Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2018, 08:12   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Molenmaker Dutch steel gaff-rigged ketch
Florida to Guatemala: 97-foot gaff-rigged ketch

International Rescue Group's 97-foot boat has sailed 7,000 nautical miles and conducted 8 humanitarian aid and disaster relief operations in the Caribbean in over 4 years, supporting dozens of other yachts in the region with volunteers and supplies. Now IRG plans to re-fit for a new mission to set up operations in Asia, based in the Philippines.

Looking for volunteers to voyage to Guatemala and help re-fit our yacht, if you'd like some experience in a marine yard on hull steel, wooden rig, electronics and painting etc., come and join us! There are comfortable cabins available, the weather's great (not hot!) and we have lots of work to do here in Florida before sailing and Guatemala for re-fit. Chief Engineer Shawn Sweetman is already aboard, looking for 2 or more crew prior to departure.

Looking hard at possible excellent weather window Monday/Tuesday February 26/27th.

REFIT LOCATION

ABEL's at Rio Dulce Guatemala is where we can continue to live on the boat and do DIY work, we'll use the Yard for the heavy work such as pulling the propshaft, repaint the bottom with anti-foulant etc. We will do various jobs like grinding, welding and re-priming steel where there is corrosion, taking of some old machinery, refresh the electronics and Nav, install a radar, do some sail repair and rig work etc.. NOTE that our main engine is being replaced in Guatemala, we will be using auxillary propulsion to exit our anchorage in Florida, sail all the way in the easterly tradewinds, and arranging a tugboat to take us to the shipyard. You must be comfortable with the idea that this is a sailboat, if the wind dies enroute we will simply await the wind to return. Please think carefully about this, some people react badly to being offshore becalmed for more than a few hours, if so this may not be the voyage for you. If you wish to truly hone your sailing skills, you will learn a lot.

ITINERARY

Note that this can be delayed for various reasons, this is the best stab at timing. Volunteers who have hard stops may not find this yoyage suitable.

Feb 2017 Preparing ship for voyage while coordinating disaster relief boats and supplies destined for Puerto Rico, BVI and Dominica
Feb 26th 2018 (Weather permitting) Voyage from Hollywood, Florida to shipyard in Guatemala
March-May 2018 Haul-out and block for 3 months. Crew may stay aboard in their own berth and help with re-fit of the yacht on many projects, food will be provided
June 2018 Launch and shakedown sail in Caribbean Panama region. Transit Panama Canal into the Pacific and tour the Gulf of Panama and Las Perlas islands on a humanitarian aid mission
July 2018 Voyage to South Pacific and on to South China Seas, to establish an IRG base in the Philippines approx November 2018.
NOTE the hurricane season in the South Pacific ends 31st April, we will quickly transit from Panama to the Galapagos s and enter the southeast trade winds headed for Marquesas Islands. Preliminary planning for the Pacific section are: Panama, Las Perlas, Galapagos (ONLY if funds become available via crew), Marquesas Islands and other stops to Papua New Guinea, then into the South China Seas.

Volunteers who join and support work in Florida gain priority for a cabin to the South China Seas. During voyaging volunteer crews share the cost of the voyage at $20 per day each which includes all food, consumables etc. Those volunteers who join the work on the vessel in Florida and Central America have a cabin of their own and food during the land work.

Capt. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 15:16   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook
Re: Florida to Guatemala: 97-foot gaff-rigged ketch

Great post with tons of info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Ray View Post
During voyaging volunteer crews share the cost of the voyage at $20 per day each which includes all food, consumables etc.
But... Shouldn't this be in the Commercial Posts area?
CharlesFCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 19:29   #3
Marine Service Provider

No. Expenses sharing is not considered a commercial enterprise. Further, IRG is a registered charity organization (NGO) with all unpaid volunteer management and crews and we do not spend donations on moving our vessels, the only possible way we can make this happen is if people who join our crew help by contributing. This is generally accepted as normal in nonprofits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesFCook View Post
Great post with tons of info...

But... Shouldn't this be in the Commercial Posts area?
Old 23-02-2018, 08:52   #4

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

If I had the free time, I'd give them a call, and get a good sense for it.

Could be a neat experience, tropical environment, and a lot of time at sea. Plus, meet a lot of new people. What's missing?
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 09:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesFCook View Post
Is it just me or is something missing?
yes, but it has to do with your post's, not his.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 09:32   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
yes, but it has to do with your post's, not his.
They were not my posts.
CharlesFCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 09:55   #7

Boat: catalina 28

Even us old guys who might be able to afford it need more lead in time. Really sounds interesting and like something I would like to do. Good luck and fair winds. PS Being becalmed in the Caribbean is not so bad. Beautiful night sky!
cestrickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 10:23   #8
Marine Service Provider

It's a pretty cheap experience frankly - assume a passage of 10 days then our leg from Florida to Guatemala is only a contribution to food etc. of $200... we'd like to cover that too for our crew but we're a nonprofit and cannot justify spending donations on a non disaster mission voyage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cestrickler View Post
Even us old guys who might be able to afford it need more lead in time. Really sounds interesting and like something I would like to do. Good luck and fair winds. PS Being becalmed in the Caribbean is not so bad. Beautiful night sky!
Old 23-02-2018, 10:45   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Capt Ray.

What follows is written in a truly friendly tone of voice, and with the sole intent to help you.

Since your boat is doing humanitarian missions of some kind, please post a link to what those missions have done so far, and what you intend to do on your future cruising up Central America. I am sincerely interested in how your boat achieves your humanitarian missions, and each of the following questions is meant to help you and others understand more about your voyages.

Do you have a link to a page describing in detail what has been done for the recipients of your donations or work?

Do you have a page which describes future missions (goals, communities to be helped, etc.)?

Is the vessel or group supported by churches or a church or a religious group? Or what?

I think if you post some information like that here on CF (in this thread) it could help you get more interest in supporting your voyages.

Hope that helps, and Bon Voyage!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 11:11   #10
Marine Service Provider

All perfectly reasonable questions. In my base post I tried to put a link to our website or on another occasion a post describing IRG and what we do but was roundly slapped down by the moderators as "advertising". However, it's my understanding that I can place the link here in response to a direct question. Please refer to International Rescue Group - Coastal disaster relief and I think you'll find answers to most of your questions. Here is our 2016 Annual Report (we're still working on 2017): http://bit.ly/IRG2016AnnualReport, this helps describe past missions and how we have operated.

International Rescue Group is run by an entirely unpaid, volunteer mix of retired, veteran, sailor and high-tech people, and our three boats are donated. As everyone will know it is expensive to maintain boats but we get amazing help from manufacturers. An example is Fortress Anchors who have donated much-needed ground tackle (see ) over the last 5 years of support they have given us. Others in the marine industry have been amazing help, for example Voyage Yachts (http://www.voyageyachts.com); we were donated a Voyage 500 catamaran and they have taken our boat in and are re-fitting her for us, update here: Rendezvous Cay - International Rescue Group. It's taken years to build our credentials with these companies and many others on our Home Page, without them it would have been an even greater struggle on our shoestring budget.

Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Howdy Capt Ray.

What follows is written in a truly friendly tone of voice, and with the sole intent to help you.

Since your boat is doing humanitarian missions of some kind, please post a link to what those missions have done so far, and what you intend to do on your future cruising up Central America. I am sincerely interested in how your boat achieves your humanitarian missions, and each of the following questions is meant to help you and others understand more about your voyages.

Do you have a link to a page describing in detail what has been done for the recipients of your donations or work?

Do you have a page which describes future missions (goals, communities to be helped, etc.)?

Is the vessel or group supported by churches or a church or a religious group? Or what?

I think if you post some information like that here on CF (in this thread) it could help you get more interest in supporting your voyages.

Hope that helps, and Bon Voyage!
Old 23-02-2018, 12:05   #11

Boat: Union cutter 33

May be interested in meeting up with you in Central America I’m a welder by trade tig welder plus I have expierencec installing electronics having installed and setup B&G products on my own boat
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 09:26   #12

Boat: Looking for one.

Captain Ray,
I am interested and able to fly to Florida asap. My plan to be crew in Bahamas just fell through yesterday and I have no hard stops. How do we contact now?
Jan Marie
JanMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 10:09   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Captain Ray-
The US IRS has a search engine to confirm bona fide 501-c-3 groups. That search engine says your group is not registered with the IRS. Leaving the question of just where and who you are registered with as an NGO or charity?
And where is your boat flagged?
And again, when the USCG issued their ruling on cost-sharing back on the 90's, they said that if the folks on a boat were voluntarily contributing to costs, that wasn't commercial. But if they had a formal advance agreement, advance payment, and "voluntary" was "mandatory"...Sorry, but they left that open as a gray area. If you require monies in advance, that's commercial.
I'm aware that bonafide charitable groups offer "work-cations" where people pay money to participate in a program. But most of those don't involve per-diem costs of a boat.

I'm not casting aspersions here, just saying, there's some information that isn't appearing.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 12:51   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Thanks for the PM, Ray. Apparently the IRS got your e-filings in 2012/13/14 and they show nothing since, so you may want to ask them where the others filings have gone. They might have some issue with your group showing zero assets--but owning a 97' boat. Surely, that's an asset of SOME value?

I had a similar issue with a tax department. They sent out a nastygram about a month after the annual filing date, saying they had no returns from me for the past ten years and that I should show proof of filing them. I sent back a copy of the certified mail receipt from the return I had just filed two months before, and asked them "Does this mean you have suffered a server loss and lost everyone's records for the past decade? Or that you were hacked and just some of them were lost? Is this something the press would be interested in?" and oddly, somehow never heard anything further from them.

E-filings are great, but sometimes I prefer to burden them with paper, physical paper, and to get that USPS receipt instead of just a number in the aether.

I guess there are reasons why the JLA, League of Superheroes, and even Marvel don't have a "TAXMAN!" among the cast of characters.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 14:33   #15

Boat: Yawl,One of a Kind, 39 feet, Mare Nostrum
Send a message via Skype™ to Mare Nostrum

Capt., Best of luck on a great mission!!

Please keep us all posted on the progress!

Roberto
s/v Mare Nostrum
Acapulco
Mare Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, Guatemala, ketch