Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2019, 14:25   #1

Boat: PDQ 44i
Free “Learn to Cruise” course, March 2020 in the Virgin Islands

Free “Learn to Cruise” course, March 2020 in the Virgin Islands
You crew. I teach. It's a win-win proposition

Volunteer crew wanted March 10 – 21, 2020, for a cruise out of St Thomas, USVI aboard S/V Seabbatical, a 44-foot, ocean-going, sailing catamaran.
Seabbatical is well-found and fitted out for offshore cruising. I hold a USCG 100-ton master license, for both power and sail.
(See http://rhumblineyachtsales.com/antares-listings/ for images of Antares catamarans.)

My wife and I have wintered aboard Seabbatical the last 10 winters in the Eastern Caribbean. I will be single-handed for about 12 days in March 2020, so I want to offer a live-aboard cruising experience for sailors motivated to learn and willing to crew.

Seabbatical is insured as a private yacht. You will be unpaid crew, and, I hope, friends. I do not carry passengers for hire. You will not pay me, but expenses of the voyage will be shared. We shall split food, moorings, customs and immigration fees and the like equitably. You will help to set our itinerary and leisure activities.

In exchange for your sharing the work of the boat, I will teach you to be a competent and safe cruiser, someone I can rely on. I would hope for a laid-back, vacation atmosphere with some amount of daily instruction, both didactic and practical.

We will visit several of the US, Spanish, and British Virgin Islands. A valid passport is required.

The successful applicants will be congenial, non-smoking, abstemious or very light drinking, non-drug-using, already-competent sailors or sailing couple(s) who hope to own or charter a cruising sailboat someday.

Send a private message (click on my name) with your sailing resume' (tell me about yourself, your sailing experience, and your hopes for future sailing) to “doublewide” at this forum if you are interested.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 13:40   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook
Re: Free “Learn to Cruise” course, March 2020 in the Virgin Islands

Sounds like a great deal.
CharlesFCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 13:45   #3

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

Wow, very cool. I'd certainly expect to contribute to costs, given the excellent opportunity to sail on "Seabbatical" with you. While I have a respectable amount of monohull experience, I have never been aboard a multi-hull - where as one sailor put it "when you reach for your coffee cup, it's still right where you put it". Will PM.
softgoodsint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:20   #4

Boat: 26’ Northstar

I’m very interested but since I’m new to Cruisersforum they will not allow me to send you a pm.

Could you contact me?

Thanks
ManBeast2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 14:25   #5

I am unable to send you a private message as a new user so I'll post my information here.

Hello,

My name is Vincent Hollingsworth and I'm very interested in the crew position for March. First off I want to say this is an amazing opportunity and I appreciate your willingness to pass it on.

A little about me, I'm 32 years old married and have an 8-year-old son. We live in Bend, Oregon and enjoy the outdoors immensely. I work for the City of Bend as a firefighter/Paramedic and have for the last 6 years.

Learning to sail has always been a dream of mine and thankfully two years ago I was able to do a learn and cruise for 7 days in the San Juans. I followed the course up with an 11 day trip to the BVI's last January on a bareboat 42-foot catamaran. The trip was a huge success and has totally changed my family's lives. We have a plan to transition our lives to living on a sailboat fulltime while our son is still young. To accomplish this goal will take many steps for us, but what I believe to be the most important is experience and time on the water. With that in mind, I do have lots of experience operating powerboats on near coastal waters as well as lakes and rivers.

I would be happy to provide references and my previous sailing Instructor's contact information along with any other information you would like. Feel free to give me a call or email at any time.

Thank You

Vincent Hollingsworth
503 929 2712
hollingsworth.vince@yahoo.com
Vince32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 15:48   #6

Boat: 26’ Northstar

Hi,

My name is Stephen, I’m 56 and I live in London, Ontario, Canada. I’ve been sailing since 1992. I’ve completed the ASA 101, 103, 104, 105 and 106. I currently own a 26’ Northstar which I sail on Lake Erie.

I’m congenial, a non-smoker, a light drinker, physically fit and a non-drug-user. I have experience on most boat systems. My boat is on the hard from October to May so I’m fixing for a sail. I have very little sailing experience on a multihull, one week voyage on a 52’ trimaran. I completed ASA 106 out of Red Hook and I enjoyed the USVI and the BVI sailing.

I’m available for the dates you indicated, March 10-21st. In need to be back in Canada for March 23rd.

Thanks

Stephen

saubut@hotmail.com
ManBeast2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 18:21   #7

Boat: PDQ 44i

The crew position has been filled. Thanks to those who replied.
Doublewide
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, cruise, Virgin Islands