Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2017, 11:39   #1

Gulfstar 50 Center Cockpit Ketch

Greetings, we have posted this boat on eBay and are auctioning her over the next 5 days. Today is 1/9/17. We bought Tadita to cruise the Caribbean as a family of 5 and are currently living aboard.

Please be kind, we are new to sailing!

Here is your chance to own a true top 10 world cruiser at a great price!! Our loss is your gain! We have chosen this method to sell Tadita to expedite time frames. Happy bidding, this is a great opportunity to get into a Gulfstar 50 for a reasonable price and sail the world in style and safety! Cruise it, charter it or just live aboard. They certainly do not make them like this anymore. If you are seriously interested then I can email you lots of pictures! If you would like to see something specific, please specify.
Tadita is U.S Coast Guard Documented and transfer to the new buyer is simple. Also because she is Documented, the buyer needs to pay no sales tax!! Or you could register her in a state if you wish.
The info below is boiler plate from the internet. Skip down if you already know how awesome a Gulfstar 50 is!

Gulfstar Yachts was founded in 1970 by Vince Lazzara, an industry pioneer who in the early 1950s helped make a success of Aeromarine, one of the very first fiberglass boatbuilders. In the early 1960s he did the same at Columbia Yachts, which became the world’s biggest sailboat builder in its day. Early on Gulfstar emphasized low price and maximum interior space over build quality and sailing ability, but in the mid-1970s the company shifted gears and worked to deliver a more high-end product. The most notable manifestation of this was the Gulfstar 50, a large center-cockpit cruiser first introduced in 1975. The GS 50 was the best boat Gulfstar ever built and also the most popular, with 172 hulls launched during a six-year production run that ended in 1980. Designed by Lazzara himself, the GS 50 boasts superior interior joinery, generous accommodations, robust construction, and a well proportioned hull and rig. These days it is one of the best values on the brokerage market in a larger center-cockpit boat.
For most owners the boat’s most attractive feature is its interior. The more popular layout, originally developed for the charter trade, features three staterooms and works very well for families. The master stateroom aft with an en suite head and separate shower boasts an enormous U-shaped double berth with enough space for a couple to sleep together athwartship while in harbor or separately in lateral positions while at sea. The forward stateroom, which shares a head with the saloon, has a large V-berth that fills in to form a double, and the third stateroom, midship to starboard, has two single bunks with yet another small en suite head. The L-shaped galley runs down the walk-through alley under the center cockpit to port, with twin sinks close enough to the centerline to drain on either tack. The saloon has a dinette to port and a settee plus a pilot berth to starboard. In the two-stateroom layout, which is more appropriate for a cruising couple entertaining occasional guests, instead of the midship stateroom there is a fabulous wrap-around nav station and expanded engine space beneath the cockpit.
In a seaway the GS 50 is very well mannered. Its forefoot has enough bite and its bilges are deep enough that it does not slam much in a chop. It is relatively narrow with a moderate hull form and does not gripe when sailing to weather. All tanks are below the floorboards, which keeps the center of gravity low, sweetens the motion, and also creates extra storage space under berths and settees.
Still, the GS 50 is not exactly a slouch when it comes to speed, though it does like moderate to heavy weather better than the light stuff. It’s not hard to keep the boat moving at 7 knots or better under working sail if the wind is blowing over 12 knots; below that you’ll need to break out spinnakers and mizzen staysails to maintain good speed.
Here is the history of Tadita as we know it; in 2009, and older couple in their 70’s cruised Tadita full time. Tadita just had new rigging and other upgrades when somebody left an electric blanket on in the center cabin. It caught on fire and doing some damage in the center cabin and then was extinguished. The blanket was tossed into the cockpit where it apparently caught back on fire and burned the mainsail and boom. Melting plastic fell on deck made a big mess. The boat was covered by insurance and the owners moved on. Taditas decks and cockpit were professionally repaired, the decks completely repainted with some fancy epoxy paint and at some point new antiskid which is still in perfect condition. Tadita has very nice decks due to this! The masts were removed as part of the process, and was purchased in this condition at an auction by the previous owner with the intention of restoring her to 100+% and chartering her in the Bay area. The masts were sand blasted, repainted and re installed with new mast steps! Masts have all new wire, High end halyards, deck lighting and Ray marine wind gear. The Standing rigging is High end new in 2009 and a local Rigger says they look good and have at least 4 more years!
Tadita was worked on slowly. The owner then moved to the east coast and the brother lived on her for two years. She was moved to Paradise Cay Harbor and Marina for the last 9 months where she could be properly tended to. Her Engine (Perkins 65 HP) was maintenance by a local professional mechanic (new starter, 120 Amp Alternator, glow plugs, cooling system totally cleaned, new impeller, the motor scrubbed and painted and more. More info below *) and The Westbrooke Generator was completely overhauled including rings, valve job, bottom end bearings etc. with a new custom mount as well. (I will give the buyer the Mechanics contact info) For $40 an hour the mechanic will walk you through the engine and generator systems. I highly recommend this so you know the proper function and can ask lot’s of questions like I did!
We purchased Tadita as a family cruising venture to take south to cruise the Caribbean as she was meant to do! I am a professional handyman (with recommendations) and I have spent 210 hours (actual working fast hours) bridging the gap between Tadita sitting and being ready to finish rigging and sail. My life is filled with fixing things and this is where we as a family of 5 have decided that what daddy really needs is a proper vacation where I don’t fix things! ( I confess, 5 years with no vacation is going to make me pop) This is where you come in and why we are parting ways with Tadita. Our time with Tadita has thus been to save her life and prepare her for her new owner who will undoubtedly take her on a sailing adventure as she is meant to be free!! We are pricing her to sell immediately and go on a much needed family vacation! Daddy needs some rest!
There are no electronics with the exception of the Raymarine wind gear that is brand new with the gauge and instructions still in the box. This is not a negative. If you are considering buying a boat with dated electronics then you will likely replace them. Technology has come so far that for a couple grand, you can buy all in one systems that mount to the pedestal including Radar, chart plotter (charts) depth, speed wind…etc. All in one, plug and play! You can also wifi them to a tablet for down below! Why pay for somebody’s old gear!?! Add the auto pilot for a bit more. Sounders can be installed in the water with the help of the local diver!
The Sails;
Great Genoa made by Hasse & Company in Port Townsed. Has Sunbrella cover and was just freshened up by Local Legends, Hood sail makers in the Bay area! Spinnaker has crossed the Atlantic 5 times was donated by a Local US Sailing guy. Forward Staysail (storm sail) also freshened up By Hood Sail makers! Nice Main sail purchased used from Hood sail makers is Full baton (new Batons) totally freshened up, fit for size and is included with Brand New Tides Marine Strong Track which is ordered (still waiting). This is all paid for and if the New track is not yet in, can all be verified by Vicky at Hood Sails (She is 30 year sail maker with her Husband Robin who have an outstanding reputation!) Tadita still needs a mizzen sail but talk to Vicky at Hood sails, Sausalito CA right down the road and that sail is a common size sail that can be found for around $400.
Engine;
*Perkins 65 horse runs perfect and is showing 3713 hours on the timer. The Mechanic informs me that the switch may have been left on leaving the counter running and probably has half that many hours.(he would know better than me) Either way she runs perfect, transmission is bullet proof with no vibration or shifting issues! Prop is folding style. Also the mechanic says these motors will regularly run 10,000 hours +. The Generator is showing 95 hours on the counter and runs perfect as well.
Bottom;
Bottom Scrubbed in April by local diver. No blisters found, paint still had life and Zincs present. Needs another scrub and would replace the zincs. Local diver charges $100 to scrub and inspect plus the Zincs. Just waiting for a clear water day for visibility.
The refrigeration is factory and worked nicely until we tripped a breaker. I don’t know anything about refrigeration and we (family of 5 living on board) have been successfully using the deep fridge as an ice box! Might be a simple fix? Upgrade to a new low voltage fridge or get ice!

Perkins 65 horse is in top shape, runs perfect & was professionally tuned.
• Westbrooke Generator is totally rebuilt with 95 hours showing and runs perfect.
Transmission is perfect, no slip, no vibrations.
• Folding prop
• Refrigeration is factory and has worked flawlessly until we tripped a breaker. Could be simple fix. I know nothing of refrigeration. Makes a stellar Ice box. Has a Separate freezer!
• Masts removed, sand blasted, repainted with new mast steps! Masts have all new wire, High end halyards, deck lighting and Raymarine wind gear
• Standing rigging is High end new in 2009. Rigger says they look perfect and have at least 4 more years!
• HRO Systems water maker 16 GPH? Water maker currently is pickled (properly stored when not in use) instructions are on the boat
• There are 8 winches. 2 Lewmar 58 Genoa winches with strippers and new tops (new tops not shown). Lewmar mainsheet winch with stripper arm not shown
• New Edson Pedestal including all new throttle and shifting cables. Steering is Hydraulic and has the servo motor for the Auto Pilot already installed! New cockpit engine Gauges
• Schaefer 3000 furler was new in 2009 and has not been used.
• Tadita has Two fuel tanks (forward and aft) instead of one and her water storage is believed to be 150 -200 gallon. Mechanic informs me that the forward tank needs a new fuel line.
• Nice newer Windless with new Foot Switches
• Newer Salon Upholstery!
• Brand new foam mattress in Aft Stateroom and new futon mattress in center Stateroom both in new protective mattress covers.
• Factory Air conditioning in Forward V berth, Aft Stateroom and Salon (system is whole but function unknown)
• Danforth Davits are super sturdy, 2007, 10ft Walker hard bottom Inflatable Dinghy (needs clean up) with Nissan 12 horse with rebuilt carburetor runs awesome!
• Anchors;
1. CQR Made in Scotland 60lb. On the Bow, lots of chain and line total over 300ft looks barely used.
2. Danforth Stern anchor
3. Big Fortress mud anchor
• Not shown in the pictures; dinghy, Nissan motor, 6 Person deck mounted emergency inflatable life raft and Stainless Dodger Frame with a nice grab rail! Most don’t have that I’m told. These are in a storage unit and will be with the boat at the time of purchase. We will provide pictures of these things before the bidding is over.
• 3 new life jackets
• Gunwale nicely resealed! (quality job)
• Nice Radar mounts on Mizzen with string in place to pull the new wire.
• Bottom Scrubbed in April by local diver. No blisters found, paint still had life and Zincs present. Needs another scrub and would replace the zincs. Local diver charges $100 to scrub and inspect plus the Zincs. Just waiting for a clear water day for visibility.

Tadita needs to be finish rigged (all parts can be found locally new or used depending on budget). Any boat needs this and that regularly. Tadita is no exception. She needs a few interior lights and I would recommend upgrading as you can to LED. I purchased a nice red LED for the cockpit and some other bulbs. I have also included a bunch of brand new tools including a set of power tools (cordless drill, cordless skill saw, cordless reciprocating saw, new Grinder). I have spent $1000 in tools in the last 5 weeks that all go with the boat! There are also project supplies as well. A small portion of the head liner in the aft cabin will need to be addressed after the Traveler is installed.
Tadita is located at Paradise Cay harbor and marina in Tibburon Ca on the bay! This is a super nice and safe area where you can live aboard and work on her there. Marina has bathrooms and showers as well!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	139263   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	139264  

Click image for larger version

Name:	41.jpg