Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2018, 16:15   #1

Hypothetical learning situation

I'm landlocked for a couple more years. Sailing whenever possible and chipping away at classes.

I figure learning diesel maintenance is on my list. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but not master.

Scenario:
I came across a marine Perkins 4-107 for $400 on a pallet in Houston. Obviously it needs to be rebuilt. Seems like an interesting project to rebuild in my garage.

Question:
Would it be worth it to buy it and rebuild it in effort to learn diesel mechanics?
How many ancillary parts would have to come with the motor to make it worth while? For example, if it doesn't come with an instrument panel, would it be worth it?

Tried to search the forums for this question and couldn't find anything.
fschaefer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 17:02   #2

Re: Hypothetical learning situation

I think your time and money will be better spent by attending diesel classes in a local community college, or somewhere like that. Then if you want to tackle an engine rebuild you will be much more prepared.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 17:51   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Have to agree with Doug. Rebuilding an engine is very different than maintaining one. If you break down somewhere trouble shooting and repairing the engine is a very different skill set.

If you just want an engine for a boat with a blown one it might be worthwhile. I would be concerned that all the main parts are there: injector pump, fresh and raw water pumps, manifolds, heat exchangers. Those can be much more expensive than a panel.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 13:08   #4

Message received. Just signed up for the prereq for the diesel class. I have to take automotive technology and automotive electrical systems before I can take advanced diesel maintenance and troubleshooting.

Should be interesting. Gawd knows I could use some insights on electrical systems.
Old 04-04-2018, 19:40   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Dissenting point of view

When you say learning diesel maintenance, you have to distinguish between scheduled maintenance and unscheduled maintenance i.e. learning how to check, change and adjust various aspects of the engine (scheduled) and fixing stuff that unexpectedly stopped working (unscheduled).

The first is pretty easy and not hard to pick up, the second can be tricky and having a sound knowledge of all the components of an engine and their functions can be tremendously helpful.

I don't know a better way of knowing what each and every bit of an engine is than pulling one down completely and then rebuilding it to proper tolerances. You also get to learn how to read the service manual!

The Perkins is a good engine to practice on, plenty of after market parts that doesn't cost a fortune and plenty of advice around. You will get used to sourcing generic parts from different sources and in general become familiar with every aspect of a diesel engine.

Whether it is cost effective is hard to say, depends on your individual circumstances and what you hope to achieve in your learning curve. However if you do it right and have a saleable engine at the end, you might even break even.

There are any number of Perkins experts on CF (BTW, I'm not one of them) and you will get good guidance here.

If you have the room, time (and money), I'd say go for it.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 19:44   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fschaefer4 View Post

Should be interesting. Gawd knows I could use some insights on electrical systems.
Even building up a wiring harness and panel for the Perkins would be a good learning process. They are simple to those who know basic electrical circuits and while perhaps daunting to those who don't, it is not that hard to learn to make a simple wiring harness.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 14:51   #7

Well I've started my class. It's auto 101 at the local Austin Community College. It's a prerequisite to get to diesels, so I'm happy to take it. My initial impression? Damn I'm old.

I will say age has it's benefits. Tests are easy, studying is fun, I have money for tuition and things like safety glasses. This is a far cry from my college days. Studying for a degree in finance was a lot harder. But then everything is harder when you're hung over, working 2 jobs, trying to chase girls and are in a general state of 20-something dumb-assery. The kids in my class are great... except for that one know-it-all guy.

The most frustrating part is the teacher is slow as molasses in winter. But he's a good guy as well.

Next up, auto electric. I was told after that class I would be able to trouble shoot almost any electrical problems and build a decent wiring harness. Gawd knows I have plenty of motorcycles lying around that I can practice on.

While diesel is 2 semesters away, I'm brushing up on basics and learning some stuff on the way. Hopefully I'll have something decent to report.

AND, next weekend my girlfriend and I are going to take an ASA docking class in Kemah Texas.

@Wotname- I like your approach. However, time and space are at a premium these days. I just moved into a new house and the garage is a disaster. I'll get it cleaned out pretty soon here. One problem is all these damn motorcycles...

Thanks for your comments guys. This is an incredible resource.

Tags
cal, learning