Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2018, 19:05   #1

Boat: Beneteau 321
Anchor Gel Coat Damage What To Do?

When I purchased my Beneteau 321 the gel coat was damaged from the anchor swinging against the bow. I have had no issue with the anchor creating further damage.
Should I repair the gel coat or is there a better repair that would prevent this from occurring again?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3904.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	163960
Plangstraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 21:10   #2

Boat: Bristol 41.1
Re: Anchor Gel Coat Damage What To Do?

redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 21:13   #3

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
+1

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 23:25   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

A guard as redsky suggests works great, hide the damage.
A simple method I do..
Use thin like 16-18 ga Stainless so you can form between dock planks and cut it yourself (safely) with a zip disc. Scratch the ss and scotchbrite the hull. Mask the perimeter, glue it down with bedding. Force it into place for the night with duct tape. No fasteners.
or park it stern in so you won't see it anymore.
Chris
Old 12-02-2018, 09:46   #5

Thanks Chris. What bedding compound would you suggest?
Old 12-02-2018, 09:49   #6

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

If you use a guard, I would first make sure the damage isn't into the GRP/fiberglass. If it is then you will need to use epoxy or something to prevent water from getting into the GRP.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 13:54   #7

If you don't mind the work boat look. You could seal and fill the gelcoat damage and attach thin strips of UHMW over it.

Capture.PNG bow protection.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG bow protection.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	164002  
northbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 14:09   #8

Have you had a quote for repair yet, that is a pretty simple and cheap repair to get done. Can be done in a work slip.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 14:49   #9

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plangstraat View Post
When I purchased my Beneteau 321 the gel coat was damaged from the anchor swinging against the bow. I have had no issue with the anchor creating further damage.
Should I repair the gel coat or is there a better repair that would prevent this from occurring again?
Attachment 163960
I had the same chips on my bow. Spectrum sells a gelcoat paste that matches your color by year and make of the boat. Easy to use because it has wax in it so don't have to cover it with wax paper or plastic wrap.
Drift Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 14:54   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

I use Sika 291 Lot white. Just do the perimeter in case it needs to come off (to make a bigger one, haha). Warm it with a heat gun and peel it. A swirl pattern with scotchbrite and boat wax once a year keeps it looking just fine.
I find UHMW to be unstable against UV and doesn't glue well without fasteners. ArmyDave is correct, a little epoxy or Interprotect couldn't hurt.
That repair is simple but not cheap, all relative I guess.
You are in Vic so go see the boys at Island Metal Craft, they will have little crops.
https://islandmetalcraft.ca/
I can also help you with that Bruce or Claw thingy, an EXCEL will fit and work much better. I live in Saanichton, I'll leave you one outside my front door for you to try.
Cheers, Chris
Old 12-02-2018, 17:54   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Woods-
Any promise by any one to match gel coat, without sending someone out to the boat or taking a sample before they mix it? Ain't gonna quite match. There are too many shades of white, and every boat discolors as it take UV damage and other factors. For instance, Pittsburgh Paint used to have 4000 shades of "red" and American LaFrance (builds fire trucks) has more than 50 different "fire engine red" colors. Red, white, no difference.
And there are repair guys, paint colorists, vinyl colorists, who actually can match it all. Their eyes are good enough and they know how to feather in paints.

But clapping a plate over it is a way more reliable durable solution.

I'd resist the temptation to use silicon, because it never cleans off completely. And not use 5200 because it is "forever". Not use 4200 because it is almost as good as that.(G)

I'd go for a fairly inexpensive adhesive caulk, white so any edge bleed was acceptable. There's enough surface area so it will stay bonded well (if it bonds to stainless) and if you need to claw it off sometime in the future...at least that's possible.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 18:39   #12

Boat: Catalina 270, 27 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Woods View Post
I had the same chips on my bow. Spectrum sells a gelcoat paste that matches your color by year and make of the boat. Easy to use because it has wax in it so don't have to cover it with wax paper or plastic wrap.
+1. I used patch paste to fix an anchor wound on my gelcoat. You can't tell the difference after the fix and I am by no means a pro.
Bawlmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 18:59   #13

Thanks for the replies. I've never done this type of repair so appreciate the input.
I'll epoxy the damage first.
Thanks Chris for the link to islandmetalcraft. I'll check in with them to see if they can make me a guard.
Old 12-02-2018, 19:07   #14

Gel coat repair kits are pretty handy. For my old boat I got a small can of gel coat. Not sure of the size, maybe a pint? I paired that up with some yellow pigment and had the entire thing ready for just these kind of little issues. Best of all is with a tiny, and I mean tiny bit of pigment you can get the color matched and then its really ready to go for any future bumps. Just save the color matched gel coat and the container of catalyst in a cool please and it will last for years.

Doing the work.
To prep the area, use some rough sand paper and score the damaged area. Wipe off with the area acetone. Mix the desired amount of gel coat with catalyst and apply with a tongue depressor or brush.

After it cures, sand smooth with finer and finer sand paper. I like to start with 220 I get down to 2000 grit with wet/dry paper. You can buff it to a shine after that.

Or pay a dock hand $50 - $100 to get it fixed. No judgments.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor