Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 15:00   #1

Boat: Seawind 1000 XL2
Good Anchorages in SF Bay

Hey there!

Wife and I are at Berkeley Marina but we want to spend the next month cruising around the bay, at anchor as much as possible. We don't have a liveaboard slip, so we can't spend more than 3 days a week at the marina (we also don't want to). Also, we're new-ish (1y) to California and the Bay area.

What are overnight anchorages would you recommend that are in the Bay or nearby? We plan on hoping around every day or every couple days. We're also considering taking a look at Drake's Bay and maybe Ano Nuevo. My favorite anchorage so far on the west coast has been San Simeon, so if someone knows of similar places, let us know!
Old 11-07-2019, 00:58   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Good Anchorages in SF Bay

Not really that many. Aquatic Park is good. If you remind me, I can dig up some details on access there. Also, if you're interested in going up to Drakes Bay, then you should also not miss Half Moon Bay. A big group sails up each year for Memorial Day Weekend.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:54   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Mc Nears Beach just past San Rafael.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:09   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

You might want to click over to ActiveCaptain.com and register (free) after which you can use the "map" page to view the Bay Area and prospective anchorages (with reviews). One possibility also is a trip up through the Delta, toward Sacramento, which has a number of good/interesting anchorages.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:10   #5

Since you have been as far south as San Simeon, if you go south again you can anchor in Pillar point,(muddy bottom) Ano Nuevo (windy and a bit spooky), Santa Cruz, use a stern hook to keep from rolling all night, just east of the pier in Monterey (stern hook helps ) around Point Lobos into Carmel bay there is a small cove called Stillwater Cove (draft may limit your boat) that is right on the 17 mile drive. The people on shore were not friendly at all but it was beautiful. Around Point Sur a few miles is Pfiefer (sp?) cove which is my favorite on the coast. Other than Pillar Point which is inside of a breakwater, all of these depend on decent weather and NW winds. If the wind swings around to the SW, you bail out and go somewhere else. Good Luck and have fun. Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:21   #6

Reference link to article discussing anchorages in S.F. Bay.

http://https://boatingsf.com/places/anchorages/

Aquatic Park
Belvedere Cove
Central Basin
China Basin
China Cove
Clipper Cove
Downtown Sausalito Anchorage
East Garrison
Horseshoe Cove
Paradise Cove
Point Stuart Anchorage
Quarry Beach
Richardson Bay Anchorage

Note each anchorage has its own unique rules as to length of stay, for example I believe the Sausalito anchorage no longer allows overnight usage.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:19   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Clipper Cove by the Bay Bridge offers the very good protection. It's good for a few days. Needs a permit from Treasure Island, available online.

Mcnears beach/ China Camp, located on the west side of San Pablo Bay, is a nice quiet Anchorage. Free, No permit required. It can get a little choppy in the afternoon, but not too bad. Avoid if winds from North or east.

Paradise Cove is not too bad on the east side of Tiburon. The ferry wakes are a problem there though. Free.

Aquatic Park is okay, you have to watch out for all the swimmers in the water when entering it. You also feel like you're in a fishbowl with all the people walking on the Pier. I think there's a fee for that now too.

Richardson Bay near cone Rock, that is away from the anchor outs, it's quite pleasant as well. Free.

Argyll Cove at Angel Island has mooring balls where you can stay at overnight. They also have daytime Docks. Both require Fee.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:09   #8

Sorry bad link,

https://boatingsf.com/san-francisco-bay-anchorages/
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:12   #9

Boat: DownEaster 38

There is a good book called Cruising Guide to San Francisco Bay by Carolyn and Bob Mehaffy. They show all the possibilities with photos and charts.
Lots of good suggestions already, but I'd add: Angel Island and Sausalito. Ayala Cove on Angel Island has fixed mooring buoys, but they charge. There are good anchorages on the east side, but you have to watch the wind. You can anchor in Sausalito opposite the Spinnaker restaurant, on the north side of the channel. Have a great time!
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:23   #10

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

If you are going as far as Drakes Bay you might go a bit further and check out Tomales bay. You have to keep a sharp eye out as the entrance is narrow but the entire bay is protected and has good holding ground in the small nooks on the north east side
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 15:11   #11

Boat: Freedom 30

Just completed two overnights at China Camp. I have anchored here for years.

I draw 5 feet. One night I came in from the Gate, the other came up from Carquinez.

Pretty typical visits. Kinda rough in 10kts even behind some protection. Not at all dangerous but a bit uncomfortable until the ferries shut down and the wind follows suit around 21 to 2200. Then it can be heaven until 0700 or so until ferries start back up.

I really like it though. I anchor in about 10 feet of water (mind the tide state) and I drop my 50 foot shot of chain and a CQR and I am as secure as I can be. Even if you drag. You have a lots of real estate to recover in. Usually not much of an overnight crowd to worry about. Maybe three boats in a big space.

I want to try paradise cove. It is closer to my racing starts and looks really nice. Does not seem to be any more exposed than China Camp although there is more ferry traffic and they are closer in too.

I am going to give Paradise a try in October.
wmcunninghamii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 04:52   #12

Boat: Sirius 35DS

As posted above, Aquatic park does have a fee and is a fishbowl (although the pedestrian dock is now closed for repairs, improving privacy). It is also the most protected anchorage with deep water and good holding in the bay, and has very easy access to land through the beach. Only sailboats under 40' and only a limited number of nights with reservations. It is a fun touristy spot to anchor and is my go-to hole in bad weather.

Clipper Cove on Treasure Island is well protected but has an unmarked underwater sandbar across the entrance. You have to hug the northern edge right along the wall to make it through even at high tide.

I recently spent the night at Paradise cove in a system gusting to about 20 kts of wind through of the night (often there is only wind in the afternoon in the Bay). A few notes about that spot:

- Very private and free. The shore is undeveloped except for a handful of mansions. Blissfully dark at night on all sides.
- Not entirely protected from strong East wind! If you get just the wrong direction, the wind comes right down that hill that you think you're in the lee of. You are well protected from the waves, though.
- The preferred spot seems to be the southern edge of the cove, which is often taken early
- The remains of an old pier poking out into the cove can be underwater at high tide
- There are barge mooring balls that are unmarked, unlit, and dark. Be sure to anchor in daylight and think about where you'll swing.
- Grassy bottom can be hard to get holding on
morgan3d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages, sf bay