Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2015, 19:52   #1

Boat: Norman Cross Trimaran, 46'
Need Fishing Gear Advice

Not sure that this is the right place to put this, but since it's about provisioning for our journey and fishing gets us food....

I'm in the process of putting together a bunch a saltwater fishing gear. I've ordered an assortment of poles and reels (mostly used stuff of high quality since I'm stingy). Several Penn reels, a large lot of lures, several poles of varying lengths, etc.

I'm stuck on line. What kind of line should I stock up on? We've never done saltwater fishing before so we're going to be new to it.

Would like to be able to set a pole while underway and catch things like Mahi, Tuna, etc.
Serapium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 20:19   #2

Re: Need Fishing Gear Advice

I am not aboard the boat yet but do a lot of fishing. I actually prefer just using handlines. They can be bought for about $75 or just make them out of parachute cord (550 Cord for those military folks) and add a leader of 80-100 pound test line.

I go out about once a week and do not even own a rod and reel. I can handle anything on the handlines including the 90 pound yellow fin I hauled in a couple of weeks ago. I just increase the speed of the boat slightly to get the fish on plane and haul it in. Want to get them in before Mr Sharky comes gets an easy snack. Maybe not as easy to increase boat speed in a sail boat though.

If you decide to go with rods. I would recommend backing the reel with 80-100 pound braid and then topping it with 80-100 monofilament. The mono is much thicker so putting the braided on first will give you a lot more run if a really big one grabs hold but the mono has a good stretch to it so it helps reduce your chance of breakage if you set the drag too tight.
AlmostParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 20:25   #3

Also if you go with Rod and Reel a short trolling rod is really all you need. Get one with rollers to reduce friction on the line. Anything longer than a trolling rod is not really needed and a hassle to handle on a boat. A six foot rod just get in the way. I would also make sure I bring along a rebuild kit for the reel and grease for it too. The bearings need maintenance and if neglected the drag will be shot and either freewheel or lock up on you. Most of the guys I go with break them down for cleaning and greasing once every 6 months or so and do a complete rebuild every other year but like I said before we go out almost every weekend.

Make sure you learn to bleed the tuna. It is a "warm blooded" fish. You can easily ruin the wonderful meat if you do not bleed it out quickly and properly and get it cooled down.
AlmostParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 20:40   #4

Boat: Jeanneau DS 49

We used a handline consisting of 50' mono about #80 test followed by 1/4" heavy nylon (enough to put the lure on the 2nd wave) about 3 boat lengths to a loop of line with a double heavy rubber tubing about 15' long to absorb the shock and tied to the railing. We set the line and lure out after clearing the dock and caught as many fish as we could eat. We also found using a lure 6-8" was big enough, the bigger the lure the bigger the fish. We caught lots of Mahi and Tuna all the way across the Pacific like this. The best fishing is during bad weather
Old 28-09-2015, 22:27   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

The Cruiser's Handbook of Fishing
The Cruiser's Handbook of Fishing: Scott Bannerot, Wendy Bannerot: 9780071427883: Amazon.com: Books
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 04:06   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentobin View Post
Another one:
The Secrets of Sailboat Fishing Revealed!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 08:16   #7

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

Convenience for use, effectiveness and storage favors hand lines when underway. If you're an avid fisherman, you may want to consider a lighter pole and line arrangement to use for sport when you find yourself at anchor and feel the need to indulge in your hobby. There were several good references provided in the responses to your question. Good luck, good sailing and good fishing!
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 08:27   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Since I already had them, I keep twin trolling poles with Penn International 30SW's on the boat, I'm partial to all monofiliment though as I grew up with it and price.
If I was starting from scratch I think hand lines make a whole lotta sense.

Buy GOOD rod holders and tie your reels to the boat with dummy cords, last trip we had a 6' Cuda hit and snap the West Marine holder right in two, I would have lost the tackle if not for the dummy cord.

Although on a good day you'll find yourself going much faster than optimum trolling speed lures will vary widely, a Mann stretch 30 at 7 kts will pull like a big fish on, so it's not a 7 kt lure. What I call a feather duster is though, not sure of their real name.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 08:27   #9

Here is a site that sells handlines. If you don't want to buy one you can at least see how they are made and used...

Home
GreenIssue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 08:36   #10

Send a message via ICQ to Kevin876 Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin876 Send a message via Skype™ to Kevin876

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

excellent book! I have it in my collection of goodies since 2007
Kevin876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 08:40   #11

For your Penn Reels, this is the best bang for the buck. The shark guys absolutely swear by it. With all braids, make sure you wind it on tight. As a newbie, I would check out the Youtube videos on winding on line to your reel. Tight lines!
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 08:55   #12

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Hand lines. Ask for a Cuban Yo Yo and rig with 100 lb test. You are fishing for food not fun. Ask for a skirted dolphin Mahdi lure. And yew read Banneroot. Russ
Russ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 08:58   #13

Short, heavy rod. 60-100# line, Stainless steel leader 3-6 ft long. Weighted rubber squid, blue, silver, green maybe 8" long. Large single hook. Cant remember size maybe 1.25-1.5"+ from tip across to shank.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 09:06   #14

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serapium View Post
N...I've ordered an assortment of poles and reels...a large lot of lures, several poles of varying lengths...
This is called a spending spree.

You don't need an assortment of rods of varying lengths. A hand line or one short, stout, heavy duty rod plus a heavy trolling reel is all you need to fish while sailing.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 10:01   #15

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Rods & reels are for sport, and I have plenty aboard from tuna sticks (Lamiglass brand is a good value) to fly rods (invented by aristocrstic white guys with the emphasis on complex technique and gear...not putting dinner on the table). If you really want to put dinner on the table, then watch what local fishermen do... they catch live bait (way more productive than artificial and WAY cheaper), they fish with heavy mono handlines (way cheaper than fancy rods and designed to muscle a fish to the boat, not play it), and alternatively they use nets, various types of snares/gaffs/traps, and spearguns. These techniques and gear are cost effective ways to put dinner on the table and money in their pockets.

For sport, think about what kind of fishing you want to do. A good choice for trolling is a stout tuna stick with a venerable Penn Senator reel (I use 114H's), but dont forget a good all-stainless rod holder like Tigress brand. Make sure the entire rod holder is stainless...some cheaper ones have cast metal bases which corrode and fail...depositing that nice tuna stick on the bottom. A hand line rigged with a bit of bungy for strike shock absorption is damn effective too...rig it with large enough backing line that you can just take it to a winch and grind him in.

Spin casting. A mix of light to medium weight rods are nice to have depending upon what you are fishing for. You can also cast with a hand line such as a Cuban Rig.

Gloves are a good idea if you plan to do much handline fishing and for working with braid.

I take handline rigs out fishing in the dingy or if Im wading around because they are so much easier to transport and stow than rods. I also keep some in the ditch bag.

Braid is great stuff, but study up on how to build proper shock and abraison leaders...especially for trolling. Also, braid will cut you badly in a flash...be careful.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, fishing, gear