Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 12:51   #16

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'
Re: Over 30 feet Trimaran in Texas

Searunner 25- trailable camp cruiser. Searunner 31- demountable, can be trailed but you'd have to get a trailer made. In the old days people made 2 trips, the main hull on one the amas on another.
There are a couple of Dick Newick designs for trailering . The Somersault 26 which was demountable but easy to do and the Argonauta which had amas that swung in, a forward cockpit and a aft cabin that reminded me of the conastoga wagon approach.Newick boats tend to be fast, beautiful but less roomy. For the Vintage crowd the 70's version of the Telstar are neat boats and much less expensive.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 13:06   #17

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

31' Corsair just listed today in New Joisy. Photos of it on the trailer. $99,000
Trimaran 2001 Corsair F31 Trimaran For Sale
Old 07-02-2012, 13:17   #18

The Searunner group site under the builders section just apparated on my computer, there are people there with the different models if you wanted to contact anyone with questions about their experiences. I first talked to Jim Brown some years ago about surveying the boats and over the phone he left me with a 2 page list, the Marples' version on Outrig.org applies to all multihulls for those shopping.
Old 07-02-2012, 13:48   #19

Boat: 44 CC Marples design trimaran

Not that it's exactly trailerable, but I'm building a Constant Camber 44 in Texas City, and the cabin layout and rig are all pure Searunner-updated, new and improved by John Marples. It's just 20 miles south of Kemah and easy to get to. The Searunner design features are, in my never humble opinion, one of the best layouts for family travel and cruising. If you have a free afternoon, y'all come on down. We're on the hard, but soon to be sailing.
http://phantomboatworks.shutterfly.com/
PhantomBoatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 13:53   #20

I almost forgot about these guys:

Texas_Multihulls : Texas Offshore Multihull Association

TOMA, ergo Texas Offshore Multihull Association, probably a good hookup for ya
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 16:37   #21

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Thanks y'all
We are totally curious for a peek at a cruising tri :-)
Thanks for the help
E
Old 07-01-2013, 12:25   #22

Boat: Sea Ray 440 Aft Cabin

HapaPops,

I just bought a Contour 30 MKII. Do you still have your 34? I would like to network with other Contour owners...

One question, does anyone step their own masts (without a crane), and if so, how is it done. I didn't get any equipment or directions for doing so. Had a Corsair F27 before, and that was straightforward.

Allan
awsmits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:37   #23

Re: Over 30 Feet Trimaran in Texas

Hi Allan, I don't have the contour anymore. There is a Contour Yahoo list, and while it says Contour 34, it includes contour 30 owners.

I believe on the 34 you can use the boom as a gin pole, and the mainsheet to provide the motive force to lift the mast. The only 2 times mine moved up or down, was by crane.

Greg
HapaPops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:58   #24

Boat: Sea Ray 440 Aft Cabin

Perfect, Greg. I'll search for the Yahoo group.

Thank so much,
Allan
awsmits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 13:16   #25

I step the mast on the Nicol with the boom but there are things to do first. I have the mast step set up with a pivot bolt through a heel added on to the base of the mast but I step raising the mast forward and turn my boom fitting around which wouldn't be possible on a aluminum stick.. Stepping the mast towards the stern the pivot ears would have to be welded on to the front of the mast with the deck plate holding the bolt, modified if need be. The idea behind everything is to keep it from getting away from you. the mast and the boom need to be guyed with tackle and adjusted as you raise. if you raise forward the backstay should be hooked up and if raising towards the stern the forestay should be rigged so the whole thing doesn't keep on going. I also think the mainsheet tackle should be led to a winch for extra power and control. Rigged this way I've done the job solo without problem, remember to cleat off securely before adjusting the guys, watch the side stays which should be rigged, for fouling and go slow. Another version is to use a A-frame of 2 spinnaker poles or similar instead of the boom with the ends on the deck each side of the mast letting you eliminate a set of guys. I've got a picture somewhere I'll try to find. If it seems a hassle the crane does the job with less sweat but more bread.
Old 07-01-2013, 14:18   #26

Going up.

I use a tree for the rustic look in the boondocks. Make sure everything can handle the loads and don't use jam or cam cleats on anything. And my lawyer says I'm speaking hypothetically and would never suggest any of this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K7A1B04BFD6CCF_1000000.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	428.3 KB
ID:	52348  

Tags
texas, trimaran