Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2017, 07:40   #1

Hydraulic Steering Poor

Just started crewing on a Prout Quest 31. First multi hull. Found turning circle v poor and hydraulic system seemed to have no end stop - wheel turned rudder but just kept going round and round. Suspect I might not be getting full lock and have a leak internally within the system. The system is holding pressure. I'm the new boy so what should I politely suggest to the old hand maintenance guy on the team?
Sealegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:57   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Hydraulic Steering Poor

Several items comes to mind. There could be a bypass from wear/age in the pump or cylinder. Is there a pressure relief valve, that could have a broken spring or some dirt in the ball check.

The only way to know for sure is to pull each piece and bench test them. If so, prepare your job for fluid control with drain pans, hose plugs and absorbent pads. Things could get messy.
Old 04-06-2017, 23:50   #3

Thanks. That was my thinking to. Not sure how to break the news to the maintenance guy. I am correct that hydraulic steering should have a positive end stop?
Sealegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:01   #4

Boat: 1980 Morgan 46 ketch and 2000 Hylas 54

Yes ,my Hynautic system does.
rockborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:42   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sealegger.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:12   #6

Boat: Valiant 42

I would just tell the maintenance guy what you experienced. Perhaps he already knows what is going on if he has been maintaining the boat for a while. Also, you can easily check yourself if the rudder is going all the way over by looking at the tiller arms that turn the rudders.

It's possible the hydraulic steering has a pressure relief valve that bypasses the steering cylinder when the rudder reaches the stops. A steering pump can create high pressure and some systems utilize a pressure relief to prevent stressing the system when novice helmsman keep trying to turn the rudder too far.

Hynautic systems have a pair of bypass valves. If your boat uses an older hynautic then perhaps they have come loose and just need to be snugged up.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:50   #7

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Check the fluid reservoir and make sure the fluid is topped up. Low fluid level will pull air into the system, and give the wheel a light feel and seem to turn a long time, and the rudders will not go full over.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic steering, steering