Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2014, 23:04   #1

Boat: between boats
Turkey most expensive in Europe

In case you were wondering -

We have cruised the med from Spain through France, Italy, Croatia Greece and now turkey past 3 summers and until now the most expensive night in a marina berth quoted had been Dubrovnik in Croatia at a pretty hefty 130 euro per night for our 12m cat.

Well move over Dubrovnik and welcome Bodrum marina to top of our pops with a hefty 180 euro plus water plus power plus wifi. According to them thats pretty much in line with other turkish marinas this year. Far more than places like Venice, French riviera, beleriacs and sardinia - the traditionally pretty expensive places to take a berth. We were pretty surprised so just in case you thought otherwise too thats the story this year.

Dont get me wrong - Turkey is still a great place to cruise and still relatively cheap everywhere except the marinas and yards but the constant 30 odd % yearly prices rises are really starting to bite if you use marinas (and with the pump out laws you do have to visit from time to time)

cheers
barra
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 04:02   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Turkey most expensive in Europe

Well the Med is sounding less expensive than I expected since that price would be fairly normal for the NE USA.

On the other hand it gives me hope to know the rest of the world must be less.
Old 24-06-2014, 04:27   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well the Med is sounding less expensive than I expected since that price would be fairly normal for the NE USA.

On the other hand it gives me hope to know the rest of the world must be less.

It makes roughly 250 USD per night for 12 meter boat, water, electricity, wi-fi etc. not included. Just a berth. Didn't expect US marinas are so expensive...
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 04:27   #4

...that 's hefty, they calculate on square meter base of 1,85Euro/day
Gib on the other hand is quite cheaper...they only add 50% on meter base for Multis.
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 04:33   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
It makes roughly 250 USD per night for 12 meter boat, water, electricity, wi-fi etc. not included. Just a berth. Didn't expect US marinas are so expensive...
well my online calculator said that 130 EURO was $177 US, if you say it is $250 all bets are off
Old 24-06-2014, 04:55   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
well my online calculator said that 130 EURO was $177 US, if you say it is $250 all bets are off

130 was cited in OP for Dubrovnik (most expensive in Croatia)
Bodrum (Turkey) was 180 Euro (X 1,37 it's close to 250 USD) water, power and wi-fi not included.

Anyway - US marinas are not cheap, I understand
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 05:34   #7

Don't worry about cruising the US east coast, $177-250 translates to around $4.50-6.50/ft. Unless you are in truely prime location (aka manhantten) prices are usually much lower.

$2-3/ft is much more common and if you shop around $1-1.50 isn't uncommon (though it typically won't be in a prime location).
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 06:44   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
In case you were wondering -

We have cruised the med from Spain through France, Italy, Croatia Greece and now turkey past 3 summers and until now the most expensive night in a marina berth quoted had been Dubrovnik in Croatia at a pretty hefty 130 euro per night for our 12m cat.

Well move over Dubrovnik and welcome Bodrum marina to top of our pops with a hefty 180 euro plus water plus power plus wifi. According to them thats pretty much in line with other turkish marinas this year. Far more than places like Venice, French riviera, beleriacs and sardinia - the traditionally pretty expensive places to take a berth. We were pretty surprised so just in case you thought otherwise too thats the story this year.

Dont get me wrong - Turkey is still a great place to cruise and still relatively cheap everywhere except the marinas and yards but the constant 30 odd % yearly prices rises are really starting to bite if you use marinas (and with the pump out laws you do have to visit from time to time)

cheers
barra
You didn't mention, but I assume you are talking about Bodrum Milta marina. This is probably the most expensive one in Turkey; you simply sail 10 nm to the west to Turgut Reis, you'd pay 30-40 % less, 5 nm further up up, another 10 % less in Yalıkavak.
Milta is in the middle of the city and has a lot of request from people (mostly local motor yachts) who are ready to pay whatever price they are asked. If this is what you wanted, you pay for it, otherwise, you simply stay away..
Turgut Reis or Yalıkavak is 45-50 min drive to the center, that's why they are cheaper..

You may find similar prices in some marinas in Göçek, so now you are warned, pls check the prices upfront..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 08:19   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Turkey has come a long way from the good old days of 7 euro at night at Yatmarin.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 08:26   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Turkey has come a long way from the good old days of 7 euro at night at Yatmarin.
A very long way , I was in Gocek last year, wow big difference from 15 years ago.

dave
Old 24-06-2014, 08:37   #11

Boat: between boats

Thanks yeloya that's good to know we have seen the worst early on. We didnt stay - just pumped out for 20 euro ( what a rort!) And left for cokertme for free restaurant berth that night☺

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 11:23   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

We've just enquired about marina prices for a 14.6m monohull for one week in the Marmaris area. Prices varied from €590 in Netsel(!) to €210 in Yat Marin, but on the outside of their wave break pontoon! Water and electricity extra in both places. We've found a lovely hotel that will do a deal much cheaper and allow us to use all facilities included.
Old 24-06-2014, 11:33   #13

Yup, prices at marinas just keep going up in Turkey although everything else is cheap. Winter rates are still OK but the best bet is to head to Greece sometime in June as Turkey is no longer the cheap seats!
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 11:49   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
130 was cited in OP for Dubrovnik (most expensive in Croatia)
Bodrum (Turkey) was 180 Euro (X 1,37 it's close to 250 USD) water, power and wi-fi not included.

Anyway - US marinas are not cheap, I understand
Depends. Prices are hugely different from area to area in the USA. My boat is +/- 13 Meters. The cheapest I could find in New England (that is the area north of New York up to Maine in case you are not familiar with the term) was $125/night plus water and electric. In north Florida I have found marinas as cheap as $400/month.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 12:25   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Depends. Prices are hugely different from area to area in the USA. My boat is +/- 13 Meters. The cheapest I could find in New England (that is the area north of New York up to Maine in case you are not familiar with the term) was $125/night plus water and electric. In north Florida I have found marinas as cheap as $400/month.
St. Petersburg, FL municipal marina rates are competitive. My 30 footer as a non-resident of St. Pete's was 386/month. You are a block off great restaurants, 2 blocks from the Dali museum, and lots of quirky shops and bars. That part of St. Pete's has quickly become my favorite area in the Tampa Bay area.

Our Rates

I'm shocked to read the prices in the eastern Med. I can see it being a significant disincentive for many.

Tags
Europe, rope, Turkey