Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2017, 15:48   #1

First Charter in Croatia

We're thinking about doing a charter in Croatia next spring or fall. We're doing some land travel as well so the boat charter will only be 6 or 7 days and given it's likely only my wife and myself, we'd be looking to charter a 30 - 35 ft monohull. So, any recommended itineraries given this is a short trip? Better to charter out of Dubrovnik or should we look at Split or Trogir? Which islands/towns are "must-sees"? TIA

-Jim
jimp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 16:02   #2

Re: First Charter in Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp1234 View Post
We're thinking about doing a charter in Croatia next spring or fall. We're doing some land travel as well so the boat charter will only be 6 or 7 days and given it's likely only my wife and myself, we'd be looking to charter a 30 - 35 ft monohull. So, any recommended itineraries given this is a short trip? Better to charter out of Dubrovnik or should we look at Split or Trogir? Which islands/towns are "must-sees"? TIA

-Jim
Dubrovnik is probably too far for one week. I would recommend Trogir or Split. Places to visit: Split, Trogir, Vis, Korcula, Hvar...one week is pretty short ...what do you want to see inland? I would stretch your sailing time if possible: most interesting places are along the shore, except Pletvica and Zagreb
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 16:18   #3

We did a one way charter from Trogir to Dubrovnik in a week on a Lagoon 380, just the two of us. Had a great trip, loved the place and the islands, local wine, Dalmation bacon, local fare, saw most of the hot spots Viz, Hvar etc. If you go in shoulder season getting a mooring ball or stern to dock should not be difficult. If you want to anchor make sure the boat they give you has a decent anchor, we got a small danforth as our main anchor which was useless (I should have looked at the anchor before we left but were in a rush). The charter companies usually have a suggested itinerary.

Have fun
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 16:28   #4
cruiser

Dalmatian bacon is to die for, it’s worth making the trip just to taste the bacon. It’s too bad we can’t bring back 10 kilos of the stuff when we return to the US.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 16:48   #5

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Dalmatian bacon is to die for, it’s worth making the trip just to taste the bacon. It’s too bad we can’t bring back 10 kilos of the stuff when we return to the US.
please check your blood pressure.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 17:29   #6

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_sauvage View Post
Dubrovnik is probably too far for one week. I would recommend Trogir or Split. Places to visit: Split, Trogir, Vis, Korcula, Hvar...one week is pretty short ...what do you want to see inland? I would stretch your sailing time if possible: most interesting places are along the shore, except Pletvica and Zagreb

That is a great itinerary. We just did it in May...
Old 10-11-2017, 09:11   #7

Boat: Lagoon 450S

We did a 7 day charter in early May of this year out of Pula and this was a fantastic week. We chartered from Pitter. Pula itself is a great place to visit and the stops we did were fantastic. The water was a little cold that early in the season and we had some rain but overall it was a great experience.

Pula to Unije to Mail Losinj to IIvoik to Rovinj and back to Pula with some nice lunch stops in isolated coves.

All of these were fantastic stops with great sites and restaurants. Longest leg was from IIvoik to Rovinj which was about a 10 hour sail on a 46 Cat.

Gary
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:51   #8

Boat: Island Packet 32

What about the summer months? July through Sept.? Is stern to really required...it's not my favorite.
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRory View Post
What about the summer months? July through Sept.? Is stern to really required...it's not my favorite.
For sure, summer months will likely be busy. In early May for us everyplace we went was pretty empty. We did have a Croatian Skipper on board who really knew the ins and outs of all the places we went. Stern to docking was the norm everywhere but it wasn't that big of an issue. All the marinas we stayed at the harbor master would meet us and hand us the bow lines and take our stern lines. We never needed to drop the anchor except in the anchorages we stopped at.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:22   #10

Boat: Montevideo 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp1234 View Post

-Jim
Split or Trogir.Go to Sibenik see the world war 2 submarine caves.Then Miles up the river to Krka National park and the cascading falls.
Vodice also a nice marina. That is my 5 cents.
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 14:46   #11

Boat: Albin 25

Any recommended charter companies for a cat?
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 15:06   #12

Boat: Lagoon 52

Have a look to
Mare Yachting#
in Sibenik they have about 30 cats fore charter
herbert.dietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 15:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetrider View Post
Any recommended charter companies for a cat?
In Croatia? Pitter is likely the largest charter company there and has a variety of Cats in charter.

Gary
Old 10-11-2017, 18:18   #14

Boat: Beneteau, Cyclades 43.4

I just spend the last september and the 2 first weeks of octubre sailing in Croatia and Kotor, Montenegro. Mi my respect, the must aré Split, Trogir, Korcula and Dubrovnik. Lot of other nice places. Only 4 days with enough wind to sail properly. Don't miss octopus and lamb understand the bell.
Buen viaje
Jorge M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:19   #15

Boat: Moody 54

We did Split to Dubrovnikin a week with wise choice stops along the way. They assist you with stern to at every marina. Be sure to think about who has the helm and who will run the line from the marina wall to the boat. Might look fool for a video or watch it done first Dubrovnik is a solid two day visit. Walk the wall. ��
MamaKube is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, Croatia