Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2016, 09:39   #1

Boat: 1973 Morgan OI 41'
Electronics refit on Morgan OI 41'

Hello forum users,

I have been bareboat sailing for the last 10 years or so but generally do this through charter companies, so I am no expert on maintenance or wiring of marine boats.

I just purchased a 1973 Morgan OI 41' on the west coast of Florida and plan to sail it to the east coast sometime in January to give me quicker access to the islands.

As you might expect, this '73 boat is in need of multiple repairs and cosmetic upgrades. The most concerning of these to me is the electrical system. Over the last 15 years, this boat had had some strange wiring done for which I have no schematic to use for troubleshooting. It also has a fuse panel, no breaker panel, 15+ year old GPS, vhf, autopilot, and radar (Furuno dome and console). My surveyor could not completely verify these instruments are working due to potential disconnected wires to antennas etc.

Due to my lack of knowledge about marine electrics, I am considering having a licensed electrician redo all wiring on this boat. Currently, the bilge pump and blower will not work which is probably a wiring issue. On the upshot, I do have excellent main sail, jibs, spinnaker, and a well running perkins 4-108 with low hours. I also have a pretty good Navionics app on my iPad for the initial cruise to the east coast.

So finally to my question - would sailors experienced with this type work just strip out the 15 year old instruments and replace with a single console gps, plotter, and radar? I've seen combo units by Garmin and Raymarine for around $1200 on line. If so, any input you may have on particular brands or features would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Paul
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics, morgan, refit