Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2019, 01:53   #1

Boat: Nordic 40
Aspiring Cruiser Seeks Input on his "Plan"

Hi All,

After almost a year of planning and research my girlfriend and I are finally in a position where we (think) we're ready to go cruising. Given our limited experience, I thought it might be best to share with the community for your perspective. A little background for context.

Sailing Experience

We're both relatively new to cruising with most of our experience coming from RYA courses in the Solent. (It's how we met ) I've logged about 500nm over 17 days aboard and earned the "Costal Skipper" qualification from the RYA, over the past year. She has a similar amount of experience and we have another 7 day RYA trip planned next week. So we're new, but not clueless and learning!

Income & Money

We've both spent the better part of the past year reorienting our lives so that we have more freedom, work fewer hours and can earn income remotely. Given the recent adjustment I feel confident we can earn $60-80k a year from part time remote work (not YouTube, not Patreon)

Cruising Goals

I've grown up on the east coast of the US and would love to spend some time cruising in New England and Maine and eventually Nova Scotia. I would say we're both more suited to temperate climates (less tropical) but will definitely spend some time in the tropics (more Caribbean, less Bahamas). Our goal is to eventually do an ARC crossing to Europe but we realize we'll need to work our way up. Our thinking is 2-5 years of live-aboard cruising, assuming everything goes well.

Prospective Boat Criteria

Considering our cruising plans, we've narrowed our search down to fixed keel, moderate displacement, lates 80's, ocean crossing mono hulls, that I can stand in 6'2"+. The boats that are on my short list are as follows:
  • Nordic 40
  • Passport 40
  • Najad 390
  • HR 38

Boat Purchase and Refit - Budget:

IDEALLY the boat purchase would be less between 50-60k and our overall budget would be closer to 80k all in with the another 20k for refit. Which realistically cuts our list down to the Nordic 40, which from the listings I've seen is more in the our budget. Although I'm open to other suggestions! As it so happens there appears to be one for sale not far from where I live in New York...

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...owse%20listing

FINALLY - The Plan

Head back to New York (currently in Paris) have a look at the boat in person. Make an offer(???) Have the boat surveyed. Assuming it's not a disater, settle on a price. Buy the boat. Haul out and begin working on refit from Oct - March/April. Not sure if it's realistic to be expecting to continue working on the boat through the winter in New England. We'll see!

Once the refit is complete we do a shake down sail, get a little more experience with some longer trips and head out in the summer / fall of 2020?

So that's the Plan! If nothing else getting this in writing has been incredibly helpful. If you're still reading, I appreciate your time and attention.

If you are compelled to tell me what you think of my plan AND provide some constructive feedback, I would be forever grateful and welcome whatever advice I can get.

toms-gonesailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:16   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Aspiring Cruiser Seeks Input on his "Plan"

Hi and welcome to CF

If you are currently in Paris and seem to have few ties, why are you not looking at yachts in Europe. For example, the Southampton Boat Show starts shortly. What all the brokers do nearby is also run second hand boats shows particularly on the River Hamble at the same time. End of season bargain perhaps? and do the refit in a country you can work on during the winter.

There is also the rest of NW Europe to consider:

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1...owse%20listing

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1...nced%20listing

Actually, your problem is one of too much choice
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:42   #3

Thanks Pete!

Funny you mention, we're actually going our week long coastal cruise out of Hamble the week before and the boat show and then planning on sticking around for the extra day for the used boat show.

Also funny that you sent me this link

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1...owse%20listing

I saw this boat when it was on auction and went up to the Netherlands to check it out in person but after taking a look over it definitely needed a lot of work and I'm looking for a boat that needs some work but getting my self into a teak deck replacement felt like a lot.. Also if I do my refit in New York I'll have a place to stay while I'm working on the refit.

And yes maybe too much choice...

Thanks for your input!
Old 04-09-2019, 03:54   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cheeky offer on this then when you get back. Good draft for Bahamas and EU canals in the future.

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2...dard%20listing

You never know, winter coming, storage costs mounting......

Pete
Old 04-09-2019, 04:06   #5

Good shout. Definitely one worth considering. My research has lead me to steer away from spade rudders for long range cruising but it's hard not be tempted by some of these newer especially in that range.

Also having cash in USD and waiting to see what happens to the pound in the next couple months, things could get uh more affordable... :-/
Old 04-09-2019, 04:14   #6

Boat: Vancouver 27

Your plan sounds a good one, especially if you guys can muster 60-80k/yr from the boat. Internet is pretty ubiquitous from some pretty far-flung places in the caribbean, so staying connected from the boat, esp when aided by a cell booster, can be pretty feasible. Bring an unlocked cell phone or hot spot, and have a backup device if you're relying on it for livelihood. Data is often cheaper in less developed countries.

Watch out for schedules. Project based work that has finite start and end dates is the jam, as you can strike the computer, hoist the sails, and go get lost for a while. If you want to cruise remote places and need to stay connected, there are cheap sat-based devices that can send you racing back to 'civilization' when you need to plug back in.

Can't give you much input on your boat of choice, other than to say that the one you linked to looks great in the pictures. As Pete said, you're spoilt for choice, and it's a personal one. If the boat checks your boxes, checks out, and feels like a home to you guys, well damn there you go.

Finally, don't spend too much time in refit mode getting every little thing just right in a boatyard. Cover your bases, go sail, and accessorize as needed along the way. The biggest mistake I made early on was prepping the boat for the apocalypse while also working a full time remote job. Not a recipe for fun!

Cheers and godspeed!

P.S. the bahamas are still my favorite..don't pass them up!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:25   #7

Boat: Volkscruiser

I would’nt worry about spade rudders not being any good for offshore sailing. Plenty and I mean plenty of yachts I have surveyed have spade rudders and have done circumnavigations or extensive offshore voyaging with no problems at all.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:28   #8

Thanks Laika!

Really appreciate your input and glad to have your vote of confidence

Connectivity is going to definitely be an important consideration. Which is part of the reason We're thinking about spending the 1st year near coastal US to keep us in cell "hot spot range" Maybe need add a signal booster as an improvement.

Definitely take to heart the advice to not getting every little thing right in the boat yard. The boat we're considering appears to be already equipped with some good cruising kit so that's a plus. I think the refit would be more focused on making sure the systems we have are functioning properly and do whatever yardwork is necessary before we head out. Not outfitting any new systems.

Just trying to keep it simple and be safe

Thanks again!
Old 04-09-2019, 04:40   #9

Yes, You're right I shouldn't be be so rigid about rudders
Old 04-09-2019, 04:43   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms-gonesailin View Post
Good shout. Definitely one worth considering. My research has lead me to steer away from spade rudders for long range cruising but it's hard not be tempted by some of these newer especially in that range.

Also having cash in USD and waiting to see what happens to the pound in the next couple months, things could get uh more affordable... :-/
The Moodys tend to be half skeg hung rudders with a small portion forward of the shaft to give some balance.

Agreed the 'pound' has taken a hammering with Brexit, probably bounce back once we are free. Euro not looking great either with Germany production figures dropping like a stone.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pound.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	199174  
Old 04-09-2019, 04:52   #11

Ah good point, I hadn't noticed that they we're half skeg. I'll definitely give Moody another look. You definitely get more boat for your money. USD or GBP!
Old 04-09-2019, 05:09   #12

Does anyone have feedback on disparate electrical systems 220v/50hz (much of EUR) vs 120v 60hz (US)? How much hassle is there in buying a EUR boat with 220v but cruising primarily in North America (or vice versa)? Would think conversion would be impractical, even on a relatively small system such as an older 40-foot boat. Thoughts?
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:17   #13
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

seriously .. if you are paying 60K for a passport 40 .. plan on spending a lot of time and money on maintenance and improvement. most of what I see out there is twice that amount. just saying.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:18   #14

Boat: Cal 33-2

If your plans are to cruise New England for a few years, buy the boat there. With your budget and the size boat you want, you are looking at older boats. Don't limit your choices too much. Lost of boats out there can do what you propose.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:23   #15

Yeah I know Passport 40's start at basically 100k.

Which is why we're looking at the Nordic 40. From what I've read the Nordic 40 seems to be similarly well built and respected Perry design with lots of positive feedback from owners as well as the man himself.

Tags
cruise, cruiser, nordic, nordic 40, passport 40