Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2016, 23:30   #1

Ocean worthy boats in the Caribbean

Hi there!
I'm heading over with my partner to Trinidad in few weeks in order to buy a sail boat.
Looking to get a monohull, something between 30'-34'.
Needs to be suitable for blue water as am aiming to cross the Pacific with it.
Our budget is at the lower end of the scale...
We'll appreciate any tips on what to look for; equipment, preferred keel, displacement, draft, and as important -where to find the right boat.
Anybody who knows about someone who is looking to sell his/hers boat to go to a good and adventurist home- We're it!

Cheers!
JBas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 03:02   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Ocean worthy boats in the Caribbean

why Trinidad? If I were looking for a trans Pacific boat, i'd be looking in So Cal or the SF area, not Trinidad.

Jim
Old 30-10-2016, 04:57   #3

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Lot's of sailboats for sale in Mexico. Sailboats for sale in Mexico
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 13:26   #4

Hi Jim I'm going to be sailing in the caribbean first hence flying into Trinidad, we don't have to purchase a yacht there but it will be the first place we look. Getting a US visa will be very difficult so purchasing something in the states is off the cards. Thanks for the link landsend know of any others I haven't had much luck looking online for boats in the area.

Thanks
Old 30-10-2016, 13:34   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

JBAS,
The following is offered in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you.

When asking a forum to suggest boats, it is a good idea to be specific with the MAXIMUM ASKING Price you will consider. That helps others focus on what is possible for you to afford.

So, post what your Maxiumum Asking Price (MAP) in US Dollars is and see what happens. Also, it helps if you post some list of the makes or brands and size or models of boats you DO like and find attractive. That will help focus attention and exclude things that would waste the time of others and you.

Hope these suggestions help. Good luck on your boat search!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 20:30   #6

Hi I mentioned I need something in the 30-34" range and also that it needs to be ocean worthy and asked about advice on displacement etc. I did leave out the budget we are looking to spend up to $25,000 for the right boat ideally around the $20,000 mark or less. We don't have anything specific in mind so open to advice would like to be pointed in the direction or some yachts.

Thanks
Old 30-10-2016, 21:07   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBas View Post
Hi I mentioned I need something in the 30-34" range and also that it needs to be ocean worthy and asked about advice on displacement etc. I did leave out the budget we are looking to spend up to $25,000 for the right boat ideally around the $20,000 mark or less. We don't have anything specific in mind so open to advice would like to be pointed in the direction or some yachts.

Thanks
That is not a big budget.
To get an idea of kinds of boats you might find at that price point, you could look at the thread on CF monohull forum called "Boats Less Than $30K." Most of those will be older boats, most built in 1980 or so and most needing some refitting. There are some real "deals" out there, but since you said you cannot buy in the USA, you might just look at the brands and models to give you some sense of boats of that level and condition.

I have looked at boats in the Caribbean and Mexico and the ones at the lower price level you mention look very tired and in need of a lot of work or refitting ($$$).

Good luck on your search.
Old 30-10-2016, 22:00   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:

Thanks
Don't worry about it...You're doing just fine. You will find what you're looking for eventually. There is a beautiful Endurance 35 right now that came on the market last year here in Guaymas. The owner worked at the Endurance factory in B.C. Canada and customized his own boat. An excellent job I'll add. They started at $44K, had an offer below $38K I think and fell through, so it could be had for maybe $35K if you could justify it. A Cal 34 would be a good candidate. Here is an excerpt from my blog on good older boats for sale. I hope it helps. Adventures of Joli' Elle: What you really need to go cruising Or Is this love or boat envy
Beware of advice coming from this forum. Although most is "friendly advice" it can be misleading at the minimum. There are lots of dreamers here who claim to be looking for a boat year after year after year. Others go off hap-haphazardly and buy disasters. But if you ask questions (as you are), do your research and read all you can while using your S#!t detector, chances are you'll find your little vessel. Fair winds.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 22:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
That is not a big budget.
To get an idea of kinds of boats you might find at that price point, you could look at the thread on CF monohull forum called "Boats Less Than $30K." Most of those will be older boats, most built in 1980 or so and most needing some refitting. There are some real "deals" out there, but since you said you cannot buy in the USA, you might just look at the brands and models to give you some sense of boats of that level and condition.

I have looked at boats in the Caribbean and Mexico and the ones at the lower price level you mention look very tired and in need of a lot of work or refitting ($$$).

Good luck on your search.

I've been lurking on the on the site for some time now I came across your post a few weeks back very informative unfortunately nothing posted recently. I understand what my money will buy me I have realistic expectations. I've seen a few online which have had recently reconditioned engines and new rigging for around my budget. But sellers can say anything online. I'll keep researching brands/models.

If you come across any good deals please let me know

Thanks
Old 30-10-2016, 22:56   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I've been lurking on the on the site for some time now I came across your post a few weeks back very informative unfortunately nothing posted recently. I understand what my money will buy me I have realistic expectations. I've seen a few online which have had recently reconditioned engines and new rigging for around my budget. But sellers can say anything online. I'll keep researching brands/models.

If you come across any good deals please let me know

Thanks
I have posted several boats this last few days. Look again.
Old 31-10-2016, 10:29   #11

Boat: Freedom 45

there is a decent Pearson 424 here for 20K
seaman-lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 11:29   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:

Thanks
Good luck. What are your means of income during this adventure?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 12:20   #13
Marine Service Provider

We currently have four boats listed for $40,000 or less here in Grenada. Maybe one or two that could be had for $20 - $25,000. You just need to understand that boats at that price point are almost guaranteed to need work. You can email me at Chris@LTDsailing.com if you would like more information on the boats we have listed.
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 12:26   #14

You may already know this but if not,
Boats for Sale - New and Used Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com
let's you shop by country.

Another source is,
www.sailboatlistings.com
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 13:08   #15

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Hi there!
I'm heading over with my partner to Trinidad in few weeks in order to buy a sail boat.
Looking to get a monohull, something between 30'-34'.
Needs to be suitable for blue water as am aiming to cross the Pacific with it.
Our budget is at the lower end of the scale...
We'll appreciate any tips on what to look for; equipment, preferred keel, displacement, draft, and as important -where to find the right boat.
Anybody who knows about someone who is looking to sell his/hers boat to go to a good and adventurist home- We're it!
Cheers!
I think you're between a rock and hard place. Finding a boat for $25,000 that will take you safely across the Pacific is going to be a huge challenge unless you're extremely knowledgeable about boat construction, mechanical and electrical systems, rigging, etc. You could buy a boat for $25,000 and find out that it needs another $10k or a lot more to make it capable of that voyage. Or you could buy a $10k boat and put $15k into it to make it ready, if you knew what you were doing. But you're not in a position to do either, from the sound of it, if you're asking for basic advice like type of keel, draft, etc.

I would be very wary of spending that kind of money, in Trinidad, unless you have someone with you that you trust, at your side, who is suitably knowledgeable. The last thing you want to do is blow your budget on a boat that can't do what you want.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib