Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2018, 22:54   #1

What to look for in a new boat with a 2 year old

I’m looking at buying a boat which we will spend extended periods on. We are a family of three with a young daughter who is soon turning 2 years old.
We look at cruising the med at first but I would be handling some offshore sailing with crew as we move the boat around the world.

I’m looking for some feedback on what to look out for in a boat with my daughter in mind. Are center cockpits a safer option with this very independent little girl?

I have a budget of €60,000 with another €10k for any equipment, improvements or repairs needed.

Would love to hear your opinions as I’ve trolled every single site with boats for sale and have a few favorites in mind but am torn between an older and better built over a more comfortable newer boat.

Thanks for your time
Danmlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 23:01   #2

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch
Re: What to look for in a new boat with a 2 year old

Older boats are not necessarily better built.

With a two year old, I would go for a boat with good motion comfort.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 23:04   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Danmlt,

Always choose better quality. What looks new and comfortable, looks nice, but especially if you're traveling with a small child, the older types of monohulls, with handholds everywhere, and easy to put netting on. They are, imo, safer than the newer, more flash yachts, due to differences in the construction techniques.

You'll need a spot where you can quarantine your daughter where she will be safe, when both of you adults will have to be on deck together. You'll have to teach her to stay there till you come get her. The "terrible twos" don't last forever, and she will become more amenable to instruction *soon*.

It will depend on the vessel you choose, of course, but IMO, you have not enough planned for upgrades, so you may have to lower your purchase price expectations, to provide for the upgrades.

Ann
Old 18-11-2018, 12:56   #4

Boat: Bayliner, 4588, 45'

A full time Nanny
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 19:30   #5

Boat: Tom Colvin Doxy 41
What to look for in a new boat with a 2 year old

High bulwarks, big side decks, deep cockpit, good motion comfort, high lee BOARDS on bunks, stove that is no too easily gotten to. And low seating for toilet. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1348.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	196797
kristjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 19:32   #6

Boat: Tom Colvin Doxy 41

She’s 4 now and #2 is 11 months.
kristjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 20:57   #7

We're cruising around with a 1 year old and almost 3 year old. The best thing I've done towards baby proofing was build a fully enclosed dodger it made a huge difference being able to have them in the cockpit but not strapped in. I also added a hard top rail on our stanchions and added an additional lifeline about 5" off the deck And netting around 100% of the boat.

Pad eyes on either end of every seat or couch allows us to use a ratchet straps to strap down their chairs in any location.

X2 on the safety zone for when things are getting crazy . The kids room is the smallest room with nothing to fly around in case of a rollover
Islander53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat