Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2018, 17:33   #1

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
What Sailing Strategies Do Crews Argue About Most?

I haven’t spent much time on any other boats, nor do I usually have experienced crew on board to discuss sailing... so I feel at any given time I could be doing something slightly better or at least trying something different. It could be for speed/safety/comfort sake, but since I only have my limited experience, I wonder about what things often get debated between captain and crew when it comes to sailing.

Some of the topics I wonder about...
- Sail trim
- VMG
- Comfort vs speed
- Sailing vs motor sailing
- Where to anchor
- Weather forecasts
- Genoa or Spinnaker per conditions
- How close to traverse land
- etc.

Basically what do you find yourself debating with experienced sailors when making decisions in the moment, not at the pub or here on CF, but actual conversations and decisions made in the act/moment.

Thanks,
austin

theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 17:52   #2

Re: What Sailing Strategies Do Crews Argue About Most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
I haven’t spent much time on any other boats, nor do I usually have experienced crew on board to discuss sailing... so I feel at any given time I could be doing something slightly better or at least trying something different. It could be for speed/safety/comfort sake, but since I only have my limited experience, I wonder about what things often get debated between captain and crew when it comes to sailing.

- Sail trim
- VMG
- Comfort vs speed
- Where to anchor
- Weather forecasts
- etc.

Basically what do you find yourself debating with experienced sailors when making decisions in the moment, not at the pub or here on CF, but actual conversations and decisions made in the act/moment.

Thanks,
austin

This might be a simple question of semantics, but those topics are "discussed" on any boat I am on, never debated. The Captain ALWAYS makes the final decision. If it is my boat, that is me, if it is your boat, it is (probably) you.

All those topics can be, and have been, discussed on my boat. (Including my favorite: "etc")

The mark of a good crew (and a good Captain!) is such discussions can happen without turning into debates. As crew, the best approach with any reasonable Captain is to ask questions, "What do you see coming in the weather forecast?" "How do you decide on when to douse the spinnaker?" As Captain, the best approach is to listen to every concern and either accept it as a valid issue and act or explain why you think your preferred course of action is better.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 19:02   #3

Leaving the seat up or down in the head is #1 LOL! #2 is whether to reef the Main or change the headsail! #3 would be who takes the night watch, or mid watch, if 3 crew are sailing LOL! I could go on and on because after 175,000 offshore miles nothing really changes LOL! Now if you' re discussing what comes out of the galley, well that's 'serious business at Sea' LOL
Old 19-10-2018, 19:11   #4

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA

Maybe another way to ask this question is what sailing strategies are frequently discussed when a specific action is going to be the result. It’s one thing to debate which anchor is the best or how much scope to use while sitting on my couch. But what real world conversation are happening on boats with experienced sailors about plans/actions? Or does the captain just give orders from his prior experience?

theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 21:07   #5

You seem to be asking questions that would be better answered by crewing on a few different size boats doing casual racing on the Bay. You will observe your questions while getting some sailing in and sitting on the rail.

Offshore sailing tactics are usually discussed very briefly, in my case, because I personally just want to accomplish the evolution safely and return to the cockpit. Generally agreed upon procedures, sailing directions or routes are followed, any deviations are either weather related or medically related. Sail changes are done with best boat speed for comfort aboard cruising vessels, racing you are at max every chance you get....it's a race lol!
Old 19-10-2018, 23:20   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

theway,

Sorry, not sure if this is the answer you're wanting to hear, but it has almost become a joke for Jim and me. This boat has a proper spinnaker, you can see it in Jim's avatar. He took that pic as a birthday pressie for me, and we have one with spinnaker from each boat we've sailed on together, that belonged to us.

Now, the spinnaker is a used kite from a Santa Cruz 50, courtesy the previous owner, and serviced by us -- note, our boat is fractional rigged 46 ft. -- and it has sail area appropriate to its size. Our most frequent discussion is shall we fly the spinnaker. This is mostly because the spinnaker can ruin an otherwise beautiful afternoon, and yet, on some points of sail, is the only sail that will move the boat without the engine. As a result, as there are but two of us, the answer hinges on how vigorous we happen to feel at the moment, and how close is our destination anchorage, and a multitude of other variables.

Cheers, mate, they never promised US a rose garden, either.

Ann
Old 19-10-2018, 23:28   #7

Boat: Hanse 531

I remember one frequent point of discussion while going upwind through narrow channels: how close to the shore is it safe to go before we tack again

VMG, when to reef, who should go in and prepare something to eat if seas are rough and everyone would rather stay outside ...
Old 20-10-2018, 04:14   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What Sailing Strategies Do Crews Argue About Most?

I never argue when sailing the boat regarding its working..
Thats what Religion and Politics are for...
L I'm the skipper.. I've the responsibility so I will sail as I choose.. "No I dont want to shake out that reef and go faster... Bog Off..!!!".

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 08:20   #9

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Oh anchoring for sure
Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 08:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
L I'm the skipper.. I've the responsibility so I will sail as I choose.. "No I dont want to shake out that reef and go faster... Bog Off..!!!".
LOL Phil! Like I said after enough miles out there very little needs to be 'voted on' as the Captain's vote pretty much is the route to take to avoid mutiny. Input is fine from the crew but in general it's the voice of experience, ie Captain's, that is most often heard aboard.

Hope you are in good health and spirits in hand wherever you are Phil, regards Gene.
Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 08:55   #11

Boat: Pearson

The only debate I know of is what we are eating,unless we caught or speared fresh fish, then that a given😋😎
Old 20-10-2018, 08:58   #12

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post

- Sail trim
- VMG
- Comfort vs speed
- Where to anchor
- Weather forecasts
- etc.

Thanks,
austin

Doesn't matter what the crew of scurvy dogs argue about, as long as they keep it quiet and don't bother the captain!
LOL.
PS: just hope my wife doesn't read this.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 09:32   #13

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
This about sums it up on our boat. There's one captain. Everyone else can make their case (just once please) and then "The Decider" will speak....

If the skipper's a good one (which is the case on our boat) it's not really an issue. If by "debate" you mean discussing different scenarios in order to learn more - well that's positively endless boyo...
Old 20-10-2018, 09:39   #14

Boat: Ericson 35 Mark III

On my boat the most hotly discussed item is whether the wisker pole is jaws up or jaws down.
Old 20-10-2018, 10:28   #15

Singlehanders have a different answer to this.

Like when I ran my own one man business for a couple of decades: "The staff is lazy and the boss is a jerk!"
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, sail, sailing