Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2018, 06:41   #1

Boat: Beneteau first 26
West Africa

Hello ,
After leaving the boat in canaries for almost one year it's time to continue with my journey , the next step after hauling out the boat and doing the so much needed maintenance ( been in the water for 2 years now ) I will be cruising until end of October in canaries , then a fast stop to Cape Varde , and then Senegal , Gambi. , Guinea bisau , cape Verde again and Caribbean around February.

If somebody has information about West Africa that can share it would be really helpful , the plan is to cruise slowly and enjoy , until now I have been studying pilot charts , admiralty charts , navionics and 2 cruising guides but any extra up to.date Information is welcome .

If you plan to visit any of the above mentioned countries I will be happy to meet and have some.fun
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 15:58   #2

Re: West Africa

None ?
Old 08-09-2018, 03:10   #3

I wish your trip to be amazing. I have read tons of books on sailing and let me tell you that most sailors somehow tend to avoid West Africa in their trip reports, I have seen it mentioned just once. Somehow it is supposed to be dangerous. Sailors just tend to avoid those parts from all the books I have read.

If you intend to come to Brasil, let me know. I might be in the caribbean around the time you will be there.
fernandosmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:15   #4

Boat: Herreshoff 36

Lot of (French) boat going to Gambia on that route,just ask around in the Canary anchorages, they will happy to help you.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:18   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
Hello ,
After leaving the boat in canaries for almost one year it's time to continue with my journey , the next step after hauling out the boat and doing the so much needed maintenance ( been in the water for 2 years now ) I will be cruising until end of October in canaries , then a fast stop to Cape Varde , and then Senegal , Gambi. , Guinea bisau , cape Verde again and Caribbean around February.

If somebody has information about West Africa that can share it would be really helpful , the plan is to cruise slowly and enjoy , until now I have been studying pilot charts , admiralty charts , navionics and 2 cruising guides but any extra up to.date Information is welcome .

If you plan to visit any of the above mentioned countries I will be happy to meet and have some.fun
i have cruised senegal,gambia,and the cape verdes,though not recently.
all the countries we found the people to be friendly and realitivly safe.

petty theft and outboard theft from boats anchored was a problem in some places making it nessasary to leave a crew member or local guard onboard at all times .
there have also been quite a few yachts stolen by migrants attempting to get to brazil.

malaria and denge fever is also an issue,many villages also have chigger worm parasites,so walking bare foot is not advised.

fairly big tides and strong currents around the biagos archepeligo in guinea bissau,so having a boat that can take the bottom will increase the options of places that you can visit.

visibility and sea fog can make identifing river entrances difficult.

getting back to the cape verdes might also be quite difficult in trade wind season.

i have 2 friends in guinea bissau that might be able to help with recent info there gilles runs a fishing camp on one of the islands
https://www.facebook.com/develayg?fb...MRLKQp_7FfiNzQ

and papis works for the government
https://www.facebook.com/papisdoming...MRLKQp_7FfiNzQ
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:49   #6

Thank you ,.I have already my residency card for bisau (girlfriend is from there ) I contacted Gilles maybe he can give some info for the currents.

I never sailed in rivers before and the boat is not the best for the ground so it's gonna be adventurous.

Through it suppose to hold her weight , she came with legs from the shipyard

Tags
Africa