Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2012, 15:41   #16

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 40
Re: Hunter 27: Blue Water Capable?

Amen to the tiller. Another factor to consider: tiller-mounted autopilots are cheap and don't take much room. We carry two. One Raymarine TillerPilot steered us from Seattle to Panama to the Galapagos to the Marquesas to Tahiti and then to Tonga and New Zealand. Still going strong.
fugue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 18:57   #17

Boat: Carlisle Yachts: 59' Cutter-rigged Deck Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxaholic View Post
right now, i have a 25 foot catalina tall rig. in the marina there is a 27 foot hunter for a reasonable price. it is wheel steer (which i want) more head room (which i want) and is 2 feet longer with alot more headroom. it does need some work. but is a 27foot hunter able to go in the ocean?

i have always heard hunters arent the best sailing boats. what do u guys think?
Why not check out what the builder (Marlow-Hunter) thought when they built it ?

The IMCI site provides a clear ratings system, agreed by the factory

Here you go...IMCI - International Marine Certification Institute - Boats

You can see that only a couple of Hunters are rated as true ocean capable vessels ( Category A )

The 27 's are rated as Category B

Hope this assists you in drawing your own conclusions ..

Carlisle Spirit
Carlisle Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 19:47   #18

Boat: Moody 42

I for one and tired of seeing these post about this boat or that boat being able to go into blue water. Most all of them asking about a small costal (at best) cruiser. Thing is anything is possible, but if you need to ask, then no, it's not a good boat for that.
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 22:56   #19

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman375 View Post
I for one and tired of seeing these post about this boat or that boat being able to go into blue water. Most all of them asking about a small costal (at best) cruiser. Thing is anything is possible, but if you need to ask, then no, it's not a good boat for that.
Then don't read past the first post, and certainly don't post to the thread yourself, especially a thread that died out over a year ago just to be resurrected in the last few days.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 01:05   #20

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

19 posts on a Hunter thread and no Don Lucas yet. What's up with that?
Old 23-11-2012, 04:31   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
19 posts on a Hunter thread and no Don Lucas yet. What's up with that?
First time I've even looked at this thread and what do I find, a personal poke! Isn't there a name for this?

What do you want to hear?

I would guess that an old Hunter 27 sails as well as any other old 27' boat! But I don't know any better than all the other posters on this thread that aren't really based on anything or any real knowledge of the boat. I don't feel a Hunter 27 is a good boat for long distance off shore sailing (the OP only asked this in the title)! But then I don't feel any 27' boat is!

My position is not that all Hunters are good! My position is that not all Hunters are bad!
Old 23-11-2012, 05:24   #22

Boat: contessa 32

Sailed with a buddy who had a new (then) Hunter 27 some 30+ years ago.We left NYC and motored into a strong outgoing tide around Sandy Hook into the Atlantic where the 10kt. breeze was opposing. Things got rather bouncy in these conditions and the concerned captian went below to see if all was in order; came bolting back up topsides and ordered the boat turned around against my protests that conditions would improve once we rounded the point and were in more open water.It seems that below decks this guy heard everything creaking and twisting and thought we were in danger of having everything come unglued! Now,my friend was some tough a$$ guy but inexperienced in salt water and now that I am reminded of this episode I find it rather humorous.
FWIW: subsequent trips in coastal waters in benign conditions worked out swimmingly (no pun) and proved worthwhile;but some grander plans died that day.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 05:47   #23

Boat: O'Day 28

Way back when I had a wheel on a Bayfield 25. I looked heroic as hell at the wheel but all the other time the steering gear was in the way bigtime.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 06:52   #24

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas

First time I've even looked at this thread and what do I find, a personal poke! Isn't there a name for this?

What do you want to hear?

I would guess that an old Hunter 27 sails as well as any other old 27' boat! But I don't know any better than all the other posters on this thread that aren't really based on anything or any real knowledge of the boat. I don't feel a Hunter 27 is a good boat for long distance off shore sailing (the OP only asked this in the title)! But then I don't feel any 27' boat is!

My position is not that all Hunters are good! My position is that not all Hunters are bad!
Lighten up Don. Have you lost you sense of humor?
Old 25-09-2013, 08:58   #25

Boat: Montgomery 17

A tiller can be fashioned from wood anywhere in the world. Parts for wheel steering can be had for the waiting and waiting in industrial ports and lots of money.

With a tiller, you feel the steering. With a wheel, you clutter up your cockpit, which is your principle place to hang out when cruising.

Want clutter? Want function and cheap costs so you can stay out longer and go further?

Jim B
jbeerstecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 18:09   #26

Boat: 223 Starwind

Way back in this thread weather helm was mentioned. All the Hunter boats of this series were bad in that respect. The solution is not in the rudder, but adding a bowsprit and moving the forestay out. Did that on my 37 Cutter (same design, different size) and it straightened things right out.

Moved mine about 3 1/2 feet.
austinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 19:52   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I wonder why Don L. closed out on us. If he is still reading stuff, perhaps he could write me at mrkgillisatyahoodotcom.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 04:11   #28
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I wonder why Don L. closed out on us. If he is still reading stuff, perhaps he could write me at mrkgillisatyahoodotcom.
seems that are personal shots at him on this thread page so why would he continue taking it
Old 27-09-2013, 05:51   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
seems that are personal shots at him on this thread page so why would he continue taking it
I think it is all in jest,no harm meant..Hes just taking care of business..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 07:19   #30

Boat: 48' steel cutter

Yes, it's seaworthy and will take the ocean. But why would you want a wheel on a boat under 30'? The cons far outweigh the pros on that size sailboat. For starters, with a tiller you can put on a dead-simple tiller AP. With a wheel, you need lines running to the wheel, which get in the way and induces a slop. Under 30', tiller all the way!!!
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, water