Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2017, 21:48   #1

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Tales of the South Pacific

Another recent thread asked global cruisers their thoughts having actually set out and gone cruising. Rather than muck up that thread with my meanderings, I thought I'd start afresh.

For twenty years I have cruised the South Pacific, and to some extent, the North Pacific, as well as Asia. I've boated Hawai'i, Tonga, Fiji, Cook Islands Vanuatu, FP, Tuvalu, Marshall Islands, Palau, FSM, and Solomon Islands.

Note I said "boated". In fact, I have sailed many of those archipelagos- but never between them. Instead, I cruise with Air Fiji, the former Continental, ANZ, and regional airlines. I love sailing. I do some circuit racing, but I prefer transporting and longer hauls. But I have absolutely no interest in sailing for 28 days between Galapagos and Tuamotos- I think I'd go insane. There's a reason my boat is near bristol condition, because I work on it even during 2-3 hour sails; even if I needed to complete a refit, I'd still run out of work over 28 days- and if I didn't I'd still go insane.

But I've always loved the Pacific, decades before I actually made it there. I ate up the history and the stories. My grandfather was on Guadalcanal; I don't think my father could find it on a map. Once upon a time all Americans knew of Guadalcanal, yet today I'm sure not a single teacher in the local school district could find it on an unlabeled map. Munda- ha, forget about it. Nobody has even heard of the place.

Once upon a time, there were 8000 Americans on Tongatabu. And seven aircraft carriers in Ulithi. Again, forgotten.

Wife and I are in the process of replacing our beloved boat I've owned for 23 years with something larger we can live on and cruise the Great Lakes. In the off season, she's introduced me to local attractions within a few hours drive that I'd never gotten around to visiting because I was on Ha'apai, or Kolombangara, Magnetic Island, or fishing off Arno. I'm sure she'd love to leave the dock and sail the world. But I'm really not interested in sailing the SoPac- because to my eye, it's no longer the South Pacific I fell in love with.

This is not uncommon. A met a guy from the midwest who moved to Palau and couldn't stop talking about how perfect it was. A year later, he left. On my first trip to Oahu I fished, dove, hiked, and sailed. The tenth trip I never touched the water. People I know who move to Hawaii spend six months in the water, after which they go years without touching the beach. In Solomon Islands they say there are three types of white men- missionaries, mercenaries, and misfits. Quite true.

I see the Pacific as having changed, and not for the better. Tonga is owned by the Chinese, with something like 70% of GDP owed to China. The stunning relic Painmaker (oh, sorry, Rainmaker) hotel is gone- torn down and thrown away, rather than repaired. Suva continues to fall apart, the colonial structures decaying, perhaps by design. Moresby and Lae we need not even talk about. Still, somewhere in the back of my mind I understand that not only have the places, people, and politics changed, but so have I. Like most, I enter in awe and leave in disgust and despair.

I think that most sailing cruisers don't see this. Like many of us sailors, they live on the edge of land and society, looking in. Beachcombers and hotel-bound visitors seem so pedestrian, so restricted. But it works both ways- cruisers, I can say, tend to stay near the water's edge, restricting themselves to a different false world without exposure to developing-urban societies and the politics, and even the inland wonders. While cruisers interface with the local YC, or the market, or the local (and wonderful) villagers, they "miss out" on the BS- the same BS they left back home (albeit, likely at a more volatile level).

Often my dreams take me to a supposedly better, and more real, Pacific. These, of course, are exacerbated and cleansed by Michener's Tales of the South Pacific. And Jack London's South Seas Tales. If one can leave the garbage and politics of the SoPac islands, there is a shocking lack of change since Caroline Mytinger's exploits of a hundred years ago as detailed in Headhunting in the Solomon Islands. And in reading A.S. Meeks' A Naturalist in Cannibal Land it's clear that these islands are not much safer than they were a hundred years ago- diseases and internecine warfare and (we we think of as) random violence are still quite common.

But to me, the sad loss of the best part of the Pacific is driven by the politicians. Preceding naturalist Meek in the Solomon Islands, Charles Morris Woodford in the late 1880s studied butterflies. His contributions to scientific knowledge are astonishing. But God forbid somebody try to remove a butterfly from Solomon Islands (or Fiji, or Vanuatu, etc.) today, as these countries have largely become banana republics with rules developed for the sake of making rules (not that it's different than USA or Europe or Australia- but certainly, the island nations make an art form of it.) Case in point, while one may not take a butterfly or lizard off Choisul or Viti Lavu, they don't mind logging the **** out of the island. And historian Justin Taylan discovered pirates (as it turned out, well connected pirates) removing Japanese aircraft from Balaelae- for which the government confined him to "house arrest" on the boat for three months, and subsequent to the aircraft being removed he was fined US$67 and allowed to go free.

Continuing my gripe, the people themselves have changed. Primarily I see this moving from self-dependence to lets-wait-for-the-government-to-fix it. In 2003 a Cat 5 cyclone hit Tikopia with little notice. Nobody died. And while food was scarce afterwards, they got by. Contrast that with urban New Orleans which, despite days of notice, had 1500 dead following Katrina, followed by a complete reliance on government. Two years after that Gizo was hit by a Tsunami. I fully expected them to put their Pacific big-boy pants on and rebuild, but instead they had somehow picked up the sit-and-wait-for-government attitude. I must, say, that was a shock and sadly disappointing change from tradition.

Surely cruisers will call me a spoiler. They will claim that the Pacific villagers are still warm, welcoming, and wonderful. And that is true, they are. Yet, I've seen them change too. The ignorant bliss is gone from their eyes, the corruption of heart and faith has crept into almost every remote village. Yes, times change- but they have changed SO quickly. The difference between 1880 and 1997 was slight in most of the Pacific; today the difference is vast. Some of this is "good"- communications, for example. But the innocence that I so enjoyed has disappeared in such a short time.

I see little difference between Niafu and Tortola, or Pago and St. Thomas. Crime- including violent crime- has crept into innocent Nuku'alofa as it has Ambergris Cay. Nauru and Detroit are sister shitties. Raro has 4G and LTE, but no more coconut crabs. Honiara is becoming Moresby II. Australia has become "Hotel California" because if you don't meet their beaurecratic requirements you can't leave...but you can't stay. Places that totally suck now include Pago, Betio, and Lae. Bring your checkbook to Papeete and Noumea.

Not that this should dissuade from cruising the SoPac. Two thousand years ago a Greek philosopher was quoted that the new generation of children were spoiled and would undoubtedly ruin society- perhaps not ironically something we've heard every decade since. And the same be said for the Pacific- my perspective doesn't change the fact that it is still wonderful, unique, and (largely) welcoming.

Yet still, I do wish I could visit the 1950s SoPac after being made accessible by WW2 airstrips, or the 1970s made more accessible by jets, or even the 1880s when things were tough and dangerous, yet there was freedom to explore and taste. But again, my perspective.

If I were to delight my love and cruise the Pacific, I'd want to go off the path. Yes, there are the more well known places and events I'd like to experience- Nan Madol and John Frum Day come to mind. But I'd want to get off the path and go even more remote- Henderson, Palmerston. I'd like to show up and surprise my friends in Tokelau. I'd rather hang off the beach of Lokuru than get another Gizo Yacht Club birgee. I could spend a few weeks on Kayangel, and skip Koror. I'd love to visit Ontong Java. I have friends in Bville who would more than welcome me, though I missed meeting Francis Ona.

There are some places where "my" Pacific still exists. Problem is, I don't want to sail there...and few do.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 22:25   #2

Boat: Albin Vega
Re: Tales of the South Pacific

Wow, Compared to you I've never been anywhere but I appreciate your candour. Too many people gloss over the negatives.

I'm lucky to already have low expectations of people and places.

Hoping to find enjoyment in those long passages you avoid. At least then the disappointing side of island life can have a happy horizon.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 22:33   #3

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Wow, that was f×××××ng depressing. I read about a quarter of it and now I want to sell my boat and sit in a rocking chair on my porch instead of doing the cruising I have planned for a decade. Thanks.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 22:41   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
Wow, that was f×××××ng depressing. I read about a quarter of it and now I want to sell my boat and sit in a rocking chair on my porch instead of doing the cruising I have planned for a decade. Thanks.

You missed part of the point. The first trip to Disney World is still astonishing. One needs not focus on the fact that the Jungle Cruise after 40 years removed the "Salisbury" sign. You'll still enjoy the ride without the original history, but if one returned after the ride was sanitized it would be apparent that it's been watered down. Still worth the trip- just not as significant. If you don't know what you're missing it's still a good ride.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 22:49   #5

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Don't know how I missed the point, you spent 4 pages complaining about the south pacific. I got the point, there's more to complain about than to rejoice over, even though your woman wants to go. I can't even find a woman who wants to sail and you've got one and you're just miserable over it.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 23:18   #6

Boat: Custom 55

Wow, that was heavy.

While I can't comment on the South Pacific, I understand what you're trying to convey. My first sailing trip trip to the Caribbean, for example, was nearly 30 years ago.

Absolutely, lots has changed, and not necessarily for the better. So many places in the tropics have begun to feel the same in a lot of ways, don't they?

But, time marches on, and I for one wouldn't ever begrudge a society going down the road of consumerism. Hell, the developed world has gone full-bore in this mode for a while, and while there are many demonstrable downsides, our quality of life has vastly improved in so many ways thanks to this materialism.

For example, one might lament that their favorite tropical island has had a generating plant and a cell phone network installed, and the locals are all exposed to the evils of the western world. Internet, music, violent films, you name it.

But, now the village also has much better communication, reliable refrigeration, etc. Food-borne illnesses are now way down. Folks can now call their relations on another island without having to make a boat journey. It's just a minor point.

It's just a hypothetical, and maybe not the direction you're going.

Funny, I just posted a blog entry about the San Blas in 1990. We were last there in 2014. The changes were happening there, and there was a part of me that lamented that the place hadn't stayed firmly as I remembered it, but it's also not anything that I feel entitled to an opinion about either-it's their archipelago to determine the direction they wish to take.

Having Kuna paddle out with their cell phones so they could charge them off of our inverter turned out to be a great intro to some satisfying interactions.

So, I'm not disagreeing with you entirely, but there's still a hell of a lot of good out there, even on the main cruising grounds. I trust that the South Pacific is still quite magical. Especially for those of us who have not been there yet, as you rightly say.

Thanks for posting your thoughts. Very articulate and well written. If I had one piece of advice, it would be not to lament change too much. There is nothing you can do about it anyway.
Old 21-05-2017, 05:44   #7

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

I've had a fair time in SP as well, and whilst I agree with you, Its still worth a visit. White sandy beaches, coconut palms, coral reefs, deep blue water, magnificent mountains, beautiful children are all still there (and hopefully fishing).
I would very much love to go to places I haven't been yet, and those that I have, would want to visit Vanuatu, New Cal and parts of the Solomons (Many places I have not visited).
Tete you are jaded, much like I am towards the beautiful Asia that I discovered 35 years ago, but many first up visitors enjoy it differently, lets not spoil it for visitor or recipient. I can still enjoy the SP but also your opinion.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 08:51   #8

Boat: Boatless

Well done ;-)

I'm working on a piece entitled "your turn". We had ours, they don't know yet, their time will be unique to them.

In 30 or 40 years they will be writing the same article.

Different laments, same theme.

and so the world turns......

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 09:27   #9

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

After sailing on parts of the Great Lakes for almost 60 years, I can tell you to forget it. It's just the same as the S Pacific. Everything good is gone. The people are jerks and it's just a waste of time.

Old 21-05-2017, 10:03   #10

Boat: various junk

Beautiful description of your perspective.

I still wish to return to see Bora Bora again,
I am sure it looks much different than it did in May of 1980.

Sociologically, the entire world is being tied down by politicians
and governments completely out of control.
That will end soon enough as the pendulum swings again.
expatri8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 11:12   #11

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

I feel the same way about the changes in the peninsula of Baja California, Mexico. I have lived an observed the changes over the last 60 years (I am 76 and lived here all my life). Some of the changes are overwhelming and depressing. And yet, on the positive side, there are still many islands, beaches, and remote places to go to. The geology, sky, plants and animals are still there to observe and enjoy. It is just a little more difficult to find remote places. The rest I ignore! I would imagine it is the same in the South Pacific. We will be heading that way in 2-3 years. I do not expect to run into Captain Cook and the South Pacific he found, but appreciate your story and plan to do as much research as possible. I will try to stay away from the touristy places and "burrocrats" (some can be real pain in the a-s). I read about a guy that went to Tahiti and it cost him $400.00 for dinner. I am sure it can happen in many places. I just hope it does not happen to me.
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 11:23   #12

Just a reminder about what awaits those that think the cruising grounds of yore are now so urbanified that that they may choose to become landlocked in disgust.
A preface....my girl and I have been working here in Rochester, upstate New York, for over two years to liquidate everything ( ! ) from two large colonial homes stuffed with a hundred years of two big families collective mass consumerism...we are breaking the mold to be where you, the cruiser are now. And I wish we could do it a lot faster to escape this craziness. We figure we are still two years off from buying the boat...selling off, moving to Chesapeake, setting up a business...buy the boat....its a plan we have had for three years and here in large part, is why.
You may find some of this offensive, but compared to the real life that we have to live through each day, you can be sure its only the tip of the iceberg of degradation.

We live in a pretty decent area of the city, yet even that is in swift decline. Most of the neighbors could care less about mowing their lawn or planting flowers to enhance their homes, too busy polishing their cars, smoking up and getting down with loud obnoxious parties on a regular basis and trying their level best not to get their 'prison pants' dirty with real work.
Why, yesterday a young man with a silly grin, bloodshot eyes and a 40 oz beer in one hand, tried to walk right into our house, ( we keep the screen door bolted shut) thinking that we were someone else. We actually had a trio of young ladies, high as kites, (smelling like a new mowed lawn ) , walk into my house without even a 'by your leave' in late September. That ended well in that no one got beat with the bat we keep at each door. ( the doors windows are bulletproof Lexan and those doors are 'enhanced' with heavy reinforcement to keep out the constant barrage of wanna be thieves that infest the city and bedevil the other neighbors)

Last weekend around midnight, we heard a weird snapping sound, turned out to be a drunk young man (or whatever) neighbor with a stungun in one hand ( the snap sound) and an M16 ( yes, an M16) in the other hand, dancing around the back yard like a voodoo priest. We had the neighbors come get him, they carry (illegal) guns like you and I carry wallets...if we called the police, they would of sent a huge swat team and locked up the whole neighborhood. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.
A young cop, ( one of many there ) banging on my door at 10:00 one night last week asking if we had heard gunshots from another neighbor....
Sirens all the time for some infraction. ..... rude children..." what da XXXXX are you looking at dad"? from a group of 10 year olds walking down the center of a city street. Rude adults....the middle finger salute is a greeting now?
My wife was held at knifepoint and robbed of $10.00 right in a laundromat a few years ago. Plenty of people around, just no one interested enough.
Someone crashed into the tree out front and drove off, leaving his bumper and a damaged tree behind.
Hundreds of tiny little plastic bags have become a part of our urban landscape. The smell of burning 'something' is in the air often enough that its no longer even noticed. 64 oz bottles mingle with piles of discarded tires and littered junkfood wrappers on every flat surface all the time.
Loud motorcycles, crewed by men that look like angry Viking thugs on a rampage, blast by often enough. There is super duper loud thumping, so loud it actually shakes the windows, bumping 'music 'from car after car of people that do not care snot about your quietude, all vying to be the absolute loudest in their exhortations to 'smoke da weeds, 'enslave the wimins and kill all the '5ohs'.

We sold our boat ( a 22 foot Venture trailer queen) three years ago, so now we gaze wistfully at a couple of bigger boats for sale here. Not until after we move.
We think that no matter how it gets in one marina or another, anywhere in the world, nothing can be as bad as this is now with our cities in such decline in physical nature and its people in drastically lowered personal morals.

We are patient in our step by step plodding forward. We keep in mind the way things will be, the lack of neverending blatting noises, the absence of a constant stream of crazy people intruding .........

the hiss of a rope as it runs, the clinking of ( someone elses ) halyards, the slop of the waves, the nice folks a couple boats away that wave and invite us to an afternoon of conversation and coolness. The wind .....not a soul in sight for a half dozen days.....
Meacenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 11:59   #13

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Thanks for that reality check. I do get lost in my daydreams of the SP. I grew up in Newfoundland and was also fortunate to live on Oahu between 1984-87. Both places are a real disappointment when I go back to visit. The Newfie culture is completely gone and has melted into the global culture of dependency and laziness and Ewa Beach HI, is completely unrecognizable. But I digress, I suppose a first time visitor will find uniqueness in either place. Maybe it is just us being disappointed on how small the world seems.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 12:14   #14

Boat: Custom 55

For those of you lamenting the current state of things, I'd recommend finding the movie 'Network' from the 70's. This is the 'I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore' movie. The most famous rant from this film will sound like it could be from today.

40 years ago, exactly the same sentiment was being expressed. It's perpetually so with us people, and really pretty false for the most part.

The world has become BETTER over the last several decades by most metrics. Violent crime is down, your odds of being killed in a military conflict are down, dying by disease (at least non self-inflicted ones) is down. Education has improved, gender equality has improved.

This list goes on and on. The world may seem to you like it's going all to hell, but the data doesn't generally support that sentiment.

There are huge problems to overcome, for sure, but have some faith that we're not on the edge of the abyss. We'll be ok.

Just a thought.. Below is some evidence about the USA, there's a lot of info out there.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...rles-c-w-cooke

TJ
Old 21-05-2017, 12:22   #15

Chief "VaHa" and I, (In Hunga Lagoon, Tonga), feel sorry for your miserable interpretation of life.
Get help!
I hope to never run into you on your fake cruising adventures!

Cheers,

Captdd
Captdd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
south pacific