Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2020, 08:56   #1

Boat: Montgomery 15
Charter information / San Juan Islands

Some friends and I would like to charter in the San Juan Islands this year. I have some questions this forum might help me with;
As is typical, there are seasons with corresponding pricing. Is High Season truly the best time of year for cruising the San Juans? Or is a lower priced season just as satisfying?
Is there one itinerary in particular that should not be missed?
Should I consider a non sailing vessel?
What Charter Companies can be recommended?

These are my initial questions. I welcome other comments and suggestions involving any part of Chartering in the San Juans. Pro and con.
Thanks
mdsdurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:13   #2

Re: Charter information / San Juan Islands

Chartered out of Anacortes, WA with Anacortes Yacht Charters many years ago
(Krogen 42). Everything went perfectly smooth, and as advertised. Can’t comment as to your question about dates.
FL Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 22:26   #3

Boat: Island Packet 349

Summertime is fantastic in PNW. Winter is mostly cold rain and storms. I registered gusts up to 48 knots this Friday at a slip in Anacortes, with sustained wind of over 30 knots that lasted for a few hours.
Regardless the season and the boat type, you will be motoring most of the time. Occasionally, against strong currents.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 22:02   #4

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

I can't comment directly on the San Juan's but high season usually means summer. Summer is hotter weather and lots of people. Shoulder seasons are the spring and fall, and imo much nicer boating. Less crowded anchorages for a start, bit more variable weather.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 08:37   #5

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

The San Juan Islands get about 100 less rain days a year compared to Seattle. The best months to go are late June through September. Sorry, i can't help you with charter company recommendations.

But, places I'd recommend...

Patos Island. There are 2 mooring balls in Active Cove and the cove is very protected except for winds from NE. The mooring balls are almost always occupied. There is limited anchoring, and I'd recommend a stern tie as well. There's an old lighthouse on the island that is well maintained. I love this place...small, isolated, quite, beautiful.

Sucia Island is my next favorite. A bit more crowded and lots of protected anchoring in Echo Bay, Fossil Bay, and Fox Cover. There are some mooring balls in Shallow Bay and limited anchorage, but it's the best in my opinion. There is also a public dock in Echo Bay that is usually packed. Don't miss China Rocks!

Stuart Island is also one of my favorites. It is by far my daughter's favorite. Great anchoring in both Reid and Prevost Harbors. Great park, the lighthouse has great view. It has a 1 room school house open to the public which is pretty interesting. Also, one of the permanent residence family on the island print t-shirts and sell them from a box on the trail. Choose your design from the shirts hanging on a line, open the box, get the selection and deposit your money. It's on the honor system.

Of course there is San Juan Island. Friday Harbor is the main hub for virtually all the islands. It is a busy area. Large marina and lots of anchorage. The town is small. Good restaurants, ice cream, and lots of little stores. On the northern end is Roche Harbor. Roche also has a large marina and anchorage, but not much else...Roche is personally my least favorite harbor. However, Roche is IMHO the best place to be to go out and watch orcas and sometimes gray whales on the west and north side of the island.

Orcas Island's Deer Harbor is another favorite for some. IMHO...it's OK.

James Island is a beautiful state park and there is a public dock (usually full) and I think a mooring ball or 2, no anchoring. However, the current is very strong through the small bay. Only enter/exit during slack current.

Lopez Island Spencer Spit is another great place. Anchorage on north or south side of spit.

Some things to be aware of...
Watch for ferry traffic between the islands.

Tidal range is huge...8 - 12 feet; this is important if you are anchoring.

Currents are extremely strong (5 knots) in many areas. Converging currents create whirlpools, and counter currents create areas of water that looks like it's boiling (lots of confused surface chop). Tide and current charts are as critical as your chart plotter. Time routes on currents.

Fog is a possibility in early mornings; esp around August/September. It usually burns off by 11 or so. If you need early departure to catch the current you need radar.

As previously mentioned, in July August timeframe you will likely be doing a lot more motoring than sailing. When there is wind, it is usually gusty and big shifts in direction as it flows around islands.
Old 15-01-2020, 15:08   #6

MDSDurango,
We are relatively inexperienced, but have chartered in the San Juans twice in the past two years. Last year we chose Anacortes Yacht Charters and this year we chose San Juan Sailing. Both companies ran a tight ship, we had no complaints with either.
Favorite destinations depend on individual tastes. We had six aboard and almost everyone said they enjoyed a different spot. My favorite was Victoria on the Race2AK weekend. We also visited Friday Harbor, Sidney, Roche, Rosario, Jones Island, and Deer Harbor. One of our group liked Sidney the best, which was inexplicable to me because I saw nothing of interest. Next summer we're planning to venture farther North into the Gulf Islands on another charter.
We didn't sail much, because the winds were light. One of my considerations of sail vs. power is fuel consumption. The sailboats are nearly as fast but burn considerably less fuel.
We chose to charter in late May-early June because the schools are still in session and the ports less crowded. The weather was nice, but that's a gamble you take anywhere you go except Palm Springs. But the sailing is bad there.
Good luck with your decision.
Randy
flyairam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 15:16   #7

MDSDurango,
A couple more thoughts. On our first visit everyone told us to pay attention to the currents. We did, but in a dismissive way. We learned the hard way to not attempt Friday Harbor to Victoria against the flow! What's a 5 knot current when you're going 300 knots? But wait, we're not going 300 knots anymore, we're going 6 knots... To the point, if you don't mind spending $20 the PNW Current Atlas App is the best money you'll ever spend.
Again, good luck.
Randy
flyairam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 15:23   #8

Boat: Celestial 48

We had our old sailboat up in San Juan Islands are some years ago in July, August and half of September. Motored at least 80% of the time when on the move. If going with a group would go with a motor boat for more room, and again you will be motoring most of the time anyway. As someone mentioned, the tidal currents are something you have to take into account in serious way. And can't guess as to which way they flow, study the available tidal flow books or on-line info, the current flows have eddies all over and rarely flow the direction you would think.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 15:52   #9

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsdurango View Post
Some friends and I would like to charter in the San Juan Islands this year. I have some questions this forum might help me with;
As is typical, there are seasons with corresponding pricing. Is High Season truly the best time of year for cruising the San Juans? Or is a lower priced season just as satisfying?
Is there one itinerary in particular that should not be missed?
Should I consider a non sailing vessel?
What Charter Companies can be recommended?

These are my initial questions. I welcome other comments and suggestions involving any part of Chartering in the San Juans. Pro and con.
Thanks
In case you are not completely stuck on the San Juans, do check out some of the Canadian charter companies (Coopers, Nanaimo Yacht Charters, Desolation Sound Yacht Charters)... they all have good reps and the exchange rate will likely work in your favour and the scenery just keeps getting better the further north you go.

I am a huge proponent of early season cruising in the PNW. April-June will give you moderately better winds, enough sunshine and a completely transformed experience when it comes to anchorages and marinas. In exchange you will get rainy days, will be wearing a jacket most days and, unless you make it up to Desolation Sound, not be diving into the water.

I have done the Gulf Islands (next door to the San Juans) on a powerboat and a sailboat — they are generally two different experiences. A powerboat will give you multiple destinations in a day, an indoor helm for cooler days, a few more anchoring options and multi-hundred dollar fuel bill. Sailing is more about the journey, takes a bit more planning current-wise, warrants a good enclosure in the early/late season and is easier on the pocketbook.

With an unlimited budget for the San Juans/Gulf Islands, if I were chartering again, I might stick to a powerboat if I wanted to maximize the use of my time. But then again I get enough sailing these days that I wouldn't miss it. Either will be a great trip though. Decisions, decisions...
Old 15-01-2020, 16:04   #10

PNW currents. Check out what happens north of Roche Harbor in Spieden Channel!!!

DeepZoom Nautical Charts Tides and Currents
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 20:16   #11

I’ve really enjoyed sailing in January and February in the SGI. Which could also not be fun.
My recommendation for a charter would be the spring, from Easter on, outside the main holidays and busy seasons. Weather usual reasonably good.
Summer nice but light winds, busy high season every where.
Late summer fall nice again but fog can be an issue.

SGI is my home waters, the San Juan’s close by and visit regularly.
Easy navigation, Nice, sheltered, scenic, wild life, lots of choices for destinations the bright lights and flesh pots of Friday harbour or the quiet serenity anchored in marine parks as you prefer, all within an easy day sail,

Enjoy
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 23:38   #12

Boat: Mason 44

Dear Durango,
If you're coming all that distance on your first PNW Charter trip, then San Juans are a great place to start. Many great spots to drop a hook and enjoy your visit. San Juan Sailing out of Bellingham is a great charter operation and located close to the Islands. Summer, June through August is usually warm weather, clear skies but little wind.... If you're looking to sail then, April and May or September and October would be better months for you.
For your second trip out, I would suggest you consider heading north to the Canadian Gulf Islands, Sydney to Nanaimo, lots of great little spots to check out between the East Side of Vancouver Island and the West Side of the Strait of Georgia. For your third trip out.... the destinations are unlimited.
If you are new to our area, then you will need to get a copy of the the Waggoner Cruising guide (https://waggonerguide.com) which is the boaters guide to cruising in the PNW, really a very valuable website and book to have on board your boat. San Juan Sailing has a copy on each of their charter boats, but you should get one to read up and plan your trip in advance
Moonshine36

PS: I have a very knowledgable son in Durango working managing one of the Pine Needle Stores
Moonshine36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, san juan, san juan islands