Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2019, 08:59   #1

Newbie needs fiberglass deck cleaning recommendations

Thanks, after a search, maybe wrong thread place... I need help finding exterior deck cleaning that is safe for the environment. We have dolphins and manatees in our marina.

Yes I am new to this, but I trust my fellow cruisers more than what manufactures say. Please help with some solutions It's fiberglass.

The deck has no real stains, only algae, water stains, from lack of care. Please no environment debates, just want the easiest and safest for marine life please and thank you all so much.
nimbex1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 09:33   #2

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50
Re: Newbie needs fiberglass deck cleaning recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbex1970 View Post
Thanks, after a search, maybe wrong thread place... I need help finding exterior deck cleaning that is safe for the environment. We have dolphins and manatees in our marina.

Yes I am new to this, but I trust my fellow cruisers more than what manufactures say. Please help with some solutions It's fiberglass.

The deck has no real stains, only algae, water stains, from lack of care. Please no environment debates, just want the easiest and safest for marine life please and thank you all so much.

I have had good success with Simple Green. Advertised as non-toxic and biodegradable.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 09:39   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Dawn kitchen dish soap and a stiff brush. The brush is important, but you don't need any harsh or harmful chemicals for this job.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 10:22   #4

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

+1 for Simple Green
Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 10:29   #5

Boat: 1987 Ericson 38-200

Ive had great luck with a polish like nu finish and a bristle scrub brush before. Also restores the shine...
drewm3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 08:47   #6

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

oxalic Acid in diluted form ,will be ok as it is an organic acid and will dilute with the water no problems at all and will not effect any flora or fauna unless you decide to pump the whole marina with it
Water is unique in that in can dilute and spread and disperse other solutions easily , but it is always good to use natural products
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 09:02   #7

Simple Green and a high quality scrub brush.
ras1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 09:20   #8

Simple green is basically a 1% citric acid cleanser that has to be the most environmentally friendly cleaner one can buy for the job. For tougher stains look for a citric Acid based hand cleaner that contains pumice to rub out the tough stuff. Finally 3M makes a great product for cleaning up oxidized gelcoat with very little wax in it called 3M™ Marine Compound and Finishing Material. Its white in color and contains fine calcium dust as an abrasive "Same as found in tooth paste" that will restore a lot of the oxidation without making the surface slippery like a wax.
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 09:36   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I also use Simple Green and I took a 2-3 inch round dish brush with a wooden backing and plastic bristles. I removed the handle and set an 8mm drill bit into the back of the brush, not drilling through the wood, just so the bit was about 1/2 deep, I epoxied the bit into the back of the brush and then as this bit has a hexagon end that fits my battery powered electric screwdriver, I can easily scrub textured cabin soles and my deck before I covered it with Flexiteek. If the bit is epoxied into the back of the brush, one can reverse the brush to keep the bristles from having a memory.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 15:41   #10

Dawn and other soaps like it remove wax. onsider that before you use but also that other uses of Dawn include removing oil with oil soaked wildlife. Try water and scrubbing 1st and see where you go !
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 15:44   #11

Dawn and other soaps like it remove wax. onsider that before you use but also that other uses of Dawn include removing oil with oil soaked wildlife. Try water and scrubbing 1st and see where you go !
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 15:45   #12

Boat: Hunter 380

I got a Stanley electric power washer from Home Depot. Very portable, well rated and plenty of cleaning power. You can add soap for initial wetting. Much much easier then the scrub brush method. Read and follow the directions. Good Warranty also. Link:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-...2050/302290919

And yes, I know there are folks that will BooHoo the use of a power washer. So be it. But, I am 70, and it works well for me.
SeaRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 17:17   #13

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp48 View Post
Water and a pressure washer. No detergent. Works for me.
Old 19-02-2019, 04:57   #14

you all are amazing, thank you so very MUCH!
nimbex1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 05:26   #15
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Simple Green certainly succeed is spinning their use of the word "green" into a fortune. Adding the word simple was brilliant. Buy this bottle and you've done everything right. Simple.

Really, if you look that the SDS information, it is little different from and no better than that vast majority of cleaners. For example, a cleaner based on borax and washing soda, appropriately diluted, would have an LC 50 of over 1000 mg/L and be more effective against mildew and lichens. Eco selling hype.

Aquatic:Aquatic Toxicity -Low, based on OECD 201, 202, 203 + Microtox: EC50& IC50≥100 mg/L. Volume of ingredients used does not trigger toxicity classifications under the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals.Terrestrial:Not tested on finished formulation.

(not my spelling error)

Tags
cleaning, deck, fiberglass, men