Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2017, 12:39   #46

Re: HUNTER 456 (2002) - PROBLEMS WITH HULL GLASS FIBRE DELAMINATING

I am not confident that a wet core can be dried without opening it up and removing/replacing it. I'll believe it when I see examples. It may be possible in some cases with very good equipment, but how do you verify it? I can see getting water out, but moisture... not so sure.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 21:39   #47
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpsmith View Post
I should add that any water ingress on the "topsides" of the hull (That area between the water and the deck) is only apparent or possible from a breaking down of the hull to deck joint seal which is a bolted internal flange concealed externally by the continuous rub rail around the hull of the Hunter Passage 456. Why the joint seal has apparently failed on both port and starboard sides some 10-15 feet from the stern is a mystery - and certainly something that could have happened during manufacture of this otherwise superbly 'strong' vessel which superlative likened me to purchase the yacht in the first place, where my previous yacht, built by WESTERLY Yachts in UK, had similarly excellent scantlings and characteristics.
Thanks for the clarification of your definition of "topsides".

Would need to know the construction details of the affected area before I could even begin to speculate.

Presently it could be:

A) The hull and hull liner aren't intended to be bonded and there is condensation between the two over an area of 10 cm^2. (i.e. absolutely nothing wrong).

B) Hull balsa core is saturated, rotted, and delaminated over an area of 10 m^2. (i.e. major defect.)

...or somewhere in between.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 01:33   #48

Boat: HUNTER LEGEND 456
Send a message via Skype™ to captpsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Thanks for the clarification of your definition of "topsides".

Would need to know the construction details of the affected area before I could even begin to speculate.

Presently it could be:

A) The hull and hull liner aren't intended to be bonded and there is condensation between the two over an area of 10 cm^2. (i.e. absolutely nothing wrong).

B) Hull balsa core is saturated, rotted, and delaminated over an area of 10 m^2. (i.e. major defect.)

...or somewhere in between.
Currently I am in UK Rod. I am having an independent surveyor to identify following:
1/ Size of effected area
2/ Exact cause of water/moisture ingress
3/ Extent of Damage to core material - believed to be Balsa
4/ Possible ways to effect a substantial and effective repair

I will publish the findings for other users and hope to encourage others to look out for the indicators and reasons of this failing in the construction!
captpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 03:05   #49

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

If i remember well the hull deck flange is solid glass in the Hunter? the core section dont go all the way to deck hull joint? then i dont see how a faulty deck hull joint can allow wáter reach the core.... what i see in some cored topsides sections is those funny White plastic throughulls for wáter tanks ventilations or diesel, waste etc.. well above the waterline and sometimes drilled in the cored section without filling the inner section with epoxy, few years with a toasted White mushroom and the core take a beat.. just saying...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 04:05   #50
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
If i remember well the hull deck flange is solid glass in the Hunter? the core section dont go all the way to deck hull joint? then i dont see how a faulty deck hull joint can allow wáter reach the core.... what i see in some cored topsides sections is those funny White plastic throughulls for wáter tanks ventilations or diesel, waste etc.. well above the waterline and sometimes drilled in the cored section without filling the inner section with epoxy, few years with a toasted White mushroom and the core take a beat.. just saying...
Yes, hull / deck join fasteners through balsa would be a design or construction defect. I like your thruhulls warning. That could be the location of deck run-off drams.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, hunter