Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2018, 19:06   #1

Pearson 39 vs Whitby Ketch 42

Hello!

My husband and I are looking for a sailboat to cruise with In the winter (dec-march each year). He has a lot of history with sailing, I am relatively newer to it. Two boats we have been looking at are a 74 Pearson 39 and a 73 Whitby ketch 42, pretty different. The Pearson is close to us in New England, was taken care of very, very well and has been shrink wrapped the last few years. It has a retractable fin keel—it was only used for coastal sailing. The Whitby has been cruising up and down to South America the last 18 years and is in a slip In Florida. Both are in good condition, I am asking more about the design in general:

While we plan to start off with coastal sailing as I learn a lot more, in a few years we want to start going blue water down to South America, and possibly doing crossings and living on the boat longer term. The Pearson is less expensive, but the Whitby is better outfitted for eventual blue water, and a fair amount heavier/longer etc. but also has a rounded tenderness to the shape and without a bow sprint...both seem to have upsides and downsides.
question being—does anyone have experience doing crossings and blue water cruising in a Pearson 39? Which would you choose?

Thanks!
Musicfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 20:51   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Pearson 39 vs Whitby Ketch 42

We've had close friends with Whitby 42s. Both had trouble with the hull to deck joint that opened up on passages. Fixable. One of them, the woman did not like how rolly their boat was at anchor. They did not use flopper stoppers of any kind.

The types of enclosures people make for CC boats tend to get quite high and are large, and do not do the boats any favors performance-wise. Aft cockpit dodgers do so to a lesser extent.

No experience, even 2nd hand, with the Pearson.

Ann
Old 28-08-2018, 13:30   #3

Boat: Pearson 34

We cruised for 5 years in a Whitby 42 and would definitely choose that over the P-39. W-42 is heavier, and won't sail upwind as well as the P-39 but will handle a storm better and will be more comfortable. It will have much more storage space and will allow for a warm and dry cockpit enclosure with room enough for 8 at happy hour. Our current boat is a P-34 and it's good upwind, but it's not for living aboard. Good luck with your search.
RSB333
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 13:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
We've had close friends with Whitby 42s. Both had trouble with the hull to deck joint that opened up on passages. Fixable.

Ann
I believe some Whitby 42s had riveted hull to deck joins, others were through bolted. I would not want one with rivets.

A friend recently sailed his from the Caribbean to the Med via Azores. Obviously a boat that's capable of passages although not the fastest thing in the world.
jls095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 18:22   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

Whitby 42's have a reputation (see above) for being relatively well-built passagemakers. The ketch rig performs well on long downwind reaches (read: cruising) The Pearson is a nice boat, but the sloop/centerboard rig is perhaps better suited to coastwise trips where windward work might be more valued than it is generally in ocean cruising. The Pearson's centerboard is a moving part (read:breakable)that might not be something you'd use much, or even need. The Pearson's v-drive engine shaft transmission is something else from the '70's that you would not want to need parts for in Buenos Aires in 2020.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 07:38   #6

Boat: Pearson 34-II

I chartered a Whitby 42 for a week in the early 90's in the Virgin Islands. It's a real sea slug if you're looking for a boat that has good overall sailing performance. Contrariwise, I've never encountered any Pearson model that didn't sail well including the old Countess. However, the daggerboard would be a problem for me in regards to maintenance and potential mechanical failure. So, neither one would work for me with your desired plans in mind. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
Old 03-06-2019, 05:42   #7

Boat: Pearson P39Hull#72

Musicfarmer,
Coming to this party(discussion)pretty late & not particularly sure if You're even still considering or if You (two) opted for a completely different option/vessel?
Having had a bit of experience with both, (delivered 2 W42's, own a P39, ['75, hull #72] extensively upgraded, rigged entirely to single hand & well maintained), upsides & downsides to both have already been partially mentioned, here's a few more.

The whitby's will feel a bit top heavy if You're not used to Center Cockpits, and while they can sail circles around Morgan O-I 41's & 51's, they're not a designed off the drafting table PHRF Racer/Cruiser. IF You have plans for a SLEW of people onboard, and need room for everything but Your baby grand from the shore side in migrating to cruising (or have 6 big dogs?) or currently sleep in separate bedrooms, the W42 is probably a bit more than 2, new to the extended cruising world would be initially comfortable with; They are forgiving and they are for the most part exceptionally well built boats. They also are NOT Fast under even the best of circumstances.

Keep in mind that Corvettes are fast, but so are Porsche Cayenne's. While 1 You May find MISERABLE for a 3 day extended drive, the other You may just adore? Point being is that You can always sail a FAST boat more conservatively(or 'slowly' if You prefer?), however You'll never make a Slow boat faster.

Our P39 is of the later salon floorplan & I have no idea about your considered model (74 is when they did the changeover, removing the upper outboard shelving (Convert-a-berths)above the berths/settee's both port&starboard in the salon) however both Wife & I found we have More Than Enough storage for both of us And 4 dogs (2 med, 2 small). HINT: Look in the closet at all You haven't worn in the last year? Don't consider any of that stuff. While we don't have a washer/dryer, nearly all decent Liveaboard marina's do, & hand washing hasn't killed us yet. 1 of our critically important upgrades was a watermaker. One previously mentioned other is going fm. a RV10 V-Drive to an RV26 by Walter (& I keep a spare prop/shaft/zinks/perkins parts sufficient to choke Budweiser's team of Clydesdales stowed onboard). We also extensively insulated the engine compartment; eventually we'll convert to an electric motor and take much more advantage of the additional newfound space(s). We also have a Wind Gen & solar panels, as well as a hard dink that stows nicely under the boom on the cabin top preserving as much of the fore deck for sun worshiping as possible. Our inflatable stows w/spinnaker & Std. Hank on Storm Jib(& storm anchor) in 1 of the cockpit storage areas (under the seats).

We also have a bowsprit & dinghy davits on the stern, however ours can be swung in, when in those marines charging ungodly rates 'per foot' for short term; takes about 5 minutes to loosen and 'readjust' down from 45' LOA(currently) to 41' LOA. (& that can save You considerable moola in the pricey places)

Wife has great sealegs & very experienced sailor, yet prefers NOT to heel over further than 15 degrees & not so ironically, our P39 can make 10kts at exactly that 15 degree heel. I couldn't Count the number of times we've made 200NM in a day w/o stress or straining (either the vessel or us). Remember again, that You can Always sail 'slower' on a Fast Cruiser; You can Never sail Faster on a Slow Cruiser. While many will argue that when sailing, "the vessel IS The Destination", actually GETTING to chosen destinations is also rewarding and having more time to spend There is priceless.

Aside speed, another advantage of the P39 is draft. We're on the W.Coast of FL. & have been fm. Brownsville to Key West & Keys, Tortugas, all over the Caribbean, Bermuda & up to Maine. Coast wise, yes, offshore, some, S.America, never, nor has our vessel per former owner. As both a builder & racer (since age 9), & having been on both vessels, & chosen 1 for long term ownership, our preference is obvious (since '05). I'll never badmouth a Whitby other than the aforementioned speed issue and also mentioned by others' riveted Hull to Deck joint, & I'd heartily recommend getting a top quality SURVEY on both vessels You're (or were?) considering & pay close attention to the details of deferred maint. issues, as these older boats REALLY need to be either In the Back Yard, or attended to by doting owners. When You say the P39 was "very, very well maintained"[w/I assume the records supporting same?], it becomes a "no brainer". IF You discovered after the aft cockpit that You really Want a center/cockpit & need the extra space/storage and don't mind put-zing along, and the deeper draft won't cause You any difficulties at planned destinations, You can always move Up to a Whitby or other more 'gentrified' cruiser once You're sure that's more suited to Your needs then? Bigger isn't always better & best advice is to hire 2 of the best surveyors w/phenomenal reviews, that You can find. Their professional opinions and instructions (with Both Boats OUT OF THE WATER as long as they Need) may well make the decision for You. Also know that re-selling whichever You purchase, will be easy & depending on Your care and 'doting', possibly even a money Making venture(we have, far more than once). Each has their advantages (& a few disadvantages).
ALWAYS Remember:
The PERFECT Boat provides Comfort & Space for:
"Drinks for 6
Dinner for 4
& Sleeps 2"

HTH,
Most Respectfully,
-Mick
captmick39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch, pearson