Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2018, 06:58   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380
Fountaine Pajot takes over Dufour

Maybe they will put cats into the former Dufour monohullproduction lines? » french kiss | Sailing Anarchy
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:49   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Fountaine Pajot takes over Dufour

According to italian magazine solovela, the main driver for FP is not necessarily venture on the monohull market but rather take the control of 5.000 sqm manufacturing site in the area which is not used by Dufour since they dropped the production of Gibsea. Moreover, they also want to use skilled manpower available in Dufour for the increased demand on cats. It's also said that because of increasing demand particularly on cat yards, there is hardly any qualified work force remaind available in the Atlantic coast of France..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 14:30   #3

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
According to italian magazine solovela, the main driver for FP is not necessarily venture on the monohull market but rather take the control of 5.000 sqm manufacturing site in the area which is not used by Dufour since they dropped the production of Gibsea. Moreover, they also want to use skilled manpower available in Dufour for the increased demand on cats. It's also said that because of increasing demand particularly on cat yards, there is hardly any qualified work force remaind available in the Atlantic coast of France..

Cheers

Yeloya
they do not consider cheap parts of asia to move the work like anglo industries. Success rate venturing there seem to be mediocre at best for boat industry at least. No skills, for starters, and no understanding even what they building - scared of even swimming in sea...
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:42   #4

They have no need to roll the dice moving production. They are currently killing it with design and production and as unfortunate as that hurricane was for all of us, it has created a backlog of orders for FP. The 47 and 42 spell out the new design language and I'm sure this factory will speed the production rate significantly. Being able to share manpower, supplies, and oversight between factories far outweigh the labor savings making boats on the other side of the world.

Fingers crossed for a 50' revision and maybe a 45' to split the difference between the 42 and the Saona now that Helia is retired.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 21:00   #5

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalas View Post
They have no need to roll the dice moving production. They are currently killing it with design and production and as unfortunate as that hurricane was for all of us, it has created a backlog of orders for FP. The 47 and 42 spell out the new design language and I'm sure this factory will speed the production rate significantly. Being able to share manpower, supplies, and oversight between factories far outweigh the labor savings making boats on the other side of the world.

Fingers crossed for a 50' revision and maybe a 45' to split the difference between the 42 and the Saona now that Helia is retired.

French also share costs of R&D. All cruising cats of same generation and different manufacturers look very similar and i think this is due to latest R&D that is shared between few companies.

Although my cat is most volume in 40 ft range, to my surprise tacks better than any older sportier cat i have sailed. I know same is true for other french cats of same generation. This is direct result of latest in R&D.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:07   #6

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalas View Post

But have you seen the cost of the New 42; it's more than the Helia 44 18 months ago. :-( She looks gorgeous, but I'd still take the davits over the optional platform. Too much weight aft for me.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 15:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
But have you seen the cost of the New 42; it's more than the Helia 44 18 months ago. :-( She looks gorgeous, but I'd still take the davits over the optional platform. Too much weight aft for me.
You're right about the weight aft. They also moved the gennies to the engine bays after too much salty wear in the forward locker. The 42 seems to have the same livable space as the Helia. They're just getting better with each refinement in the layouts. I LOVE the shared shower solution for the guest cabin heads. Such a better use of space. I feel slapping will be much less than Saona which got VERY aggressive with the forward transverse beds cantering into the bridge deck clearance.

Unfortunately, market forces are telling them they can charge more for a smaller albeit newer model.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Dufour, fountaine pajot