that rule. Of course, I've always treated my boats with more TLC than my wife has treated her cars. But I question the assertion that Hunters "depreciate like hell." If nothing else, the don't depreciate as bad as Chryslers.
Old 20-06-2010, 19:51   #32

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
I have never given Hunters a look but i just happened to click on a 1984 Hunter 34 on ebay and was supprised at a lot of well thought out details such as 8 opening ports,hatches over the fwd cabin,head and saloon plus the sliding hatch,2 large dorade box vents with ss tubing bars to prevent lines catching them, now thats a lot of good ventilation,good handrails in and out,decent nav station, a u shaped galley that keeps the cook contained by the engine box, i dont know if they are any better or worse built than any other moderate displacement brand name but i would consider one,i think this thread may be more about the newer models though which i havnt looked at so cant coment.
Steve.
Old 21-06-2010, 00:04   #33
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Now did you know there is a hunter with a bath tub?

I have made several complaints to Beneteau asking for a retro-fit bathtub but obviously they think it will affect the sailing perfromance on the wind in 35+ knots if you scrub and use turbo bubbles at the same time....

Hunter 50 Center Cockpit.
The bath is actually under the island berth in the aft cabin.

Thats my sort of cruising!!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 21-06-2010, 03:43   #34
CLOD

Boat: none
People who say the Hunters lose all thie value must never have gone on Yatchworld and looked. Near as I can tell they hold thier valve BETTER that the semi-custom boats we talk of loving on the forum. The 42' 1990 or so boats are listed around $125k, which as percent of orginal price is holding valve a lot better that a semi-custom listed at $200k that sold for over twice the Hunter when new.

Seems the only people who don't like these boats are forum posters.

PS - as far as age I guess I'm talking about something around 1990 as that is the price range I consider in my plans.
Old 21-06-2010, 04:17   #35
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
. Near as I can tell they hold thier valve BETTER that the semi-custom boats
Of course. Ask any share broker what an illiquid stock is.
For an investment you market must have liquidity i.e lots of boats of one type being bought and sold. It also means you have a better selection and know what the correct price to buy

...and what you can sell for

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 21-06-2010, 04:48   #36
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
My brother bought a 46 hunter. He ran on a bar on a falling tide and ended up laying in its side. Afterwards the joinery was so messed up you could stick a finger through a few places. I suspect that a couple of the glue joints that hold the liner to the hull failed. We counted 12 leaks during a hard rain at tabernacle hatches and somewhere from cockpit. When he went to change stinky head hoses he found out it required cutting numerous holes in the liner. The boat creaks and flexes in 1-2' seas at anchor. It is roomy and comfortable and looks great inside. Sails upwind well but not so hot downwind. with the small keel area and limited angle of the boom accidental gybes are common. The boat is at its best at the dock as a floating condo as long as its not raining
Old 21-06-2010, 05:28   #37

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Don
Just checked the entry for this years BaHa, HaHa..........out of the 109 boats listed thus far, Catalina, Beneteau, and Hunter are the top entries..
23 boats of these brand boats, regestered to do multi day cruising.. thats almost 25% of the boats.. 6 of them are Hunters...
Most of the crap you'll hear about hunters being bad is comming from those that are setting comfortable in their armchair and dont know what cruising is except for what they read in someones book....
Never heard of one sinking, or breaking apart for that matter......
Randy - your last two points are not right.

Only SOME of the positive comments about Hunters have come from those who have practical experience whilst ALL the less than positives have given of direct practical experiences. I do not think they are armchair opinions, to me they are facts being presented to Don so he can find out 'what he is missing'.

But from Dons reactions to the facts, it sounds to me like he is already 100% convinced this is the boat for him so we'll have to all wish him all the best if he buys one. Don asked for feedback - he's got it - he can take or ignore each bit as best suits him.

But Randy, if you've never heard of one sinking or breaking apart you are either not reading all the posts or bothering to keep your eyes or ears open when on the water.

If so you'd have been aware over 15 Hunters have dropped their rudders and at least one 46 was scuttled half way across the Atlantic when part of an ARC fleet inside the last five years.

Enjoy your further research.

JOHN
Old 21-06-2010, 07:02   #38

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post

If so you'd have been aware over 15 Hunters have dropped their rudders and at least one 46 was scuttled half way across the Atlantic when part of an ARC fleet inside the last five years.

JOHN
not saying your wrong, because your in that part of the world, you may have more info, BUT, I'd reall like to see the proof..... where did you get the info........
Old 21-06-2010, 08:03   #39

A brand new Hunter 45DS was launched at our marina. The second it hit the water it started to sink. Seems the keel was leaking like a sieve at the hull joint. Take from this what you will....

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 21-06-2010, 08:39   #40
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
I found this boat just after Hurricane Ike. You can see what was left of the marina in the background. It is a 1982 Cherubini Hunter 36.

She is a dry boat, and sails nicely. I almost didn't buy it because of what I have read about Hunters (like in this thread), but very happy I did. She had been well cared for and is still floating after 28 years, and will soon see the Caribbean unless the rudder falls off and she sinks first.

Old 21-06-2010, 09:05   #41
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
1982 Cherubini Hunter 36 is a different breed. So are Bennie Firsts 1980's

The problem with Hunters and Bennies is that certain stallion's and years are great, and others are piss poor disaster boxes, and I have no idea how you determine which are best and which are worse since they churn out tons of designs with crypic numeric names. There is no buyers guide out there, so you end up being suspicious of the whole lot because of all the horror stories that pop up, and you go with more consistent manufacturers.
Old 21-06-2010, 09:23   #42
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
A bunch of boats have lost rudders during the ARC. There was a Hunter 450 (not a 46) in 2003, a Contest 48 and a Bavaria 35 both in 2006, and a one-off Joubert Nivelt 53 design in 2009. There have perhaps been more.

Yacht designer Andrew Simpson, in an article on the Hydrovane website (Self Steering Hydrovane Selfsteer) lists a number of boats that have lost rudders, including: a Hanse 371, a Catalina 42, J44, Wylie 38, Hunter 466, 4 Cal 39s, an Excalibur 36, a Rival 38, a Dehler 34, 2 Trident 24s, "various Westerlies and some earlier Moodys."

To claim that this is a Hunter problem is a bit specious. Hunter had adopted a carbon-fiber rudder shaft on its 466 line, and after two boats lost those rudders, even though the engineers claimed that the carbon shaft should actually be stronger, switched to stainless-steel rudders on those boats. This is hardly an epidemic of mechanical failures, especially considering the number of Hunters out there sailing.

The claim that "over 15 Hunters have dropped their rudders," needs support, at best. I know of three instances, all of which were well publicized. (And I personally know two of the owners who lost those rudders, and both continue to cruise Hunter yachts.) So where did those other 12 come from? Urban mythology?
Old 21-06-2010, 09:28   #43

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
1982 Cherubini Hunter 36 is a different breed. So are Bennie Firsts 1980's

The problem with Hunters and Bennies is that certain stallion's and years are great, and others are piss poor disaster boxes, and I have no idea how you determine which are best and which are worse since they churn out tons of designs with crypic numeric names. There is no buyers guide out there, so you end up being suspicious of the whole lot because of all the horror stories that pop up, and you go with more consistent manufacturers.
Spot on.

Research, research, research including factual feedback will usually see most reach a satisfactory result.

IMHO that's the benefit of this site allowing us all to share what we know with others - and to learn even more from them.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 21-06-2010, 09:56   #44

I listed ONLY my personal experiences about specific Hunters. Also I think for their correct PURPOSE they are just fine. I continue to say the two that I personally know of I would refuse to take off shore. Offshore is a very unforgiving place to be. Only specific boats from any manufacturer should considered. Keyboard commandos will say "Hunter's are just fine offshore". Which Hunter? A 23? Do what you want. I really could care less ( the gene pool will take care of it). Ken
Old 21-06-2010, 09:57   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
I have a 24-foot Hunter. They cut some corners building it, sure. I've fixed all of those cut corners inexpensively and easily. Is that frustrating? Sure, but overall the boat is PERFECT for the sailing I am able to do, right now. And my marina buddies undertand that, too. They are all in lust with my little Hunter and admit it, even the guys with the "bigger, better" boats. When it's time to head to the Big Blue, I'll make different choices, I think, but "Hunters" are a fine choice under the right circumstances.
THIS GUY GETS IT. Ken
Closed Thread

Tags
hunter