Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2016, 07:56   #1

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Chartplotters: the next step

Wifi Chartplotters at the helm that only need a power connection, all data connections and radar image overlay are sent via wifi. Step after that is solar powered screen or cover.

Already have Chart and program updates when in port.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 20:21   #2

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: Chartplotters: the next step

What's your question.

I don't consider wireless oprions appropriate for mission and safety critical applications.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 20:28   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

Like the Wifi part.

Don't like the solar power as the battery would probably go flat overnight but an inductive charging loop in the permanent housing from which the CP could be removed would get it for me.

I think in the longer term WiFi would probably be more reliable as it removes a lot of physical connections which are prone to failure in a wired system.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 20:32   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Wifi Chartplotters at the helm that only need a power connection, all data connections and radar image overlay are sent via wifi. Step after that is solar powered screen or cover.

Already have Chart and program updates when in port.
WiFi isn't a reliable data transport. But ethernet configured for PoE (power over ethernet) would provide a one-cable solution to get power and the data feed to the helm.

Depends on whether the boating industry adopts well established technologies from land fields rather than inventing custom approaches. The good news is that ethernet and TCP/IP support is a commodity that is baked into lots of powerful single chip solutions. We are probably already at the point where enough power is available in dirt cheap off-the-shelf electronic components. So there may be little benefit in ignoring the built-in network support.
mrichmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 21:42   #5

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I agree, transport of most of the data in a canbus/nmea system would be well served over wi-fi. Is it completely reliable? No. Do you really need to know your speed every second? No.

Even better, this would cut down on cables and also increase lightning protection... one less cable to fry your system.

Properly installed, wifi is perfectly suitable for consumer boat uses. Heck, my garmin chartplotter mirrors out to my ipad so when I'm not on watch I can take a peak at my ipad to see how things are going. You can even control the chartplotter and the autopilot using the ipad.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:19   #6

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I think the future lay in something we arnt into yet.

Not sure what if I did, I'd suggest an answer. But I think it will be more than just wifi and wifi charging.

And in any case wifi connection is already available.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:28   #7

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Yes, that's the point. One or no wires to run. Ethernet POE would be fine if needed, but I think very soon the masthead instrument will be local wifi/solar, and transducer will be 12vdc power, with local wifi going to a local wifi Chartplotter. Only problem would be the radar, but Furuno has a wifi radar now.

Very simple with just the chartplotter display at point of use, and no other instrument displays sprinkled around.

Will Rain, heavy seas and spray cause problems? Possibly. I do not know.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:54   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Mast head Wifi / Solar instruments have been out for quite awhile now?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:29   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

I am afraid, if there is a power cord, then you may as well send all data via it.

IMHO the NEXT BIG STEP is wireless DC distribution. All other things are already here.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:32   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Tesla?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 15:34   #11

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I am afraid, if there is a power cord, then you may as well send all data via it.

IMHO the NEXT BIG STEP is wireless DC distribution. All other things are already here.

b.
They are in a round about sort of way. 'wire' less instruments have been around for a while but are so unreliable, especially in steel vessels.

I think the immediate future will see a truly multi functional display that will include everything, including internet access, ais, perhaps vhf radio etc, mob and epirb.

And before someone say's 'it's called a laptop', then No, a laptop is not designed for the wet environment and nor is it all in one display. You have to do a lot of playing around to get everything in the one lap top.

I'm talking a marine MFD that does all those things.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 00:10   #12

Boat: Island Packet 40

I have about four computers, a tablet and touch screen phone at the moment all of which have both wifi and Bluetooth, it appears to be ubiquitous in these gadgets these days. I also bought a new sounder a while back which I could have had with wifi, it's everywhere these days and it appears that if you have the software all these gadgets will talk to each other.

The simplicity and convenience of installation whereby one just connects to a power supply and can then receive the signal into a multiplicity of receivers stationed at any point on the vessel without any further wiring provides such an overwhelming advantage that I think it will not be long until all marine instrument suppliers will provide wifi'd instruments and you will be able to display everything on your computers, slates, phones as well as dedicated displays.

The reason I like inductive charging and power transfer is that it allows the device to be completely sealed which solves one of the biggest problems with electronics in the marine environment - moisture intrusion.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 00:32   #13
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post

I'm talking a marine MFD that does all those things.
Like a Raspberry Pi in a waterproof box?

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter